the cheapest good mic for DSLR and interviews

Dan Wake

For indoor dialog and interviews mounted on a boom (stand or pole) near the subject, the Audix SCX1 HC is hard to beat for the price ("80%" of the Schoeps CMC641 (I don't know about the 80%, we use both and it sounds very good). There are really inexpensive preamps/mods for DSLRs that sound decent for the price ((google for mod instructions before buying; you may only need a TRRS to TRS adapter: see the comments) iRig Pre https://www.amazon.com/IK-Multimedia-microphone-smartphones-tablets/dp/B007534LFK/, Saramonic https://www.amazon.com/Saramonic-SmartRig-Audio-Adapter-Smartphones/dp/B00WITIHZ6, two channels: https://www.amazon.com/Saramonic-2-Channel-Microphone-Camcorders-Smartphones/dp/B01LBS52YI etc.). While interference tube shotguns can sound great indoors (such as the 'Hollywood Standards' MKH416 or CMIT5U), as soon as you record in a 'magic reflection room' (you'll know it when you hear the (awful!!) recording!), you'll quickly realize why you need a non-interference tube directional mic for indoors (super- or hyper-cardioid). More info here: https://soundslikejoe.com/when-not-to-use-shotgun-mic/

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, HockeyFan12 said:

Yeah I wouldn't use a 416 indoors generally, that's true. The Audix is a good suggestion it's anything like a Schoeps. 

I used shotguns indoors for years before I learned the hard way. Did a shoot in a small reverberant room with the shotgun boomed close to the subject. I could hear it sounded echo-y but figured I could make it sound OK in post. Got the footage into the computer and it wasn't fixable- really bad phase issues. Fortunately the talent didn't like her hair and makeup so it was later reshot (and I picked up the Schoeps and Audix. Was going to keep just one, however they work great as a pair). I use both mics for every green screen episode of Cosmic Flow (Audix on the left channel, Schoeps on the right, straight into the C300 II (has decent preamps); typically no audio post needed).

A 416 or any shotgun can work fine indoors, not sure if say the CMC641 sounds better than the CMIT5U indoors (it probably does, though both sound great in my studio, which has carpet and lots of gear- not much reverberation), however it's good to have a non-shotgun in one's kit just in case of interference tube issues.

@fuzzynormal @jonpais I tried to save some money to our friend!

@jcs Audix seem ok, the problem here in Europe is that is 600euros, and is available only in a couple of places. I can't find it in their catalogue either. What is going on with this mic?!

Do you think it is still worth it for 700$?

Now I usually rent MKH50, or use my Oktava for lower budget stuff, do you think the Audix will be the middle ground, or should I go to the higher options straight away?

Completely irrelevant: I was considering the Ambeo, but I was wondering if I can use it as a stereo ambient mic. Is it possible to do more traditional recordings with this mic, and is it worth it?

39 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@fuzzynormal @jonpais I tried to save some money to our friend!

@jcs Audix seem ok, the problem here in Europe is that is 600euros, and is available only in a couple of places. I can't find it in their catalogue either. What is going on with this mic?!

Do you think it is still worth it for 700$?

Now I usually rent MKH50, or use my Oktava for lower budget stuff, do you think the Audix will be the middle ground, or should I go to the higher options straight away?

Completely irrelevant: I was considering the Ambeo, but I was wondering if I can use it as a stereo ambient mic. Is it possible to do more traditional recordings with this mic, and is it worth it?

The Schoeps is $1622 vs. the Audix for $500 (USD). If the Audix is really "80%" of the Schoeps, it should cost $1298, so it would be worth $700. You can compare the Schoeps to the Audix in all the Cosmic Flow episodes (see my sig). Can you hear a difference in the left/right channels?

You can make any kind of recording you want with the Ambeo. From 2-channel stereo, to binaural 3D/HRTF, to 5.1, 7.1, 11.2, to an infinite number of channels (since the sound is captured effectively in 3D, it can be processed to any number of desired channels and pickup pattern). If all you want is flexible stereo, Mid-Side is cool and more cost effective (we have an Audio Technica BP4029- some recordings played back over monitor speakers have gotten me to turn around thinking the sound was actually behind me).

Just to add my two cents regarding the Sennheiser MKE600, it really is a terrific mic for the price. I used it for some ENG type filming last year, interviewing people in amongst crowds of football fans, mounted on top of the camera, and it did incredibly well isolating the subject's voices. The sound is full and crispy, it was the best money I spent on the whole film.

11 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Just to add my two cents regarding the Sennheiser MKE600, it really is a terrific mic for the price. I used it for some ENG type filming last year, interviewing people in amongst crowds of football fans, mounted on top of the camera, and it did incredibly well isolating the subject's voices. The sound is full and crispy, it was the best money I spent on the whole film.

Thanks! Feel like I got a good deal at $199. 

7 hours ago, jcs said:

The Schoeps is $1622 vs. the Audix for $500 (USD). If the Audix is really "80%" of the Schoeps, it should cost $1298, so it would be worth $700. You can compare the Schoeps to the Audix in all the Cosmic Flow episodes (see my sig). Can you hear a difference in the left/right channels?

You can make any kind of recording you want with the Ambeo. From 2-channel stereo, to binaural 3D/HRTF, to 5.1, 7.1, 11.2, to an infinite number of channels (since the sound is captured effectively in 3D, it can be processed to any number of desired channels and pickup pattern). If all you want is flexible stereo, Mid-Side is cool and more cost effective (we have an Audio Technica BP4029- some recordings played back over monitor speakers have gotten me to turn around thinking the sound was actually behind me).

Exactly that what I was looking at! BP4029, whatever examples I have heard are just fantastic! You are seriously into my mind (be it Canon's or microphones!)!

Had you ever put the Audix on a boom? Swinging it around, and what not? I am worrying if it is extra sensitive to handling and booming. Schoeps, for most of my jobs is overkill here, I was considering more the 8050/8040 or the good old 50 (which isn't less expensive that the Schoeps, to be honest, I just am using it for so long.. but it's distinctive sound I am starting not to like that much anymore), for something slightly cheaper something from Neuman. I have excluded AKG and AT similar mics.

The issue is that I was considering the Ambeo for the different recordings, and start doing some VR/360 stuff (even though, I doubt the market is ready for it here), and until I found any market uses for it, to record stereo ambiences. I was wondering if I could just use the Ambeo, and by pass the Audio Technica, because, you know..money! Or do you think I should buy the AT, and when the market for Ambeo matures more, invest on that too?

How is the noise floor of both those mics, because I would like to use in places with distinctive silence!

I seriously hate all you Northern Americans for your B&H!! 199$ for the mic, is a steal! It is almost 400$ here in Europe.. and it is manufactured here, anyway!

• 1 year later...