A new Panasonic prodding device

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
2 hours ago, Grimor said:

Knobs!!!!

Yes

21 minutes ago, robbino said:

Novation midi controller to alter settings

And yes again.

Its for live interactive control of the profile, sharpness, noise reduction, saturation, hue and ISO to create new custom profiles.

Amazingly enough, it actually work as well!

Even more surprising is that it allows this while you are recording.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Yes

And yes again.

Its for live interactive control of the profile, sharpness, noise reduction, saturation, hue and ISO to create new custom profiles.

Amazingly enough, it actually work as well!

Even more surprising is that it allows this while you are recording.

So you can change several parameters simultaneously and view the results live... In camera, you'd have to stop recording, dive into the menu, and you are only able to change one at a time. Could it also adjust curves? 

• Super Members
6 hours ago, jonpais said:

So you can change several parameters simultaneously and view the results live... In camera, you'd have to stop recording, dive into the menu, and you are only able to change one at a time. Could it also adjust curves? 

Yes, all simultaneously. 

I'll sort a video of it in operation later on.

Curves are still under development....

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, robbino said:

Do you mind me asking what you using to interface the controller to the camera BTM_Pix?  I have a midi controller which I was going to get rid off, but this looks like fun.

I'm currently running everything on a Pi so thats what runs my software that actually communicates by wifi to the camera.

By doing it this way I'm then able to utilise different off the shelf hardware to be the user interface.

In this instance the midi controller is plugged into the USB port of the Pi and I then catch and scale its messages as the input to my software.

It also means I can use different hardware for different purposes, so the gamepad controller for camera control etc.and then map different ones quickly to use those instead.

Such as the really neat bluetooth controller that I'll show you next week that will probably become the definitive one for camera control.

But also means that if someone wanted a different way of controlling it - such as this bluetooth keypad for example - where they can put functions on different keys because they preferred it to using a gamepad then its easy to incorporate.

61vGTNnTfSL._SL1000_.jpg

17 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm currently running everything on a Pi so thats what runs my software that actually communicates by wifi to the camera.

By doing it this way I'm then able to utilise different off the shelf hardware to be the user interface.

In this instance the midi controller is plugged into the USB port of the Pi and I then catch and scale its messages as the input to my software.

Thanks for your reply.  I also have a Pi so looking forward to when you give the information on this, great work :)

• Super Members

A quick video demo of the new prodder in action.

All controls are real time with feedback of the parameters on the LCD screen.

The video shows a recording of the G7 being controlled (and of it being controlled as the changes are live when its recording) but will obviously work with the other Lumix cameras.

Parameters controlled are :

Profile type (Standard, cinelike D etc)

Contrast

Noise Reduction

Sharpness

Saturation Hue

and ISO so you can see any effect changes that may or may not occur with your current settings at different ISOs

Now there may be no bugs in the software but there certainly was in the video. A real life bug crawling across the Colour Checker!

• Super Members

And just to stress that the purpose of this particular prodder is to help develop colour profiles rather than being an end thing in itself, in case you thought I was advocating twiddling around like Kraftwerk while you're recording video.

Though having said that, I think that there is a place for a similar type of control surface (one with faders as well as pots and a few switches) to operate the cameras in terms of the rest of its functionality like shutter, iris and focus. In that way, the colour profile function could just be switched into a second layer and be permanently available.

Should also mention that you will be able to save a lot more than the one custom profile that Panasonic offers you with this system so once you have all of these parameters as you like them then you can save the whole snapshot for instant recall via buttons on the controller.

If this gets any traction you'll also be able to easily share them with each other too to load on to your own cameras.

• 6 months later...

Maybe he Did go to this unveiling and he is touring the world with it making a Spectacular video of the product for them. It was around that time frame he went, well, missing.

"I've just had a breathless email inviting me (and approximately 2 million others I suspect) to the launch of a tripod that will do no less than 'revolutionise the way you work'.

And apparently, if I'm thinking its "just a tripod" then I'm being urged to "think again".

Does anyone know or like to speculate what it is thats making everyone this giddy? "

http://www.tripod-revolution.com

Well, it’s not always just the tripod you’re dealing with, for one thing. When I’ve got a hefty tripod head and a slider on there, it can get a little unwieldy trying to raise or lower the legs by your lonesome, and I usually have an assistant do it for me. Latches at the top would be much simpler.