The wraps are off! Panasonic EVA1 compact cinema camera announced with Super 35 5.7K sensor and Dual Native ISO

Andrew Reid

22 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Man I had to go a Long ways back to get a real EVA1 thread! I know sort of out of out price ranges for the most part. Well new Firmware announced with Raw. Nice. Speaking of EVA1, where is Zak!

https://nofilmschool.com/2018/02/eva1-firmware-update-unleashes-full-raw-potential

http://www.4kshooters.net/2018/02/23/panasonic-eva1-firmware-2-0-details-5-7k-raw-4k-60p-raw-output/

haha! i still poke my head in here to see what's going on, but I've been cutting a special for HBO since the first of the year that's been keeping me busy. we just delivered it yesterday and am looking forward to finding some time to shoot. In mid-january I was the cinematographer on a short performance piece. EVA1, contax-zeiss 35mm f/1.4 modded with an internal 2x oval aperture.

vZL3y7M.jpg

Also, we've been prepping for the release of our latest feature (I didn't direct this one) shot on two GH4s.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 1 month later...
On 2/24/2018 at 11:58 PM, anonim said:

Provided article revealed that Raw data output via 6G-SDI will be:

5.7K Raw up to 30p (S35)

4K Raw up to 60p (Four Thirds Crop)

2K Raw up to 240fps (Four Thirds Crop)

What's me in theory interest is: regarding 4/3 Crop, would be in theory possible to use m43 lenses and get raw files if EVA1 (or some of its variant) provide changeability also to m43 mount as solution?

All those 4/3" options are exactly why it was so very dumb of Panasonic to not release it in a locking MFT mount option, and even worse they keep on resisting any suggestion of doing this in the future. 

On 2/25/2018 at 3:36 AM, kye said:

I studied the screenshots as I have created a similar setup, but what I couldn't see was where Kai's lav mic was going - it's not going into the GoPro or into the GH5, so I suspect it's an outboard recorder of some kind tucked in a pocket and synced manually.  This makes sense as occasionally Kai will be a long distance from the camera but still audible.

Possibly a Tascam DR10L or similar. (or the Tascam DR10CS as they're in the UK!)

On 2/25/2018 at 8:28 AM, webrunner5 said:

I don't see why not if someone would make a m4/3 to EF adapter, Sort of the same thing the JVC LS300 is doing.

What do you mean? EF lenses to MFT mount already exist?

Or if you mean MFT lenses to to EF mount..... ??? Then that is completely impossible (not with completely unacceptable compromises, such as being limited to macro shots), and in no way relevant to the JVC LS300. 

9 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Possibly a Tascam DR10L or similar. (or the Tascam DR10CS as they're in the UK!)

What do you mean? EF lenses to MFT mount already exist?

Or if you mean MFT lenses to to EF mount..... ??? Then that is completely impossible (not with completely unacceptable compromises, such as being limited to macro shots), and in no way relevant to the JVC LS300. 

MFT lenses to EF mount.. That is what I meant. And I will still stand by my statement the Panasonic probably looked at the LS300 sales and said, why bother with a m4/3 mount on a EVA1. Looks like only 22 people are interested. It had to be a shot in the butt to say hell nobody really wants a mount we sort of created!

1 minute ago, webrunner5 said:

MFT lenses to EF mount..

Impossible.  (not without wildly unacceptable compromises)

The physics of the universe prevents it. 

2 minutes ago, webrunner5 said:

And I will still stand by my statement the Panasonic probably looked at the LS3000 sales and said, why bother with a m4/3 mount on a EVA1. Looks like only 22 people are interested.

It didn't sell as well as other cameras because it is a JVC....   the brand name is why.

Any sales success which the JVC LS300 did have, would be thanks a lot to because it has a MFT mount on the LS300.

On 2/25/2018 at 4:30 PM, Zak Forsman said:

Also, we've been prepping for the release of our latest feature (I didn't direct this one) shot on two GH4s.

Looks niiiiice!

Nah I think if they would have went with a EF mount they would have sold more of them. JVC has always built good stuff. Years ago they made better stuff than Panasonic. It really wasn't until Panny came out with the P2 concept that they took off. It was too Canon VG 10 ish with the crops like that. I don't know of Anyone on here that even bought one? Maybe talked about buying one when they got down to 1200 bucks LoL. We all know who that might be!

