Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera c-mount lens compatibility list

Julian

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm a little confused, reading some forum I found that the c-mount have trouble focusing on m 4/3. what scares me the time to invest in for example a Carl Zeiss Tevidon 10, someone can confirm or deny these problems? ... my doubts grew to find this article. I have not I really wanted to make DIY lenses for not getting accurate focus.

http://www.ebay.es/itm/Carl-Zeiss-Jena-Tevidon-16mm-1-8-c-mount-modified-for-M4-3-Olympus-Panasonic-/190832560740?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_101&hash=item2c6e81ca64

I'm a little confused, reading some forum I found that the c-mount have trouble focusing on m 4/3. what scares me the time to invest in for example a Carl Zeiss Tevidon 10, someone can confirm or deny these problems? .

Tevidons don't fully screw into Micro Four Thirds Adapters unless modified, and thus don't reach infinite focus. That's the case with a lot of c-mount lenses (for example, most unmodified Fujinons).

General advice for people reading this thread: Don't buy a c-mount lens unless you are 100% sure that it [a] fits the adapter and  covers 1". Odds that you will be lucky are very, very low. 

Angenieux 10mm f/1.8 Retrofocus

Julian already classified this as a Yes (with dark corners) and has a link to my image of it at f/1.8, but I would like to add a few words.

You can find a lot of these lenses on eBay these days, starting around $200. Is it worth consideration at all?

This is, as you know, a fixed focus lens which was a very popular lens for handheld camerawork on 8 and 16mm. You just set the aperture and ran with it.

The downside: it only works when you have enough light. Although this is a very fast lens with f/1.8, wide open practically EVERYTHING is out of focus, infinity starts getting sharp around f/4, and the foreground around f/8.

So here are some images at different apertures, just so that you get an idea what this lens is like:

(There will be slight dark corners up to f/4, but as you probably won’t be using it until f/8, you shouldn’t have any problems.)

f/1.8: Everything is out of focus.

The plant in the front is about 1m (3 feet) from the camera. f/2.8 is pretty much the same.

f/4: The background is reasonably sharp, but the foreground is still soft.

f/8: Now, this starts to look usable! The foreground is reasonably sharp now.

f/11: Not bad at all, please look at the full size image to form your own opinion. f/16 is pretty much the same as this. Is it sharp enough for you?

@Richard: is that the same lens as this one? http://verybiglobo.blogspot.nl/2012/03/nex-7-carl-zeiss-jena-ddr-10mm-f2.html
hat guy seems to put it on a C-mount to NEX adapter without modification. But maybe the M43 adapter is different?

Sorry for the delay in replying.
Yes it is the same lens. It feels nice an solidly built. A handsome little little fellow dare I say.
However I think that most C-Mount to NEX adapters can accept lens diameters up to 44mm.
Some stepped C-Mount to MFT adapters can can except diameters that exceed 37mm but at that point the lens is held further away from the sensor and (in some lenses at least) the focus to infinity problem occurs. It's a shame because I was hoping that I could also use this lens with my V1 but that has a similar restriction due to to mount diameter. My initial thoughts are to fabricate a new back plate for the lens from an adapter plate. That would actually increase the available diameter as the support around the recess would then not be needed. All this is theory right now but I will keep you posted. It will be a while though as I'm very busy right now.

Bottom line: c-mount lenses <25mm that aren't explicitly specified for 1" might somehow cover the 1"/s16 sensor, but typically with strong blurs at the left and right corners of the image. In that light, the information in this thread has to be taken with a grain of salt.

Thanks for your tests! I do agree that the fact if it 'works' doesn't really mean much yet. Once the BMPCC's are being delivered it would be nice to extend this topic with actual samples and more information about the quality of the optics.

