Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera c-mount lens compatibility list

Julian

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Anybody considered this lens? Some are M42 mount so ideal.

Meteor 5-1. f1.9 /17-69mm

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zoom-Meteor-5-1-1-9-17-69mm-Krasnogorsk-3-s-n-771942-/150759480280

_K5AP28114a.jpg

Camera
PENTAX K-5
Focal Length
70mm
Aperture
f/11
Exposure
1/125s
ISO

Camera
PENTAX K-5
Focal Length
70mm
Aperture
f/11
Exposure
1/125s
ISO

Camera
PENTAX K-5
Focal Length
70mm
Aperture
f/11
Exposure
1/125s_K5AP28118a.jpg
ISO

Here's more information on the Meteor 5-1 17-69mm f1.9 zoom, for anyone who's curious:

• It's optically a pretty decent lens, especially when stopped down.
  • Its rear element protrudes deep into the camera body. This is not a problem for MFT per se, since M42 has a greater flange distance, and M42-to-MFT adapters have exactly the length of the protruding element. (I.e. the element doesn't protrude from the adapter anymore.) However, you need an M42 adapter that is a "clear tube", i.e. has no obstructing rings or other mechanical elements inside. The first adapter I had didn't qualify, a second one I bought (no name product, with the lettering "42X1M-m4/3" on its top) did.
  • I took test pictures at 17, 20, 25, 32, 42, 50, 60 and 69mm (the focal lengths marked on the lens' zoom lever) and at f5.6, with a Panasonic GX1, cropped the center to 3301x1857 pixels to obtain BMPC sensor-equivalent images, and converted them to 1920x1080 pixel jpegs:
  1. 17mm
  2. 20mm
  3. 25mm
  4. 32mm
  5. 42mm
  6. 50mm
  7. 60mm
  8. 69mm

The 7D has a loooong way to go before it's actually useable as a reliable, or even viable raw production camera.

I can't advise you what to do, but I do have a 7D, a BMCC EF that I love, and my Pocket camera arrives Monday. 

You can draw your own conclusions... :)

Here's more information on the Meteor 5-1 17-69mm f1.9 zoom, for anyone who's curious:

• It's optically a pretty decent lens, especially when stopped down.
  • Its rear element protrudes deep into the camera body. This is not a problem for MFT per se, since M42 has a greater flange distance, and M42-to-MFT adapters have exactly the length of the protruding element. (I.e. the element doesn't protrude from the adapter anymore.) However, you need an M42 adapter that is a "clear tube", i.e. has no obstructing rings or other mechanical elements inside. The first adapter I had didn't qualify, a second one I bought (no name product, with the lettering "42X1M-m4/3" on its top) did.
  • I took test pictures at 17, 20, 25, 32, 42, 50, 60 and 69mm (the focal lengths marked on the lens' zoom lever) and at f5.6, with a Panasonic GX1, cropped the center to 3301x1857 pixels to obtain BMPC sensor-equivalent images, and converted them to 1920x1080 pixel jpegs:
  1. 17mm
  2. 20mm
  3. 25mm
  4. 32mm
  5. 42mm
  6. 50mm
  7. 60mm
  8. 69mm

Looking good. Thanks for sharing. Can you post a pic of the adapter you use? thanks :)

Hi , first post from me!

I have 2 wide angle lenses that I am currently testing on the BMPCC

ikonoskop  F1,7 9mm (the standard A-cam lens)  , I think its an Angenieux , but I am not sure

Kinoptik Tegea F1,8  5,7,mm  

I have bought this adapter

http://www.ebay.de/itm/C-Mount-Lens-to-Micro-4-3-M4-3-MFT-System-Adapter-/271167449658?ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:DE:3160

but the focus is way off, and  I am not sure if its the adapter or the lens

I can focus it if I unscrew the ring to hold the thread of the lens

if I get the lens closer to the chip they seem sharp and dont vingette!! : )

can somebody help me with a good adapter that works with theses lenses , or do I have to modiy the lenses or adapter somehow

thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Just a personal conclusion: I've had the Blackmagic Pocket for two weeks and tested a large number of c-mount lenses from my collection on it, both classical 16mm cine lenses and cctv lenses. 

In all cases, I have found the c-mounts to be significantly inferior to native MFT lenses (such as the SLR Magic 12mm, the Voigtländer 25mm, but also the Panasonic 14mm and 20mm primes), even when testing top tier lenses such as the Schneider 25mm/1.4 or the Canon 13mm/1.5. Sharpness/detail is significantly lower, the image gets unsharp in the corners. The only advantage I see in those lenses is their compact size. In some cases, they can be used as speciality lenses (the Ernitec 6.5mm/1.8 as a fix focus fisheye, or a VT 8mm as a psychedelic wide angle with heavy vignetting and color casts); the 16mm/2.0 Tevidon is a decent performer with constant sharpness across the frame, but surely not as a good as an Olympus 17mm/1.8 or Samyang/Rokinon 16mm/2.0.

Unlike on the GH2, vintage glass doesn't look good on the Blackmagic Pocket. Since the BM Pocket gives an uncooked, non-artificially sharpened image with true organic color depth, it looks best with a good lens. A bad lens just looks bad. 

Just a personal conclusion: I've had the Blackmagic Pocket for two weeks and tested a large number of c-mount lenses from my collection on it, both classical 16mm cine lenses and cctv lenses. 

In all cases, I have found the c-mounts to be significantly inferior to native MFT lenses (such as the SLR Magic 12mm, the Voigtländer 25mm, but also the Panasonic 14mm and 20mm primes), even when testing top tier lenses such as the Schneider 25mm/1.4 or the Canon 13mm/1.5. Sharpness/detail is significantly lower, the image gets unsharp in the corners. The only advantage I see in those lenses is their compact size. In some cases, they can be used as speciality lenses (the Ernitec 6.5mm/1.8 as a fix focus fisheye, or a VT 8mm as a psychedelic wide angle with heavy vignetting and color casts); the 16mm/2.0 Tevidon is a decent performer with constant sharpness across the frame, but surely not as a good as an Olympus 17mm/1.8 or Samyang/Rokinon 16mm/2.0.

Unlike on the GH2, vintage glass doesn't look good on the Blackmagic Pocket. Since the BM Pocket gives an uncooked, non-artificially sharpened image with true organic color depth, it looks best with a good lens. A bad lens just looks bad. 

But this is where grading comes into it. Adding sharpness, detail and contrast makes the difference.

But this is where grading comes into it. Adding sharpness, detail and contrast makes the difference.

Beg to disagree. You might, eventually, prefer organic sharpness and true detail from a decent lens to an artificially sharpened consumer camera-like video image.

I'd say that the Blackmagic Pocket camera is like a studio monitor speaker with clean linear frequency response - on which good recordings sound really good, but crappy recordings sound crappy (as opposed to consumer stereo sets that boost certain frequencies to make everything superficially sound good or at least fat).

But I had to learn this the hard way. Wouldn't have expected that I would be so disappointed by the results of the c-mount lenses and see such great differences to high quality MFT glass.