Cheap wide glass for 5D mark IV? looking for recommendations

Christina Ava

The 18-35mm Sigma has 72mm filter threads and you can stop down pretty far with it (f16 or f22 I think). So I don't see the issue shooting in bright light. Optically it's better than the 17-55mm f2.8 IS, which doesn't have great IS anyway and you need to remove the EF-S tab (seeing as it's Canon-branded) and even then you'd want to check clearance with your mirror so it might not work in the first place.

Between the two, I'd get the Sigma for sure! I've had two samples of the Canon and the Sigma blows it away (both are good).

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
45 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Canon 17-55mm F2.8 at least has stabiliser, so maybe for video that is more useful than F1.8...

Would be a nice lens on Speed Booster too if we ever persuade Christina out of her Canon love affair ;)

Seeing as both are APS-C and designed for a roughly 1.6x crop... and the 5D's video is a 1.6x crop... I don't think the speed booster would do that much good (maybe you could squeeze 10% more FOV out of the Sigma).

I would be careful with the Canon. The rear element might bump up against the mirror and you will need to remove the EF-S tab just to get it to mount. Furthermore, its IS is not particularly good, not as good as in the current kit lenses by far. It's a nice lens though, despite that.

• Administrators

Speed Booster does not go on the 5D. I am talking about if the lens was used on the GH5 with Speed Booster.

Meanwhile, I might be looking at a similar lens situation myself as I get back to shooting some Magic Lantern raw.

the canon 17-55mm F2.8  could hit the mirror and it also could not focus to  

i have a moded 85mm FD 1.2 and it cant reach to ∞ because it would break the mirror, 

if the sigma 18-35mm does take filters its a good choice,since it will work directly no fuss, and with 72mm thread i have the tiffen nd to fit 

14 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Speed Booster does not go on the 5D. I am talking about if the lens was used on the GH5 with Speed Booster.

Meanwhile, I might be looking at a similar lens situation myself as I get back to shooting some Magic Lantern raw.

andrew and now that the canon Mark 3 is my second cam I can shoot ML raw without stress