Which one: A7Sii vs SONY X70?

Jeevan Singh Kitare

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
On 6/17/2017 at 8:40 PM, Jeevan Singh Kitare said:

For use on a jib, shooting wedding receptions (which are sometimes dimly lit). The only thing holding me back from the A7sii is the rolling shutter and overheating problems. What does everyone think I should purchase?

I don't think rolling shutter would be noticeable as there is not much movement usually in weddings video.

However I think you would be better with a video camera (like the new AE1, the JVS LS-300 or something similar with ND filters, Viewfinder and proper XLR Audio) than with a DSLR if money is not a huge problem. Just my own thoughts, depends on your priorities (Image Quality, Low light, Ease of use, Audio, ND filters, battery life and so on)

• Administrators

Get a GH5 if rolling shutter is a concern.

Or shoot in full frame 4K mode on the A7R II which does pixel binning rather than a full sensor readout in that mode, so less rolling shutter.

X70 has a completely different aesthetic to the A7S II... Does that not matter to you?!

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Get a GH5 if rolling shutter is a concern.

Or shoot in full frame 4K mode on the A7R II which does pixel binning rather than a full sensor readout in that mode, so less rolling shutter.

X70 has a completely different aesthetic to the A7S II... Does that not matter to you?!

Thanks for reply! To be honest form factor isnt a major concern as its only going to be used on the jib, not handheld at any point. The only concern I do have with the form factor is the weight. Do you have any lens recommendations for the A7Sii?

Alot of people have been talking about the GH5, should i buy this or wait for a A7siii?

5 hours ago, Justin Bacle said:

I don't think rolling shutter would be noticeable as there is not much movement usually in weddings video.

However I think you would be better with a video camera (like the new AE1, the JVS LS-300 or something similar with ND filters, Viewfinder and proper XLR Audio) than with a DSLR if money is not a huge problem. Just my own thoughts, depends on your priorities (Image Quality, Low light, Ease of use, Audio, ND filters, battery life and so on)

Yeah ive been looking at using a video camera too, however the weight poses a major issue. Do you have any experience with the Sony Z150?

1 hour ago, Jeevan Singh Kitare said:

Alot of people have been talking about the GH5, should i buy this or wait for a A7siii?

What lenses do you already have? Are you okay sticking with the m43rds ecosystem when Panasonic themselves aren't adding the mount to their high end video cameras? Are you okay with frequent battery switches? Do you need to record external audio directly to camera?

1 hour ago, Jeevan Singh Kitare said:

If you wait for the a7S mk3 then the Panasonic G90 or even GH6 will not be far away....  so of course you should wait for Panasonic's better implementation!

But by then the a7S mk4 won't be far away.....  

Where does this endless circle of madness end??? :-o

I reckon you should just buy a Panasonic G80 (which is a very fine camera!! Better than just a GH4), then shoot the hell out of it for a couple of years, then come back here and you'll have a much better idea of what you want to get  next :-)

10 hours ago, Geoff CB said:

What lenses do you already have? Are you okay sticking with the m43rds ecosystem when Panasonic themselves aren't adding the mount to their high end video cameras? Are you okay with frequent battery switches? Do you need to record external audio directly to camera?

Im currently using PMW 200's however im looking at changing those in the new year (maybe to FS5's) so i think another Sony E mount camera would make sense? In terms of battery, im planning to use a dummy battery and a plate to connect one of my existing batteries. Audio is usually recorded externally anyway so in camera audio isn't a concern :). The only thing pushing me away from the A7sii atm is the concerns with overheating, rolling shutter and the fact that it will only record 4K at 24p (where id prefer to shoot at 50).

I think i need to have a long think about what to get ?

10 hours ago, IronFilm said:

If you wait for the a7S mk3 then the Panasonic G90 or even GH6 will not be far away....  so of course you should wait for Panasonic's better implementation!

But by then the a7S mk4 won't be far away.....  

Where does this endless circle of madness end??? :-o

I reckon you should just buy a Panasonic G80 (which is a very fine camera!! Better than just a GH4), then shoot the hell out of it for a couple of years, then come back here and you'll have a much better idea of what you want to get  next :-)

Haha i know, realistically I need something to use by next month so I think ill have to settle for a gh5/a7sii and then upgrade next year some time. I think ill go and test out each one to see which I prefer. Thanks for your help everyone

On 23/06/2017 at 2:43 AM, Jeevan Singh Kitare said:

Thanks for reply! To be honest form factor isnt a major concern as its only going to be used on the jib, not handheld at any point. The only concern I do have with the form factor is the weight. Do you have any lens recommendations for the A7Sii?

Yeah ive been looking at using a video camera too, however the weight poses a major issue. Do you have any experience with the Sony Z150?

I don't have experience with the Z150 but I am using a Panasonic AF100 for events (which is of similar size & weight once you add a lens). I never felt it was too heavy and the fact that you get everything at a push of a button is priceless (XLR mics with phantom power, ND filters, Image stabilisation, Iso switch, WB switches, Peaking, Waveform/Vectorscope, everything has a button for it). The only time I go inside the menus is to set the recording format, format the card and set your picture profile at the beginning of the day ! Just put a lens on it, a SD card and two batteries and you're good for a full day of shoot :D

If I have to shoot a full-day event with a Dslr, I have to pack multiple batteries, a shoulder rig, a viewfinder (with batteries), multiple SD cards, an audio recorder (with batteries for it too) and have to deal with a recording time limit. No thanks !

• Administrators

Seems like overkill for buying it just for a jib.

The G70 is really light with the 15mm F1.7... And you'd save a lot of money. Image quality will be far better than the Sony camcorder.

The A7S II and 35mm F2.8 will be double the weight over G70.

And the camcorders I have no experience of so cannot recommend them.

On 23/06/2017 at 2:06 PM, Jeevan Singh Kitare said:

Im currently using PMW 200's however im looking at changing those in the new year (maybe to FS5's) so i think another Sony E mount camera would make sense? In terms of battery, im planning to use a dummy battery and a plate to connect one of my existing batteries. Audio is usually recorded externally anyway so in camera audio isn't a concern :). The only thing pushing me away from the A7sii atm is the concerns with overheating, rolling shutter and the fact that it will only record 4K at 24p (where id prefer to shoot at 50).

GH5 is 4K/50p.

Body is similar weight to A7S II so not nearly as light or as cheap as the 4K shooting G70.

But the lenses are much lighter especially the 15mm.