The wraps are off! Panasonic EVA1 compact cinema camera announced with Super 35 5.7K sensor and Dual Native ISO

Andrew Reid

1 hour ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Some lovely shots in there, the 120p is killer. There's still something about the tonality of the shots that I find a little off putting though, been looking to invest recently the C200 still has it for me in terms of colour. I'm nitpicking though, it's beautiful footage and makes me miss home.

Quick question, the track is lovely. I asked Siri but it directed me to a death metal song. What's the track?

you're from new zealand? that's awesome. I've been here two months with three weeks to go. I wish i had more time to explore. we have a trip to queenstown scheduled before we go. but i've been cutting and shooting out of park road post in wellington and have been working through nearly every weekend to make deadlines. doesn't leave much time for anything else. still, i love it here.

that music is a track I got off Artlist.io. I have a subscription. As for the color rendition, I think Canon's emphasis on great skin tone brings an amazing "living photograph" quality to their imaging. It's fantastic. For me, it was between an EVA1 and C200. Made a list of what I thought "won" in over a dozen categories and it was close. but ultimately I chose the EVA1 for its color fidelity, more detailed image, actual 2K rather than HD, and its finer noise character.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

I Made a list of what I thought "won" in over a dozen categories and it was close. but ultimately I chose the EVA1 for its color fidelity, more detailed image, actual 2K rather than HD, and its finer noise character.

What is your opinion of the Dual ISO feature in real use? I would think that would have be a Plus over the C200 also?

1 hour ago, webrunner5 said:

What is your opinion of the Dual ISO feature in real use? I would think that would have be a Plus over the C200 also?

I think they are pretty even in terms of noise. This is speculation on my part (because i'm too lazy to look it up) but I believe the EVA1 at 5.7K would have smaller photosites packed onto the sensor, so while you get a more detailed image than the C200, you also get more noise at higher ISOs. So my gut tells me that the dual ISO is just bringing it back to acceptable levels for a more even match, rather than pulling ahead of the crowd.

26 minutes ago, Zak Forsman said:

I think they are pretty even in terms of noise. This is speculation on my part (because i'm too lazy to look it up) but I believe the EVA1 at 5.7K would have smaller photosites packed onto the sensor, so while you get a more detailed image than the C200, you also get more noise at higher ISOs. So my gut tells me that the dual ISO is just bringing it back to acceptable levels for a more even match, rather than pulling ahead of the crowd.

Thanks. Yeah no such thing as a free lunch. But I think that is one weakness I still see with the C200, is other than shooting in Raw, you really Can't get a sharp output when you do need it in like Documentary and Corporate interviews as an example. I can always soften it, but sure can't sharpen it.

I think you made a good choice, especially since Canon wimped out with a good middle Codec on it, and that Panny added Firmware 2.0 to the EVA1, Wow that is some nice Codecs...

https://***URL not allowed***/panasonic-au-eva1-firmware-2-0-enables-codecs-raw-output/

8 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

you're from new zealand? that's awesome. I've been here two months with three weeks to go. I wish i had more time to explore. we have a trip to queenstown scheduled before we go. but i've been cutting and shooting out of park road post in wellington and have been working through nearly every weekend to make deadlines. doesn't leave much time for anything else. still, i love it here.

that music is a track I got off Artlist.io. I have a subscription. As for the color rendition, I think Canon's emphasis on great skin tone brings an amazing "living photograph" quality to their imaging. It's fantastic. For me, it was between an EVA1 and C200. Made a list of what I thought "won" in over a dozen categories and it was close. but ultimately I chose the EVA1 for its color fidelity, more detailed image, actual 2K rather than HD, and its finer noise character.

Australia’s home, but I used to travel to NZ frequently. It’s a beautiful country, the nature is incredible, would love to be there and be able to explore and shoot a little, very jealous of your remaining time. 

And so many good options for cameras in this price point, EVA1 certainly wins out for codec and slow mo. Like the ‘living photograph’ remark as well, can’t wait to do some traveling with the C200.

• 3 months later...
On 7/8/2018 at 4:38 AM, webrunner5 said:

Thanks. Yeah no such thing as a free lunch. But I think that is one weakness I still see with the C200, is other than shooting in Raw, you really Can't get a sharp output when you do need it in like Documentary and Corporate interviews as an example. I can always soften it, but sure can't sharpen it.

I think you made a good choice, especially since Canon wimped out with a good middle Codec on it, and that Panny added Firmware 2.0 to the EVA1, Wow that is some nice Codecs...

https://***URL not allowed***/panasonic-au-eva1-firmware-2-0-enables-codecs-raw-output/

At some point Canon could release a new codec through firmware though. Not sure If they will though. But should they charge for such a firmware update (like prores example), I am sure a lot of people would buy the firmware update, and would also attract new customers to the C200 body as well. If they would do that, I might buy one as well.