Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 minute ago, tweak said:

Yep a lot of people recommend it. I've found it's not essential to me, maybe I just don't notice the Moire or don't shoot things that would get it that much...

With the 5D mark II it's for me a big issue, If there is too much repetitive pattern this creates too much visibles artifacts. There is exist maybe a solution in post.

If ML will (maybe) unlock lossless compression + stable 10/12bits record on the 5D mark II, i will buy this VAF filter.

moire.jpg

Oh yeah, it's there I know that haha. But often you look for it and see it when other people wouldn't even notice that. I mainly shoot sports and stuff without a lot of patterns and lines that effect it, so I'm not really worried by it.

• Administrators

The moire was definitely more a problem combined with the soft muddiness of the internal Canon codec, it stood out like a sore thumb. Now the image in raw is so sharp, the false detail makes it pop even more and it doesn't seem to bother me as much especially as you can solve the problem with a simple filter.

46 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The moire was definitely more a problem combined with the soft muddiness of the internal Canon codec, it stood out like a sore thumb. Now the image in raw is so sharp, the false detail makes it pop even more and it doesn't seem to bother me as much especially as you can solve the problem with a simple filter.

The most annoying scenario if you are shooting wide establishing shot with lot of fine details.

With the following settings you can greatly reduce aliasing and moire:

- shooting with closed aperture, at F22, diffraction is a good thing here

- 1/50 shutter also helps to blur the aliasing while the camera moves

- chroma channel blur can greatly reduce the moire, but also lowers the resolution of the color

- poor codecs can hide the effect of the moire, so youtube's poor quality gives a little help :)

You can see an example on this link , please download the footage before watch

2 hours ago, SlanderShot said:

With the 5D mark II it's for me a big issue, If there is too much repetitive pattern this creates too much visibles artifacts. There is exist maybe a solution in post.

If ML will (maybe) unlock lossless compression + stable 10/12bits record on the 5D mark II, i will buy this VAF filter.

moire.jpg

that's NOT artifacts . XD

• Administrators

Yes you can enter crop mode. It's more than 3x because it's APS-C size sensor, which is 1.6x crop to begin with.

It is similar to how Ex-Tele on the GH2 looked...

The exact crop factors in crop mode for each camera are here: http://www.eoshd.com/2017/06/magic-lantern-raw-video-current-camera-capabilities-updated-2017/

A very useful tool for telephoto work. Only the 3K/2K crop mode on the 5D3 with lossless raw is useable for 'normal' shots.

Hi there,

with everyone talking about 10 & 12bit recording and compressed etc... How do I activate it - can someone help me please? I still have an old nightly build. Just downloaded 113 - 2017-06-26 nightly build and activated "mlv_lite" but there is no option for 10 or 12bit nor compressed. Also there is no "crop mode" option in the movie menu. I use the 5D Mark III. Would be great if someone can chime in and tell me how to enable it. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Yes you can enter crop mode. It's more than 3x because it's APS-C size sensor, which is 1.6x crop to begin with.

It is similar to how Ex-Tele on the GH2 looked...

The exact crop factors in crop mode for each camera are here: http://www.eoshd.com/2017/06/magic-lantern-raw-video-current-camera-capabilities-updated-2017/

A very useful tool for telephoto work. Only the 3K/2K crop mode on the 5D3 with lossless raw is useable for 'normal' shots.

I have some nice s16 c mount lenses, that i would love to use on something...a crop and a c mount adapter.

• Administrators
16 hours ago, daniel+ said:

Hi there,

with everyone talking about 10 & 12bit recording and compressed etc... How do I activate it - can someone help me please? I still have an old nightly build. Just downloaded 113 - 2017-06-26 nightly build and activated "mlv_lite" but there is no option for 10 or 12bit nor compressed. Also there is no "crop mode" option in the movie menu. I use the 5D Mark III. Would be great if someone can chime in and tell me how to enable it. Thanks!

For the 5D3 you have to scroll down to Compressed raw recording, in Experiments -

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

It's not in the standard nightly builds yet.

For the other cameras, have fun searching the forums for builds, until somebody puts them all in one place :)

The point is these are all beta, not finished, or finalised versions of Magic Lantern. So use at your own risk!

15 hours ago, jagnje said:

I have some nice s16 c mount lenses, that i would love to use on something...a crop and a c mount adapter.

S16 and C-mount lenses don't adapt to Canon EF mount. You'll need to use them on Micro Four Thirds.

• Administrators

EOS M mount is an option but again haven't tried this myself yet...

Are you sure you're not mistaking EF for EOS M mount? Got a link?

I haven't seen any c-mount to EF mount adapters personally, but I can definitely say they won't give you anything but extreme macro focus.

Yes MFT is bigger than 16mm, and a little bigger than Super 16mm also, so you will get vignetting on the wide angle stuff... Not all, but most.

You are best sticking to 25mm, 50mm, 75mm, 85mm, etc.

2 hours ago, jagnje said:

there a many c mout to ef adapters...so no infinity with them? I have the MFT adapter, but only the 25mm one covers the sensor, anything wider doesn`t.

If you're using a GH4/G7/GX85/G85, a lot of vintage 1" 12.5mm TV lenses will cover. The faster the aperture, the better the coverage. With the GX85 and IBIS on, I got full coverage with the 20mm Meopta lens.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

EOS M mount is an option but again haven't tried this myself yet...

Are you sure you're not mistaking EF for EOS M mount? Got a link?

I haven't seen any c-mount to EF mount adapters personally, but I can definitely say they won't give you anything but extreme macro focus.

Yes MFT is bigger than 16mm, and a little bigger than Super 16mm also, so you will get vignetting on the wide angle stuff... Not all, but most.

You are best sticking to 25mm, 50mm, 75mm, 85mm, etc.

ok, I see now...only macro. 

2 hours ago, mercer said:

If you're using a GH4/G7/GX85/G85, a lot of vintage 1" 12.5mm TV lenses will cover. The faster the aperture, the better the coverage. With the GX85 and IBIS on, I got full coverage with the 20mm Meopta lens.

the set I got with the bolex s16 doesn`t...kern pailard lenses, 10mm, 18, and 25, only the 25 will not vignete. Well I should have gotten the BM pocket a long btime ago anyway, which should work, I got good excuse now :)

4 minutes ago, jagnje said:

ok, I see now...only macro. 

the set I got with the bolex s16 doesn`t...kern pailard lenses, 10mm, 18, and 25, only the 25 will not vignete. Well I should have gotten the BM pocket a long btime ago anyway, which should work, I got good excuse now :)

I'm selling my like new one if you live in the states.

8 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

For the 5D3 you have to scroll down to Compressed raw recording, in Experiments -

https://builds.magiclantern.fm/experiments.html

It's not in the standard nightly builds yet.

For the other cameras, have fun searching the forums for builds, until somebody puts them all in one place :)

The point is these are all beta, not finished, or finalised versions of Magic Lantern. So use at your own risk!

S16 and C-mount lenses don't adapt to Canon EF mount. You'll need to use them on Micro Four Thirds.

Thanks very much Andrew! Didn't knew that. Was searching the ML menus like crazy :-)