Still Swimming with the big boys... Rated #9th 2017

Juxx989

Years later and still in top ten? (#9) and rated better than a $7k+ Leica? (this is a money is no object rating any price criteria)

Im sure it would be higher in sub $1500 rankings and this is mid 2017 after all the big boys have blown their load of new cams.   Fake News??

http://cameradecision.com/lists2/Top-Rated-cameras

5938cffa24e7f_FakeNewsNX.thumb.jpg.d6afa8dbead0523d7c77f1dea8469f6a.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

For me, I click on the "low light" tab and all is right in the world with my "precious" (A7s) still number 1 for that and still a respectable #29 overall.

Interesting that #1 low light is still the first version A7s while the A7sii is rated higher overall but not for low light.

5 hours ago, ESGI Media said:

They say it doesn't have IS when it does with certain lenses, and with all (including third party) lenses with DIS and then a combo of OIS and DIS with certain Samsung lenses. Still, this is cracking me up hahaha.

I am more of the "old school" type, so shooting everything in manual, but I did a performance a few days ago, and when I was in the other side of the venue for some handheld shots, I decided I wanted to do a wide shot, but my monopod/tripod were a few minutes away, so I tried a few shots with DIS+16-50S IS and I had 100% success.

It is the second time this year that I am using it with very good results. Of course it is not a very reliable way for continuous shooting, but for smaller things it can be valuable, I guess, that was the 4th or 5th time I ever used it!

Also NX AF seems more reliable in video than a6300, this is from gimbal experience this year also (I wasn't using AF before at all).

Not to ruin the party but calling it "this is a money is no object rating any price criteria" seems odd when the only thing keeping it up in the top 10s are the "Value for money" critera - on the other hand, did Nx1 prices go way up? I only had to pay 940$ for mine brand new (in Norway) - My only complaint is the lack of proper audio support and recording limit, after using C300s and Fs5's at work that would really be useful in most of my freelance gigs, but I'm struggling to find an upgrade from it in terms of the gratification of using it and the image quality, atleast without going 10x on the price...

20 minutes ago, derderimmermuedeist said:

The "value of the money" is on top ;-)

And there is no more recording limit.

Did Samsung themselves remove recording limit? I've already had to send my camera in for repair once, so I don't wanna void the warranty by using one of the hacks...

10 hours ago, sondreg said:

Did Samsung themselves remove recording limit? I've already had to send my camera in for repair once, so I don't wanna void the warranty by using one of the hacks...

Why did you send the camera in repair?
Did a hack destroy it?

I use the Vasile hack since it has been published ... and had only once little problems.

I deinstalled it and installed it new ... no problems until today.

1 hour ago, derderimmermuedeist said:

Why did you send the camera in repair?
Did a hack destroy it?

I use the Vasile hack since it has been published ... and had only once little problems.

I deinstalled it and installed it new ... no problems until today.

The internal mic stopped recording any sound all of a sudden, even if the hack has little to no problems I'd feel a little uneasy doing 3hr gigs and not knowing if the footage survives or not...

9 minutes ago, sondreg said:

The internal mic stopped recording any sound all of a sudden, even if the hack has little to no problems I'd feel a little uneasy doing 3hr gigs and not knowing if the footage survives or not...

Yes, this (you seem a professional) is understandable and explains the 10 times as expensive equipment (Canon C300).

Canon C300!

13.999 € !!

In words: 

thirteen thousand nine hundred ninety-nine Euro !!

What a sum!

• 1 month later...
On 6/7/2017 at 10:02 PM, noone said:

For me, I click on the "low light" tab and all is right in the world with my "precious" (A7s) still number 1 for that and still a respectable #29 overall.

Interesting that #1 low light is still the first version A7s while the A7sii is rated higher overall but not for low light.

No personal offense to you friend, but low light cinematography is largely a gimmick in my mind. If one learns to properly light a scene there's no need for insane ISO values. With lighting moving into the realm of LED and portable there's just no excuse anymore. Who would have thought that light gathering sensors respond to...light.

On 6/14/2017 at 6:41 PM, SMGJohn said:

Its silly how expensive cameras have gotten and not much better than the NX1 have they gotten either, sad.

