Any feedback from Fuji X-T2 users?

Germy1979

Hello all,

With all the cameras that have been announced over the last year or so, I've kind of found an online love affair with the X-T2..  From what little footage I've seen from it, it just looks amazing to me, - almost better than most - and that's just straight out of camera.  - but I don't hear much about it at all.  I'd love to see some more footage of a cinematic nature perhaps, hear some feedback from existing users??  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 hours ago, Germy1979 said:

but I don't hear much about it at all.  I'd love to see some more footage of a cinematic nature perhaps, hear some feedback from existing users??  

yeah, me too. whos shooting with the xt2 in june 2017?

whos been using one in the past year? love it/hate it? pros/cons? 

it looks like a really fun camera to use

• Super Members

I have it and will probably make some sort of review.

The controls are nice, I don't consider them "retro". Instead I think of them as forward thinking and made to make it easier for the operator instead of fiddly buttons and wheels like a "normal" camera.

The lower collars however aren't very good imo.

The video is really nice. Its a bit of a shame that the histogram disappears in video mode. Toggling the drive collar is a workaround but I hope it will be fixed in the next firmware.

The display and evf are decent. Nothing ground breaking accept for the portrait tilt function. Personally I love having just a flip instead of a fully articulated. If it had that I would never have bought it.

Battery life suck balls.

The grip is ok. At least better than the X-T20. I straight out hate the XT20 grip. But the X-T2 still needs a case or third party grip for my hands.

Overall I like the camera but Im considering making a jump to a X-Pro1 or 2. Or even the X-T20. Since I already have lenses for Fuji.

My advice is to think long and hard about the few extra features that separates the X-T2 from the X-T20. Do you really "need" them...

And if its just for stills I wouldn't get any of them when the XT1, XT10 and XP1 are so cheap. For hobby use at least.

Im debating buying a XT20 (or g80) for work so that might give me some more insight.

• Super Members
Just now, kaylee said:

interesting! would you mind if i asked why? 

Size and less interference with cables, cage, etc.

And for street shooting a flip screen is awesome. People think you are fiddling with a menu while taking their picture. A fully articulated is more "Hey look at me, I have a camera!" :)

I own two XT2's and have shot about 10,000 stills and many hours of video over the last few months as I'm traveling around the world with them.

What I like -- love the image, the controls are nice, body is rock solid, battery life is good for a mirrorless camera (I fired off over 1,000 stills and a half hour of video on one battery), the 10-24, 18-55 and 55-200 are great video lenses and the camera is very fast in operation - dual UHS-II cards means you're not waiting for the camera to finish writing to the card very often. AF is really good, but not as good as Sony's when shooting video, Fuji can't track people like Sony and when shooting stills Sony's eye AF is way ahead of everything else. Given the AF improvements made on earlier models, I expect Fuji to make improvements to the XT2's AF over time. The funky tilt screen is very functional when shooting in portrait mode, I've used it a lot more than I thought I would. You can assign pretty much everything you need to custom buttons so after the camera is setup there is minimal menu diving - everything else goes into My Menu or the Q menu for easy access.

What I hate -- the mode dial/switch that you have flip if you want to move from stills to video. There needs to be a record button. If you're not shooting both at the same time its not an issue, but video is 4 clicks from single shot mode - flipping between them is cumbersome and it gets annoying after doing it a couple hundred times in a single day. So for me - as a travel camera - it sucks donkey balls. Also there are no stabilized primes and the best standard zoom - the 16-55/2.8 - is not stabilized. Rolling shutter is as bad as the other oversampled APS-c/FF 4k mirrorless cameras, so using any of Fuji's stellar fast primes or the 16-55 handheld means jello-vision. Also, as noted in the giant XT2 thread, internal lens compensation can change exposure mid shot on the wide zooms. No internal Log either, though as with the AF I suspect it will show up in a FW update down the line.

IBIS would make stabilization a non-issue, but Fuji isn't going that route and as of now won't put OS in any primes either. For me this is getting closer to being a deal breaker with every passing day and has me considering moving back to Sony or possibly getting something like the EM1.2/GH5

• Super Members

EDIT:
I was informed that the histogram was fixed already. So Im updating my camera.
It seems they have somewhat fixed another thing I thought was very disappointing.
The camera isn't very customizable. You can't sign very much functions to buttons, which is a total bummer when you are used to that (GRii).
But they have given a few options for it in firmware. But it could be so much better imo...

I've sold all my gear to purchase a C200.. except for my XT2. This camera is something special, I just love it. Grip is indispensable imo. Camera is really inconspicuous too, great for shooting video in sensitive locations or putting at ease subjects for interviews. Of course camera isn't perfect. Biggest gripe for me is absence of internal log. But overall the 4K image is just formidable and requires little to no post thanks to excellent white balance and colour science.. the kit lens with OIS is also great and on it 80% time for video. I've also started using my Nikon glass on XT2 using a cheap adapter..

