Two Things I've Learned - Shooting 16mm Glass on the Blackmagic MIcro

Ed_David

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Nice Ed and Ed! Liked both of those stories. I use a 12-120 and also the 15-150 by angenieux. I am pretty sure they are the exact same lens, the 15-150 just sits a bit farther away from the mount increasing it's coverage (it's also a 2.8 instead of a 2.2 like the 120 which makes sense) I love shooting with them! Never have to change a lens.. just focus on getting shots. My favorite doc lens. I shot this for RIT with the 15-150. Do you guys use the diopters as well? I had to use them for a couple close ups as the minimum focus was something I had to get used to. I really took modern focusing distances for granted.

On 6/5/2017 at 4:00 PM, Ed_David said:

Shot with the Blackmagic MIcro Cinema Camera with the Angeniuex 12-120mm 16mm lens, a cameflex mount modified to micro 4/3rds.  

Isn't the Angenieux only covering 16mm 4:3 and vignetting on the BM Micro Cinema's 1" sensor? Did you fully get around this limitation with the 120% enlargement in post, or did you only use a limited zoom range of the camera? (Since 16mm zooms usually vignette at wide angle settings, but cover larger sensors when zoomed in.)

On 6/6/2017 at 11:28 PM, freeman said:

Nice Ed and Ed! Liked both of those stories. I use a 12-120 and also the 15-150 by angenieux. I am pretty sure they are the exact same lens, the 15-150 just sits a bit farther away from the mount increasing it's coverage (it's also a 2.8 instead of a 2.2 like the 120 which makes sense) I love shooting with them! Never have to change a lens.. just focus on getting shots. My favorite doc lens. I shot this for RIT with the 15-150. Do you guys use the diopters as well? I had to use them for a couple close ups as the minimum focus was something I had to get used to. I really took modern focusing distances for granted.

that looks great- yup used a canon 550d 77mm diopter for macro stuff - close focus is 5' which kind of sucks - but you get that long zoom range and low t stop as a tradeoff!

On 6/7/2017 at 6:42 AM, cantsin said:

Isn't the Angenieux only covering 16mm 4:3 and vignetting on the BM Micro Cinema's 1" sensor? Did you fully get around this limitation with the 120% enlargement in post, or did you only use a limited zoom range of the camera? (Since 16mm zooms usually vignette at wide angle settings, but cover larger sensors when zoomed in.)

Yes only covers 4:3 so I do zoom in post about 20%. 

I softened the image so much even after that it doesn't matter to me.

It vignettes more at the wider end.

Overall the lens has less vingnetting at usable wider focal lengths than the 9.5-55mm angenieux zoom that's more popular.  But the tradeoff is the f stop and the close focus isn't as good.

On 6/6/2017 at 4:46 AM, Ed Andrews said:

This looks amazing. Really gets that super16 feel.

I've been shooting a series of docs with bmmcc and zeiss 12-120. Here's one. It comes out a bit sharper than the Angeniuex but still love the whole combo with old s16 glass

that looks gorgeous man - love the natural skintones on the micro and pocket cameras.  Really nice lens.

I am really looking forward to the next version of the micro - praying for internal 5-axis stabilization.  That's the only thing that's really missing from it for me that I would find more useful.  4k would probably lower the amount of usuable dynamic range

3 hours ago, AaronChicago said:

There is just something about that BM Super 16 sensor that is magical. I look back at stuff that I shot with the Pocket and think "Damn that was one of my favorite looking videos."

Would you mind to post it? I love beautifully shot BMPCC stuff.

Here's a video shot with the Canon EOS-M in Magic Lantern raw sensor crop mode and an adapted Fujinon 14-84mm/f1.6 c-mount zoom lens. Graded and edited in Resolve, with grain added via Filmconvert. The inspiration were Jonas Mekas' 1960s experimental diary films shot handheld with a Bolex H16 - so, no apologies for the shaky handcamera, jump cuts, out-of-sync sound etc:

6 hours ago, cantsin said:

Here's a video shot with the Canon EOS-M in Magic Lantern raw sensor crop mode and an adapted Fujinon 14-84mm/f1.6 c-mount zoom lens. Graded and edited in Resolve, with grain added via Filmconvert. The inspiration were Jonas Mekas' 1960s experimental diary films shot handheld with a Bolex H16 - so, no apologies for the shaky handcamera, jump cuts, out-of-sync sound etc:

Looks so cool! What did you use to get rid of the pink dots? I've tried pink dot remover, but it didn't work. The only thing I could get to work was chroma smoothing but it softened the image way too much. 

7 hours ago, mercer said:

Looks so cool! What did you use to get rid of the pink dots? I've tried pink dot remover, but it didn't work. The only thing I could get to work was chroma smoothing but it softened the image way too much. 

Used chroma smoothing via raw2cdng.