Whoa, I thought Axiom Beta was dead

Liam

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for the link!  This progress update is exciting.

The footage from the Axiom has been looking nice for the last couple of years, and, judging from the interview, it sounds like there will be plenty of choice in regards to looks/"film stocks."  Actually, they are giving plenty of choice in regards to everything!

Can't wait till they start shipping production models!

To be honest, I am not impressed at all by the footage, I would love to see some skintones, not cats, and with so many affordable good options today (GH5, C200, etc), the path for the Axiom is going to be really tough, but I love the idea they will try to implement SD cards as the recording option, I hope they succeed, I don't see myself taking this route in the future, but a new modular option in the market is always welcomed…..

2 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

To be honest, I am not impressed at all by the footage, I would love to see some skintones, not cats,

I thought the footage looked nice.  However, I am fairly sure they have footage showing "skintones."

On the other hand, this camera is still in the beta stage, so nothing is final, and, judging from the interview, there will be a few choices of low-level color styles and film stock emulation.

2 hours ago, hijodeibn said:

and with so many affordable good options today (GH5, C200, etc), the path for the Axiom is going to be really tough,

Apertus is an open source organization.  They probably are not trying to sell high volume to typical GH/EF shooters.  It is likely that they are more interested in versatility and  quality (and, of course freedom from proprietary constraints).

By the way, these guys started around 2006, so they are tenacious.  As I recall, their first raw camera(s) was one of the open source Elphel brand around 2008.  They were early pioneers of a few things that we now take for granted, including interchangeable lens mounts and touch screen control/remotes.  The have already released the developer version of the Axiom, and I have no doubt that they will release the production model (sounds like it could be next year!). 

They likely will get more out of the CMOSIS CMV12000 sensor than Blackmagic and Aja did.

18 hours ago, tupp said:

Apertus is an open source organization. 

It could be interesting as a test bed for all the crazy ideas kicked around this forum.  I would be interested to see if they ever do phone apps.  It would be nice to capture clips on the camera and send them to a contact right from the field by wirelessly sending it through your phone.  I'm not talking long clips.  Something like 10 second clips but high quality.  Cell phone clips are just so bad in even mildly difficult lighting conditions.

They ether have to pull something magic out of their sleeves that makes the image more desirable then the alternatives, or make the experience easier/better when using it or in post.

Else there is not much need for it. It's a neat idea, just like the modular phone was, but when it comes down to it you ether use it because it's better or because you reeeeeeely want to.

Maybe a wonderful monochrome sensor, not sure there are any affordable cameras with that.

If they got the pull from science community for capturing high quality footage of stuff, that would speed it up and drops some funds in.

8 hours ago, no_connection said:

They ether have to pull something magic out of their sleeves that makes the image more desirable then the alternatives, or make the experience easier/better when using it or in post.

They don't have to do any of that.  They're an open source organization.  It doesn't seem like they are trying to appeal to the typical Canon/EF/AF/IS type of shooter.

They are developing a cinematography camera (and an exceptionally versatile one at that), so they probably aren't too concerned about making the "skin tones" perfect right out of the camera (nor about 5-axis IBIS, DPAF, etc.).  They seem more dedicated to boosting image quality attributes that appeal to cinematographers.  As the project is open source, this camera offers the most options for configuration and for imaging.

On the other hand, the footage that has appeared over the last couple of years looks nice, and they seem to be doing a better job than BlackMagic and AJA with the same sensor.

8 hours ago, no_connection said:

Else there is not much need for it. It's a neat idea, just like the modular phone was, but when it comes down to it you ether use it because it's better or because you reeeeeeely want to.

Some want a quality cinematography camera that is versatile/modifiable and completely controllable, allowing the creation of images slightly more distinctive than those from most others.  The Axiom appeals to shooters of that type.