Canon 6D Mark II lacks 4K video - What were they thinking?!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It's the same stabilization you praised in the XC10. With that being said, I cannot believe the company that started the DSLR revolution does not have a 4K capable mid range DSLR in 2017? Even Nikon has two. I really don't think it is about protecting anything, if it were, they wouldn't offer DPAF in every DSLR in their line up. A year ago it was admitted that they don't have the heat dissipation figured out yet. Apparently nobody wants the high bitrate codec from Canon.... oldly enough Panasonic gets praised for it... but whatever. Maybe in their upcoming FF mirrorless. 

• Super Members

(IMO)

I cant believe we are still having this discussion.
Canon is the number one best selling camera company. They haven't forgotten to put in 4K. Nor made a non thinking decision. Or because of conservatism. Or any of the other hundreds of reasons we will see on forums across the world.

They have made the decision based on MONEY!
They have spent lots of time, research, endless meetings, focus groups, analyzed data, you know... all that stuff that people in forums have absolutely not done.
And based on their findings they have made a decision.

So far they have been right every single time. No matter what Panasony puts in their cameras Canon is still outselling them.

And if that wasn't enough. This is the 6D... its always been their sub 5D model... And its an awesome stills camera. Aimed at the people out there who actually buys cameras.. stills shooters.
Now if they would have put 4K video and IBIS in their 6D. Driven the cost to the same level or at least to close to the 5D. And scared of the biggest bulk of the camera buying target group, who actually quite often gets mad about having to pay for video features...
Well that would have been truly stupid.

But whats most supricing of all.
This happens every single time. They are not now nor ever going to release a stills camera that will wow the video crowd. So just let it go.
Its the same thing when all the whining about Blackmagic delays are rolling the interent. Even though its how they do it every single time.

5 minutes ago, Mattias Burling said:

(IMO)

I cant believe we are still having this discussion.
Canon is the number one best selling camera company. They haven't forgotten to put in 4K. Nor made a non thinking decision. Or because of conservatism. Or any of the other hundreds of reasons we will see on forums across the world.

They have made the decision based on MONEY!
They have spent lots of time, research, endless meetings, focus groups, analyzed data, you know... all that stuff that people in forums have absolutely not done.
And based on their findings they have made a decision.

So far they have been right every single time. No matter what Panasony puts in their cameras Canon is still outselling them.

And if that wasn't enough. This is the 6D... its always been their sub 5D model... And its an awesome stills camera. Aimed at the people out there who actually buys cameras.. stills shooters.
Now if they would have put 4K video and IBIS in their 6D. Driven the cost to the same level or at least to close to the 5D. And scared of the biggest bulk of the camera buying target group, who actually quite often gets mad about having to pay for video features...
Well that would have been truly stupid.

You are right. But that does not mean they might be wrong you know. Also Kodak did their research, did their decisions based on that, and were number one... at least for some time :) Don't think you can't fall just because you're too big, it happened before and can easily happen again. I hate to say that, but look at GoPro :(  

1 hour ago, mercer said:

Apparently nobody wants the high bitrate codec from Canon.... oldly enough Panasonic gets praised for it... but whatever. Maybe in their upcoming FF mirrorless. 

Panasonic get's praised because they offer different codecs for different shooters. Why is that so hard to understand? 

I think the argument for lack of 4k makes much more sense on the Cinema line... there, 4k is expected in 2017. Likewise minimum 10 bit color depth. Using DSLR for video was a more compelling case in the past. That's not to say DSLRs do not still have a place in filmmaking. Many would argue that there is nothing wrong with showing up to a paid gig with a DSLR to shoot video. But I would argue it is akin to showing up to a paid stills shoot with a C300. It's a great tool, but not the ideal tool for a stills shoot.

WHO CARES?

DSLRs are NOT even born for shooting videos!

Canon is telling you to buy their C ceries cinema cameras 

If they give it up,that means C ceries are dead and big failure,which canon won't let it happen!

Remember the AF series form  Panasonic which R.I.P  now?

Canon don't want to make the same mistake

Panasonic cameras are video-oriented, that's their positioning in the market. Cannons are not. They have a separate line of video-cameras for that, much more expensive yes, but I guess that is their calculation, of a most profitable approach. Anyway, DSLR sells are in decline for everyone, and will fall more and more with every year, so we will see if Canon survives or get squeezed to a specific narrow niche.   

Same old Canon strategy, which is a bit of a surprise after the C200 announcement. However, they still have a monopoly in a shrinking market and they are very unlikely to fail for at least a couple of years. Most DSLR purchases are just a better-point-and-shoot kind of mentality - just like someone buying an SUV over a minivan so he can park on the pavement more easily, but never really use it for offroad driving.

6DmkII may loose thousands of sales due to disappointed video PROs, but it will gain tens of thousands of regular consumers, ready for the big toys (that are easy to use due to dual pixel AF and swivel screen). Imagine a sales guy in a consumer electronic store getting yelled at by a customer who cannot believe he would sell him a camera that takes video that he can't even playback on his laptop or tablet and takes an eternity to upload or even eats ups his whole data plan and fills his paltry 16gb card in a pinch.

• Administrators
4 hours ago, satoshi said:

Fuark! Solid upgrade! Who needs 4k? 5dmk3 ML raw image is still better than almost anything
Would buy/10

Bad defence.

6D Mark II doesn't have ML RAW!

3 hours ago, mercer said:

It's the same stabilization you praised in the XC10.

It's not the same at all. Different chipset and processor.

Performance will be completely different and likely much worse.

Also there are key lenses still without OIS to support optimal EIS performance, like the Canon 24-70mm F2.8L II.

1 hour ago, anonim said:

Well, maybe Canon is starting to count on ML as its hidden weapon?

Don't make me laugh! They'd rather it didn't exist.

1 hour ago, Chris Oh said:

Wait.  Full frame, mirrorless, true IBIS, articulating screen, DPAF, "Canon colors", 200mb 1080p, 4K60p, med/low 4k codec in body, high quality codec clean 4k external output, optional XLR audio module, for around $3000 from Canon is not going to happen in 2017?  /S

What a stupid comment!

All I am asking for is an editable 4K codec on their 2017 DSLRs costing $2000+!

34 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

6DmkII may loose thousands of sales due to disappointed video PROs, but it will gain tens of thousands of regular consumers, ready for the big toys (that are easy to use due to dual pixel AF and swivel screen). Imagine a sales guy in a consumer electronic store getting yelled at by a customer who cannot believe he would sell him a camera that takes video that he can't even playback on his laptop or tablet and takes an eternity to upload or even eats ups his whole data plan and fills his paltry 16gb card in a pinch.

So have 4K disabled out of the box and a $100 add on like V-LOG on the GH5, then.

26 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

What a stupid comment!

All I am asking for is an editable 4K codec on their 2017 DSLRs costing $2000+

"/S" = sarcasm. 

I'm agreeing with you, but I gave up on Canon to shoot video with, with my needs long time ago. Their decisions are based on money and not offering latest and greatest to the customers.