Magic Lantern Raw Video

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
46 minutes ago, Deadcode said:

The secret of the 5D3 4K is not just the 10/12 bit mode but the new lossless raw compression feature. It's possibile to use 14 bit raw mode with 54% compression rate which is more effective then the 10 bit mode alone. It can be combined with 12 bit to get even smaller file sizes (or higher continous resolutions). The strange thing is with 10 bit the compression is not that effective.

The downside: the live view is unusable right now if you use compression, and the recording could stop if the image information exceeds the card's max write rate. So the efficiency  of the compression level is flexible. 3,5K continous recording is possibile if you are using higher ISO values (lower dynamic range, less steps in the highlights, more compression possibile) with the 5D3 such as ISO800+

The MLVFS just updated few weeks ago to handle to compressed raw

The compression is an original canon feature and it could work with any camera from 5D2 through 600D but it's in the alpa stage in development right now.

Ah yes this brings me bang up to date. I haven't shot with it yet so forgot all about it.

Is lossless compressed RAW in development for any of the other cameras, or is it only the 5D Mark III which has the processor for it?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
21 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Ah yes this brings me bang up to date. I haven't shot with it yet so forgot all about it.

Is lossless compressed RAW in development for any of the other cameras, or is it only the 5D Mark III which has the processor for it?

If i remember correctly it's working with EosM and 700D and 5D3. Others have missing registers for the process, if im wrong stephen will correct me :)

Lossless RAW compression forum discussion

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, Milan Karolic said:

Hello guys,
Where did you find 10bit version of ML for 70D ?
Is it official one or nightly ?
It's really hard going through pages in 70D ML section ...

It's not an official build or a nightly on their site.

Yes it is confusing at first.

I found mine deep in a forum post at ML, with a link to dropbox / google drive.

I'll try and dig it out again or upload the ZIP.

38 minutes ago, Deadcode said:

If i remember correctly it's working with EosM and 700D and 5D3. Others have missing registers for the process, if im wrong stephen will correct me :)

Lossless RAW compression forum discussion

Great. But seen as the max res on the EOS M is 1728x694 without going to with a very heavy crop factor, I suppose lossless is more useful on the 5D3.

On the 700D, the max Super 35mm recording mode resolution is 1728x1156, which is a lot better than EOS M but still not quite 3K is it :)

Great that it works on those cameras though.

Is there a build of it working (or even semi-working) on the 70D or 100D?

Think it was NikFreak on the Magic Lantern forums that did the 70D build with 10bit raw but can't find the link there now. (Took me hours to find it in the first place!)

It had some issues, so don't expect 100% reliability. It's experimental and based on 6 month old version of Magic Lantern.

I'll be trying it for the first time tomorrow when my 70D arrives from WEX. £510 for a used body in good condition, not bad! A lot cheaper than getting a C200 innit?!

magiclantern-Nightly.2017Jan06.70D112.zip

9 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Wow 48p huh?!

Still trying to get a picture of where the capabilities are across the entire range. Is this a 7D one-off, or can other cameras do it?

Here you can find a raw calculator to find out the recording times. Higher then 30p recording is only possible if the body knows higher framerates out of box

1920x816 60p is possible with 5D3 for a short amount of time

13 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Wow 48p huh?!

Still trying to get a picture of where the capabilities are across the entire range. Is this a 7D one-off, or can other cameras do it?

It's a one off, a neat hack stumbled upon by one of the members on the ML forums (couldn't find the link). It's 14bit Raw. Lossless isn't a thing on 7D yet and I don't think 10 or 12 bit work properly either.

7D is the only camera to have this as far as I know.

4 minutes ago, Deadcode said:

Here you can find a raw calculator to find out the recording times. Higher then 30p recording is only possible if the body knows higher framerates out of box

1920x816 60p is possible with 5D3 for a short amount of time

Almost all cameras you would want to shoot Raw with have a 720p 60fps mode (50d as some people use maybe not).

5D3 max fps is something like 67fps, not continuously obviously.

• Administrators

OK good to know.

Can anyone point to a build for the 700D which includes the latest progress on Lossless compressed raw?

This works in 10bit as well as 14bit?

It brings 1728x1156 down to under 40MB/s according to the calculator, making it continuous?

Still not quite a 5D Mark III but 700D is £250 on eBay!!

7 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

OK good to know.

Can anyone point to a build for the 700D which includes the latest progress on Lossless compressed raw?

This works in 10bit as well as 14bit?

It brings 1728x1156 down to under 40MB/s according to the calculator, making it continuous?

Still not quite a 5D Mark III but 700D is £250 on eBay!!

Dont get too excited, it is really on early stage of development

You have to add the compressed raw branch to your nightly build from the experiments section .

You can brick the camera so be careful

Broken live view, no sound recording.

But yes 1728x1156 can be continous 

Compression is good with 14 bit, working with 12 bit, and almost useless with 10 bit. I mean you wont get much smaller file sizes with 10 bit + compression (because the way the 10 bit implemented and because how the compression works, it's a hard to read article from A1ex) 

I think the upcoming SL2 is rumored to have an articulating screen. It would make for a nice camera if they can get ML going for it.

Edit: Plus DPAF and fully articulated TOUCHSCREEN (one of the things Canon does better than anyone else currently).

What would be interesting is, since they're not going to do 4K, if they were to do in-camera conversion from full sensor resolution to 1080p. At least then the 1080p would be of high quality.

Thanks, excellent and informative writeup. I have an old 5DII, maybe I should test...

How is the workflow after the capture to get it to editing SW like FCPX? 

Is there a way to get good HDMI video out from 5D II to use external recorder?

Does anyone have any oddball lens recommendations for the 5D3? I am shooting a flashback and I want it to have that 110/Polaroid look that you see in old photos stored in a tin. I know a lot of that look can be done in post, but I want to start off with that low contrast, dreamy look. Obviously a Helios came to mind at first but are there any other options?

I guess I can use my Nikkor 35mm 1.4 wide open, just wondering if there were any vintage, odd cine/still lenses that would fit the FF.

37 minutes ago, mercer said:

How is moire with the 70D compared to the 100D or 5D3? I thought I heard it was pretty bad, is it as bad as the BMPCC?

I would imagine it's pretty bad, probably similar to 7D. That being said I don't find it as big of an issue as everyone makes it out to be (especially in Raw).