HEVC (h.265) support finally coming to macOS and FCPX

Antonis

34 minutes ago, horshack said:

Intel has had H.264 acceleration for quite a while (since Haswell). H.265 acceleration was only introduced in the current generation Kaby lake processors.

Your point still stands, but Skylake does have H.265 acceleration, but only full acceleration for 8-bit decoding. In other words you will need Kaby lake for efficient 10-bit decoding and any encoding. It seems like this is one of the main improvements of Kaby lake as the increase in raw processing power is quite small.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 hours ago, horshack said:

Intel has had H.264 acceleration for quite a while (since Haswell). H.265 acceleration was only introduced in the current generation Kaby lake processors.

H.264 support is much older than Haswell in Intel processors, at least since Sandy bridge, perhaps earlier (my gen 1 system has an X processor, which does not have an onboard GPU, so I don't know what the regular processors had at that point). Perhaps not full official implementation but the processors were definitely capable of hardware acceleration of encoding/decoding H.264 content.

H.265 acceleration has been possible in hardware since the 4th generation processors I believe. I know it is not present in Ivy Bridge, but is in the generation after. 

http://techreport.com/news/27677/new-intel-igp-drivers-add-h-265-vp9-hardware-decode-support

22 hours ago, UncleBobsPhotography said:

Your point still stands, but Skylake does have H.265 acceleration, but only full acceleration for 8-bit decoding. In other words you will need Kaby lake for efficient 10-bit decoding and any encoding. It seems like this is one of the main improvements of Kaby lake as the increase in raw processing power is quite small.

After reading a bit more about H.265, it seems like I had mixed up Skylake and Broadwell. Skylake should have pretty good support for H.265 while it's quite limited for Broadwell: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intel_HD_and_Iris_Graphics#Kaby_Lake . The videoclip is probably using the "Main 10" profile which Skylake doesn't support.

• 4 months later...

Hi guys! In case no one posted confirmation – my Mid 2014 Retina MacBook Pro 15" with Quad-core 2.5Ghz i7 (Iris Pro integrated GPU) and dedicated NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2GB GPU doesn't preview h.265 files (recorded with DJI Phantom 4 Pro) in Finder, and barely plays them with Quicktime (rewinding breaks playback ... sometimes even playback breaks playback :D ) my guess – no hardware acceleration, while software is struggling and that's why no support in FCPX yet (you can't enable it only in a few newer machines, right?)

On the other hand my girlfriends newer Mid 2017 base MacBook Pro 13" without Touch Bar previews them in finder without any hesitation like it's 8MP jpeg :D

On a side note – iPad Pro 10.5" is capable to playback and rewind UHD h.265 clips but for now you'll need an app for that (I use LumaFusion editing software for iOS) because Gallery doesn't always allow you to play same file ... weird, while DCI doesn't seem to be properly recognized by gallery at all

1 hour ago, Stanly said:

... my Mid 2014 Retina MacBook Pro... doesn't preview h.265 files ...

On the other hand my girlfriends newer Mid 2017 base MacBook Pro 13" without Touch Bar previews them in finder without any hesitation like it's 8MP jpeg :D

Quote from Mac Rumors:

All iOS devices and Macs on High Sierra will support HEVC playback, with encoding/decoding hardware acceleration available on newer iOS devices and the latest 2017 Macs for faster performance and less battery drain.

But I guess it'd still be stupid not to use ProRes (even on December's $5000 iMacPro) in case HEVC was your acquisition codec. It's more interesting to directly export to it from the NLE for distribution. And unless you don't edit on iMovie, you'd have to wait another week for the new FCP X version:

Though iMovie has been updated with HEVC support, Final Cut Pro X, Apple's professional video editing software, has yet to gain support. iMovie can be downloaded from the Mac App Store for free. [Direct Link]