The wraps are off! Panasonic EVA1 compact cinema camera announced with Super 35 5.7K sensor and Dual Native ISO

Andrew Reid

Got a look at the EVA1 when came through Northern California on a Panasonic tour. It has a lot of great features, but anamorphic shooting isn't one of them, unfortunately. That's a deal killer for me personally. If a firmware update changes that, I'll take another look. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, RobertoSF said:

Got a look at the EVA1 when came through Northern California on a Panasonic tour. It has a lot of great features, but anamorphic shooting isn't one of them, unfortunately. That's a deal killer for me personally. If a firmware update changes that, I'll take another look. 

I just rigged my EVA1 up with my Kowa BH (in a Rectilux housing) using my Leica Summicron 35, 50 and 90mm set as taking lenses, and it is awesome. Was also happy to note that i can get away with a 35mm taking lens without vignetting given the fact that I'm doing a 2.39:1 center extraction.

16 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

I think this thread will get really exiting, once some forum members got their hands on the camera. Looking forward to see some footage then. I imagine @Zak Forsman might get his hands on an EVA some time soon. :) That will be an exiting opinion from a director and writer and producer of independent cinema films.

Received mine 10 days ago. I honestly thought I'd be posting a bunch of footage with it, but the truth is, I'm having so much fun with it that I haven't had any spare time for uploading to vimeo. Hopefully soon, during the holidays. But broad strokes for me is this is a fantastic cinema camera. the two most important factors for me are color rendition and dynamic range and this excels at both. here are some quick pics from the day I received it, all rigged up and stripped down to almost nothing.

dfCaIaI.jpg

aZJFOUY.jpg

rTRgTxh.jpg

On 11/16/2017 at 3:23 AM, jax_rox said:

A rear-mounted EVF is, honestly, useless.

I have to disagree, I have an AF100 (basically the predecessor of the EVA1) and have been using the EVF every time I went handheld (around half the time I used the AF100). I don't think the EVF is useless to everyone.

That said, the only drawback I see to the EVA1 is the EF Mount. A shorter flange mount would certainly make a big difference to me. Everything else seems great !

41 minutes ago, Justin Bacle said:

I have to disagree, I have an AF100 (basically the predecessor of the EVA1) and have been using the EVF every time I went handheld (around half the time I used the AF100). I don't think the EVF is useless to everyone.

Totally agree. EVF is very handy. Use it all the time on the GH5 and miss it on the C100 mk1

3 hours ago, Justin Bacle said:

That said, the only drawback I see to the EVA1 is the EF Mount. A shorter flange mount would certainly make a big difference to me. Everything else seems great !

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/11/16/wooden-camera-creates-pl-mount-panasonic-eva1/

I used the EVF a lot when I had the AF100A also, but it was mostly because the LCD sicked ass in the sunlight. But I think it was a pretty great viewfinder.

8 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

I just rigged my EVA1 up with my Kowa BH (in a Rectilux housing) using my Leica Summicron 35, 50 and 90mm set as taking lenses, and it is awesome. Was also happy to note that i can get away with a 35mm taking lens without vignetting given the fact that I'm doing a 2.39:1 center extraction.

That's an exciting looking rig. Looking forward to seeing images from your Kowa BH set-up. I share your passion for color rendition and dynamic range, and I suspect the EVA1 will perform well with these.

Also nice to see that Wooden Camera in Dallas has created a PL mount for the EVA1, albeit one requiring shims and may void the camera's warranty. That's welcomed news nonetheless as I have a happy marriage with my PL glass.

Bottomline... Panasonic... needs to provide access to 2x anamorphic shooting via menus, like the Varicams and GH5 do. Then their line will be unbroken.

Meanwhile, looking forward to seeing those images.

@Zak Forsman Nice! Do you also come across the issue I'm having sometimes with the sidegrip? If I hold the camera one-handed using the grip it sometimes unlocks the rotation. My lens weighs about 800grams (Sigma 18-35). Haven't had time to contact support yet, was like this since day one for me. (With top-handle & mic on tho). It doesn't happen all the time but my heartrate always jumps when it does...

On 11/18/2017 at 8:32 AM, jonpais said:

@ssrdd cool down, buddy. It certainly sounds like you have a grudge against Panasonic to me. Your comments about firing Panasonic employees, snidely asking when GH5 firmware v3 is coming out and insisting that Alexa is the only way to go for quality make you sound childish and naive, not professional at all. And to claim Panasonic is withholding 70% of their tech (or whatever - impossible to understand your baseless and unverifiable bs) is utter nonsense. Cut it out now.

I dont have grudge on anybody. So chill. Camera companies sounds having 10bit is the mighty technological wonder for below 10k. Thats where my concern is. 

Dint you see gh5 video focussing tests? Yes i need a new firmware adressing that. 

Childishhhhhhh! 

13 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

@Zak Forsman a bit off topic but can you share your impression of the Gratical Eye?...your build out looks great!...also what adapter are you using on your Leicas, or did they come in an EF mount? 

I bought these semi-permanent mounts to from Leitax. Well worth the money, perfectly solid. No play like you'd get with an adapter because it's basically bolted on.

http://www.leitax.com/conversion/Contax-Canon/Contax_AE/index.html

5 hours ago, sondreg said:

@Zak Forsman Nice! Do you also come across the issue I'm having sometimes with the sidegrip? If I hold the camera one-handed using the grip it sometimes unlocks the rotation. My lens weighs about 800grams (Sigma 18-35). Haven't had time to contact support yet, was like this since day one for me. (With top-handle & mic on tho). It doesn't happen all the time but my heartrate always jumps when it does...

I have a tiny bit of play. It's never come unlocked though. That being said, Panasonic announced they improved the side handle and will ship replacements. I would join the EVA1 Facebook group if you haven't already. Mitch Gross (the Varicam and EVA1 rep) is posting details in there.

8 hours ago, ssrdd said:

I dont have grudge on anybody. So chill. Camera companies sounds having 10bit is the mighty technological wonder for below 10k. Thats where my concern is. 

Dint you see gh5 video focussing tests? Yes i need a new firmware adressing that. 

Childishhhhhhh! 

First of all, 10-bit is a big deal. Secondly, you knew about the focusing when you bought the camera. If you didn't, shame on you. Thirdly, I'm asking you politely, cut it out, or start your own hating on Panasonic blog. This isn't the GH5 thread.

Odd.... I had a play around with it today, and it doesn't tell you when it loses connection with the TC box. 

Neither does it have any method to explicitly jam TC, it just "does it".

(Sooo errr... yeah, wish there was a way to feel more certain about this. )

I feel there must be some errors in the audio section of this camera still... The point of where the audio clips is either at 0dB or way lower and I have no idea why. I have a clip where in the beginning it goes to 0dB and later won't go any higher than -25. I was using a phantom powered mic, and lowered the volume of the mic just a little bit at the start on the side panel (maybe 1 stop down on the dial). Luckily we did backup audio recording...  Anyone else experienced this / found a solution? The levels looked fine on the peakmeter! (Audio rested just in the middle) I couldn't do any monitoring at the time.

5a1ad40c2532d_eva1audiobug.thumb.png.7b71133b76487ffe9865a431de1f288e.png