• Super Members

They added audio memo to it based on feedback from sports photographers, which is a good thing.

And then still didn't add being able to assign the lock image function to a function key because, I was told by them, no one had ever mentioned it being needed. Despite it being such a fundamental part of the workflow that all Nikon and Canon pro bodies have a dedicated button for it, let alone just allowing it to be assigned to a function key.

So, I expect that the next firmware update will allow even more stuff to be put on the function keys.

The 4K image of the X-T2 is fine and the build quality of both the body and lenses is exceptional. But it's been sitting unused in the dry box for months. I much prefer shooting with the Lumix G85. I prefer the menu system, the larger handgrip, easier to see information in the viewfinder, a remote app that actually works, the ergonomics, the articulating touch screen, IBIS and zebras.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Inazuma said:

You mean lock settings?? That is assignable

Lock an individual image while reviewing it instead of going through the menu and the stupid double confirmation?

I'm buggered if I can find it and Fuji told me that it doesn't do it because no one ever asked for it!

Where is it?

1 hour ago, Kubrickian said:

I love my X-T2. I've only had it for about a month and used it mainly for stills so far. Planning on doing more video soon. I carefully chose my lenses around their IS zooms for video use and their weather-sealed primes for photo. Here's a couple shots I got in Hollywood. 

19092854_10154743875089077_2656034548898629573_o.jpg

18954845_10154743875209077_3125194973191601347_o.jpg

Man, Fuji colors and smog look amazing. I think Fuji is the only brand I haven't tested... hmm... x-t20 is pretty inexpensive...

11 minutes ago, jonpais said:

The 4K image of the X-T2 is fine and the build quality of both the body and lenses is exceptional. But it's been sitting unused in the dry box for months. I much prefer shooting with the Lumix G85. I prefer the menu system, the larger handgrip, easier to see information in the viewfinder, a remote app that actually works, the ergonomics, the articulating touch screen, IBIS and zebras.

Okay, since you are an owner of both cameras, if you had to compare solely on image quality and color, which would you choose? I agree some sort of IBIS would be great, menus... ehh... even Sony menus don't take a genius to figure out so how bad could they be? And zebras... I can take or leave them. IMO they're good for a quick reference but as you know I don't use them to expose... except for Raw. With 8bit cameras, you can usually judge by eye or the in camera meter if the image will be overexposed or not. So, based on 4K quality and color... which would you pick up more often?

20 minutes ago, mercer said:

Man, Fuji colors and smog look amazing. I think Fuji is the only brand I haven't tested... hmm... x-t20 is pretty inexpensive...

Okay, since you are an owner of both cameras, if you had to compare solely on image quality and color, which would you choose? I agree some sort of IBIS would be great, menus... ehh... even Sony menus don't take a genius to figure out so how bad could they be? And zebras... I can take or leave them. IMO they're good for a quick reference but as you know I don't use them to expose... except for Raw. With 8bit cameras, you can usually judge by eye or the in camera meter if the image will be overexposed or not. So, based on 4K quality and color... which would you pick up more often?

I would pick the X-T2 hands down, however?image quality doesn't exist in a vacuum. 

• Super Members
13 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I would pick the X-T2 hands down, however?image quality doesn't exist in a vacuum. 

No, it exists mainly in the dry box now ;) 

Ties in with the other thread on a different level really about there no point something having 20% better image quality if its 100% more difficult to shoot with.

I think thats why the X-T20 might be the decent compromise for people after the image quality of the X-T2 with more of the form factor of the G7/G80 sort of camera.

4 minutes ago, jonpais said:

Thanks jon and that is true. It's hard to shoot without IBIS once I've used it. And I have used Panasonic's, Sony's and Olympus' version. Of those 3, I find Olympus' to work the best, but I already have an amazing 1080p camera, so for me to invest in a 4K camera, for casual use, for $2000, the e-m1 Mark ii is a hard pill to swallow. 

I have tested a ton of cameras over the past year or two and I have repeatedly said my two favorite images are from my 5D3 with ML Raw and my D5500. And even though I am intrigued by the D7500, the lack of features and crop is keeping me from buying it at $1250.

As a Canon and Nikon shooter, it seems like Fuji may be a good alternative when 4K, color, and organic image quality are my top priorities. For some reason, I don't know if it is the photographic history behind these companies but after hours of extensive research and hours of extensive testing, I have learned that I prefer the image and color from Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Fuji moreso than from Panasonic and Sony... even though I have been recently intrigued by images I have seen from the A7ii.

Unfortunately, that doesn't leave me with a lot of options if I decide 4K is a necessity for a casual camera. As of now it is down to the D7500 or the X-T20. By the end of the summer, Olympus will have announced the E-M10 Mk III and hopefully that will be similarly priced  and they will make my decision a lot easier.