Two Things I've Learned - Shooting 16mm Glass on the Blackmagic MIcro

Ed_David

4 minutes ago, AaronChicago said:

I DP'd for this tech companies Christmas video. It's pretty cheesy, but I really like how the images turned out.

Only had a minute at work to glance at this and I'm glad I did. It reminded me of how Milton Bradley commercials used to look in the 80s.... instant nostalgia... nice job. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

On 6/5/2017 at 7:00 AM, Ed_David said:

Shot with the Blackmagic MIcro Cinema Camera with the Angeniuex 12-120mm 16mm lens, a cameflex mount modified to micro 4/3rds.  For color, I brought into Da Vinci resolve and used Filmconvert with a Fuji Eterna film stock and softened it even more to Super16mm softness.  Added a tiny bit of grain and that gave me a great starting point to harken back to a more organic look.

I zoomed in digitally mostly around 20% - and it still was too sharp of an image.

Why not shoot it anamorphic instead?   Well, I am in love with documentaries of the 60s and 70s like Grey Gardens, etc. And they used this lens I think, and it has a certain feel to it that’s pretty beautiful. 

Let me know what you guys think of this.

This has so much nice texture to it. 

Curious why you decided to go with the Micro rather than a digital bolex? I know they're cheaper and you get 60p with the micro, but the Digital Bolex is pretty special.

Shot this 3 years ago. The movement you get on Super 16mm zoom lenses is one of my favorite things ever. 

Svitar 26mm 1.1 C Mount Lens and a Som Berthiot 17-85 f3.8 Compact Zoom Lens. I really recommend the 26. Razor sharp at 2.8 and on, but a really cool look if you shoot a 1.1 wide open. 

2 hours ago, BenEricson said:

This has so much nice texture to it. 

Curious why you decided to go with the Micro rather than a digital bolex? I know they're cheaper and you get 60p with the micro, but the Digital Bolex is pretty special.

Shot this 3 years ago. The movement you get on Super 16mm zoom lenses is one of my favorite things ever. 

Svitar 26mm 1.1 C Mount Lens and a Som Berthiot 17-85 f3.8 Compact Zoom Lens. I really recommend the 26. Razor sharp at 2.8 and on, but a really cool look if you shoot a 1.1 wide open. 

looks great

The micro has more dynamic range and can go to 800 ASA easily.  the digital bolex has at least one or two stops less in the highlights and really can't go past 400 ISO without looking super noisy. 

but it has nice colors.

also I don't own those cameras.  Already had a micro camera.

11 minutes ago, Ed_David said:

looks great

The micro has more dynamic range and can go to 800 ASA easily.  the digital bolex has at least one or two stops less in the highlights and really can't go past 400 ISO without looking super noisy. 

but it has nice colors.

also I don't own those cameras.  Already had a micro camera.

Thanks. Gotcha. Come to think of it, most of the nice Digital Bolex stuff I have seen avoid those scenarios... It was overcast but well lit, pretty much optimal for the limitations you're describing. 

For some reason I thought you were shooting a doc or narrative with this setup, just remembered that was the Ursa Mini. 

Nice achievement. I like the rhythm and pace and framing and directing. Storywise it is what it is, done with the intention of the client. Pretty lady in there too:)

14 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

I DP'd for this tech companies Christmas video. It's pretty cheesy, but I really like how the images turned out.

Here's another video shot with the EOS-M with MagicLantern in 960x720p raw using the sensor crop mode and an adapted Schneider Optivaron 6-66mm/f1.8 lens originally designed for Leicina Special Super 8 camera. (In crop mode, the effective sensor size is practically equivalent to 8mm film.) Everything shot handheld with a small Braun chestpod originally designed for Nizo Super 8 cameras.

25724-IMG-3989.JPG

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/21/2017 at 11:39 PM, Dan Wake said:

is it true that vintage lenses introduce more color aberrations on a digital body? (I've read somewere on some vintage lens forum).

I certainly see chromatic aberration on some of my old s16 - zeiss 12-120(10-110) and Angenieux 150-150 - but I'm not fussed by it. I shoot with them to get a particular 'classic' look, not to get a super clean and pristine image.