Samsung NX1 vs Sony A6500 for run-n-gun in the sun!

Elliot M

Has anyone here compared the NX1 with Sony's A6500 for documentary video work?

For 1080p delivery, with interviews and observational b-roll, the NX1 on paper still seems best: light enough to fit on a gimbal, useable touchscreen autofocus, mic input, near-enough flat profile for grading, decent OSS lenses - so like the A6500, but with less rolling shutter, no overheating, longer battery life and headphone input.

Or am I missing something?

For those of you A6500 users in sizzling areas at the moment (hello tropical London), how are you finding the A6500 holding up for video work? If you've moved to the A6500 from the NX1, how do you feel about it?

Thanks all!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I had an NX1 and used it for a  shoot in the hot afternoon sun and it did not over heat or seem to care that it was really, really hot out that day. So, heat wise the NX1 would be better. As far is image quality, the dynamic range of SLOG may be just what you are looking if your subject is not facing the sun. If you can manage to light the subject with a reflector or some how manage to reduce the dynamic range then the image coming out of the NX1 will be excellent in the sun. Also, if you are shooting 1080p, I found that auto focus and rolling shutter where better at 120 fps, the lens that tended to auto focus the best at that frame rate was the 45mm 1.8.  I struggled with the fact that my 7" external monitor was not bright enough so I had to put a t-shirt over my head to see OK. Anyways, if you have access to one of the new super bright monitors (Atomos Flame or SmallHD 5") then it will be easier to judge exposure when out in the sun.

I've used the NX1 on a 20 hour shoot day where the temps ranged from the mid 80s - mid 90s and had no overheating issues. Also handy is that the NX1 can be powered through USB. On sticks or a good shoulder rig, I velcro on one of those big USB power bricks and I don't have to worry about batteries for a couple of days.

I have used a6300 and it was a disappointment (overheating, battery life, ergonomics).

In most Sony reviews I read sentences like that "1080 video is surprisingly poor by current standards, even taking a step backward from the original a6000, and falling far behind what the company's own RX100 cameras are capable of."

Also, "the 120p and 100p modes of Full HD video are shot using a smaller, 1.14x crop in from here and 30p 4K imposes a still tighter, 1.23x crop."

Samsung offers me all the native lenses I need (except an S ultra wide zoom), while Sony doesn't.

Samsung's AMOLED screens are just amazing, best ergonomics in class (in my opinion), great battery life.

I have used all my NX cameras (even NX500!) in the hottest days on south-eastern Europe for many hours (or, too many at times!) and never failed me (knock wood!), all my friends aXXXX cameras have overheating issues.

I have not used any Samsung cameras. But I have an a6300 and I think it is supposed to be close enough to an a6500 that I feel confident in telling you that if you are looking for a camera to shoot 1080p in hot sunny days then there are several cameras better than an a6300.

The 4K of the a6300 (and most likely a6500) is very detailed and the a6300 / a6500 have excellent low light performance.

For 1080p 60fps the a6000 would have better image quality than the a6300 / a6500 until noise become problematic.