Most people relate m4/3 to toy cameras. Like it or not. It is sort of the kiss of death with Pro stuff. As long as Sony can build a FF A7 camera the size of a m4/3 body it ain't changing. That is why people look at a GH body and say WTF. It ought to be the size of a Minox B. Truth be known Panasonic might have made that big just to look more "Pro" than Olympus at the time.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

All those 4/3" options are exactly why it was so very dumb of Panasonic to not release it in a locking MFT mount option, and even worse they keep on resisting any suggestion of doing this in the future. 

Is it possible that reason also may be (at least I'm suspecting so) lacking of internal software manipulation for electronic m43 lenses? For example, when I worked with BM cameras with m43 mount, I noticed pretty big amount of uncorrected distortion, not so well controled CA etc - that, although could be compromised, may prevents best professional results? In other words, is it possible that Panasonic's own wide gama of lenses is not optimized for professional use outside of cooperation with specific inner software solution that not exists in construction of EVA? So, lack of using of that inner corrections would revealed some weakness of these lenese... I've totally dismissed usage of native Panasonic lenses, but taking of Voigtlander's, Veydra's, SLR Magic's, Kowa's could be very tempting and interesting...

• 4 weeks later...

@Zak Forsman Nice framing. I love the symmetry and art direction in the two shot. The fact that he’s drinking wine and she’s drinking a beer says a lot. Obviously, there is a lot going on in that scene... she has a plate of food and his hands may or may not be tied under the table... either way, it’s a good shot.

I also really like the final shot of her dead center in the frame. She seems so confidently demented with that smirk on her face... good stuff.

• 2 months later...

My wife and I have been working in Wellington, New Zealand for the last two months (shooting and cutting behind the scenes for a movie) and finally got a weekend to go explore. We drove onto a ferry to the south island and made our way along its northern coast to Golden Bay. I brought my EVA1 & Gratical Eye with me. Sadly, I couldn't shoot some of the amazing hikes we went on due to heavy rain, but got some good stuff nonetheless.

Most of this is DCI 2K in 10-bit 422 All-I at 120fps. At least two clips are scaled down from DCI 4K at 23.976. Lenses were my Contax Zeiss 35mm & 85mm. Both modded with a 2x oval fixed aperture for a faux anamorphic look. Everything was composed for 2.39:1. Graded in DaVinci. Couldn’t spend as much time on it as I wanted to because of work. Might revisit when I have more time. Sweet as.

The North Side of the South Island - New Zealand

iyXMhCs.jpg

UKEFwuQ.jpg

n2kJT8E.jpg

5 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

My wife and I have been working in Wellington, New Zealand for the last two months (shooting and cutting behind the scenes for a movie) and finally got a weekend to go explore. We drove onto a ferry to the south island and made our way along its northern coast to Golden Bay. I brought my EVA1 & Gratical Eye with me. Sadly, I couldn't shoot some of the amazing hikes we went on due to heavy rain, but got some good stuff nonetheless.

Most of this is DCI 2K in 10-bit 422 All-I at 120fps. At least two clips are scaled down from DCI 4K at 23.976. Lenses were my Contax Zeiss 35mm & 85mm. Both modded with a 2x oval fixed aperture for a faux anamorphic look. Everything was composed for 2.39:1. Graded in DaVinci. Couldn’t spend as much time on it as I wanted to because of work. Might revisit when I have more time. Sweet as.

iyXMhCs.jpg

UKEFwuQ.jpg

n2kJT8E.jpg

I like the idea of using the Gratical Eye that way being able to be raised so you can cradle the camera better, and and get a different prospective.

Short was very well done as usual. The camera is getting the job done now doubt.

On 7/5/2018 at 11:58 PM, Zak Forsman said:

The North Side of the South Island - New Zealand

Some lovely shots in there, the 120p is killer. There's still something about the tonality of the shots that I find a little off putting though, been looking to invest recently the C200 still has it for me in terms of colour. I'm nitpicking though, it's beautiful footage and makes me miss home.

Quick question, the track is lovely. I asked Siri but it directed me to a death metal song. What's the track?