Sorry for the delay in replying.
Yes it is the same lens. It feels nice an solidly built. A handsome little little fellow dare I say.
However I think that most C-Mount to NEX adapters can accept lens diameters up to 44mm.
Some stepped C-Mount to MFT adapters can can except diameters that exceed 37mm but at that point the lens is held further away from the sensor and (in some lenses at least) the focus to infinity problem occurs. It's a shame because I was hoping that I could also use this lens with my V1 but that has a similar restriction due to to mount diameter. My initial thoughts are to fabricate a new back plate for the lens from an adapter plate. That would actually increase the available diameter as the support around the recess would then not be needed. All this is theory right now but I will keep you posted. It will be a while though as I'm very busy right now.

I have found this bajonett-replacement for Tevidon prime lenses on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Tevidon-C-Mount-Adapter-Mount-/251263450304?_trksid=p2047675.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D333005%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D177%26meid%3D7420819031957811323%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D370791912272%26

Has anyone tried this yet?

That looks interesting Kenny!

Does anyone know if the front filter thread of a Tevidon 25mm f/1.4 rotates during focus? If not, it might be an interesting lens to use with anamorphic lenses on the BMPCC.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Zeiss-Tevidon-C-Mount-Adapter-Mount-/251263450304?_trksid=p2047675.m1982&_trkparms=aid%3D333005%26algo%3DRIC.FIT%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D177%26meid%3D7420819031957811323%26pid%3D100009%26prg%3D1088%26rk%3D1%26sd%3D370791912272%26

I ordered it last week for my 10mm Tevidon and will post an update here as soon as it has arrived.

Hi All, really useful thread.

Just waiting on some C mount adapters to arrive and I will add my lenses results to the list.

One thing I don't think has been fully addressed is the quality and accuracy of the adapters.
In order to achieve correct flange depth they have to be accurate to at least 1/100th of a millimeter ( possibly even 1/1000th )
I've also noticed on my C to Nikon 1 adapter is off centre. Vignetting is always greater in the top corners rather than the bottom, suggesting the C mount hole is above centre. (Could also be that the sensor is mis aligned, but i'm more inclined to trust Nikon than the adapter)

Given that most adapters are really cheap it may be worth us sharing info on the adapters we are using.
It won't have much effect on sensor coverage but will have a big effect on ability to focus, barrel distance marks and overall focus issues.

I have a couple cheapies on order from Ebay but they may well come from the same workshop in China so may be identical. We'll see...
I also have the much more expensive Metabones adapter on it's way which seems to have a very wide base for the lens. Again we'll see...

My initial thoughts are to fabricate a new back plate for the lens from an adapter plate. That would actually increase the available diameter as the support around the recess would then not be needed.

Julian, wouldn't you be better off modifying an adapter rather than your lens?
Cheaper to replace an adapter than a lens?

The c-mount adapters are pretty small. There's not much excess metal you can remove to make a lens with a bigger 'bottom' fit, probably it's not always possible to modify an adapter enough to make it work.

I only have cheap china C-mount adapters. With 25mm lenses it works fine, it doesn't really mater if it is not 100% perfect I suppose. If the coverage of the lens is big enough, it doesn't matter if it is a bit off center. It might be crucial for lenses that almost work.

All my tests have been done with those cheap adapters. I don't think a perfect adapter would make much difference. But it would be good to see some comparisons!

I guess what I'm getting at is that for wide angle lens' adapter manufacturing quality does start to matter.

With a small sensor wide lens' are very intolerant of back focus errors.
The B&H Angenieux 10mm f1.8 is a fantastic lens. They cost a fortune when they were new.
The lack of focus wide open in the test shot back in post #88 could well be down to incorrect flange depth.
I put more faith in Pierre Angenieux than I do in a $10 C mount adapter!

I don't have a C to M43 to test this but I do have a cheapo ebay C to Nikon 1 adapter for my J1.
I'll put my Ang 10mm on my J1 and check it against a focus chart and see.

Test with a just-bought Canon TV16 13mm/1.5: A good lens, but very blurry left and right sides at f1.5 to f2.8, usable at f4 and clean at f5.6-f16 (at f22, diffraction makes the lens blurry as a whole).

Unfortunately, I can't show the test images here because my upload quota is exhausted.

I ordered it last week for my 10mm Tevidon and will post an update here as soon as it has arrived.

My lens came with this mount already attached. It is this adapter that increases the diameter.