Without companies like Samsung who have extensive research and development labs and endless funds to experiment, don't expect huge technological leaps in the product cycles of current top manufactures. In my opinion, Samsung not only did themselves a disservice by "closing" their digital camera business, they did a disservice to their existing and potential customers and the entire industry as a whole. Look how much Samsung has influenced Apple over recent years?

1 hour ago, Matthew Hartman said:

No personal offense to you friend, but low light cinematography is largely a gimmick in my mind. If one learns to properly light a scene there's no need for insane ISO values. With lighting moving into the realm of LED and portable there's just no excuse anymore. Who would have thought that light gathering sensors respond to...light.

None taken.

So what do YOU do if you want to shoot a gig in the back of a pub beer garden with paying customers around?      Tell them to put up with the bright lights so it can be "properly lit"?

I use pretty much the same ISOs for video as I do for stills and at many gigs that can range from ISO 100 to ISO 102400.

Besides, I prefer the lighting I get at gigs generally even if sometimes it isn't the best or aimed at the right place.

It isn't so much low light as available light but often in circumstances that I would have to put many other cameras away.      It also just means I can use slower lenses or stop down when I choose.

Too each their own.

7 hours ago, noone said:

None taken.

So what do YOU do if you want to shoot a gig in the back of a pub beer garden with paying customers around? Tell them to put up with the bright lights so it can be "properly lit"?

Absolutely. It's my vision, I'm in control of how well (or not) I craft my image/scene. This is my rate, and my techincal requirements. This philosophy is hardly anything new. 

I don't typically place myself in artistically-circumstantial situations out of my control, largely speaking. There's always the tendency for small fails here and there, but those are usually logistical unknowns.  

Again, I'm the artist. If I have no control in what I place in my viewfinder, who does?

If I have a shoot scheduled outdoors and it suddenly rains and clouds block all my golden hour light, I wait, or adapt the setting to the narrative. I don't shrug my shoulders and capture subpar images because I feel like I should be shooting something or because my camera has near militaristic capabilities. 

Now, I'm not ignorant to the fact that not all shooters are cinematographers shooting narratives in a mostly controlled and planned environment. Some have to document the moment as it is because it doesn't typically repeat itself or reoccur often.

Sports, weddings, nature, I get it. But these subject matters have been captured long before digital ISO was a seed in anyone's mind. Ask yourself how this was done in those times. And I bet you will conclude it was done with really good logistical scouting, planning and set up. 

What high ISO has done is it allowed the removal of darkness as counterpoint to lightness as a narrative. It's traded a technological advatange in for an artistic disadvantage. Our we merely documentators?  

Is a good image about technically "seeing in the dark", or using darkness as a tool to envoke an emotional response and give light more meaning and context? You as the artist and curator of your vision must decide.

Each to their own indeed.

14 hours ago, Matthew Hartman said:

Without companies like Samsung who have extensive research and development labs and endless funds to experiment, don't expect huge technological leaps in the product cycles of current top manufactures. In my opinion, Samsung not only did themselves a disservice by "closing" their digital camera business, they did a disservice to their existing and potential customers and the entire industry as a whole. Look how much Samsung has influenced Apple over recent years?

Samsung also gave rise to a fanbase for their cameras that so many other manufacturers struggles to do, we even had people hacking the damn thing making it even better, do you see people hacking Nikons to get better video? Nope. 
Do you see people hacking Fuji? Or Olympus? Barely anyone worth mentioning. 

I only know of Canon and Panasonic who had a userbase with such dedicated fans they hacked the cameras to make them better.

However, I cannot find an official statement by Samsung that they closed their camera division. No one from Samsung ever came out and told they were officially abandoning cameras, I do not get why people keep saying this, its only tabloid news sites whom keeps spreading the same old over and over again, I keep seeing stupid rumours from newspages even today saying Samsung may be closing the camera division for good. 

They certainly did not loose profits, I see people with Samsung cameras all the time here, and I live in Norway. I see people with NX1000's, NX300's. There lots of them on sale all the time in the used market. Clearly they did well in Europe, even on vacation I spotted a few with Samsung cameras, why is this? Because Samsung is a brand, you see Samsung you think of quality, even the exploding Note blunder is largely forgotten these days by consumers.