The wraps are off! Panasonic EVA1 compact cinema camera announced with Super 35 5.7K sensor and Dual Native ISO

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Six minutes of untouched 4K VLOG straight from the camera. Will upload the individual clips for download later. 

Everything was shot with the Sigma 24-70mm f2.8 on the EVA1. Aperture was mostly at f/2.8. No autofoucs was used. I manual focused with the focus square feature (which I love BTW). The only light source was a small Hive light with a softbox over it. I measured it at about 500-700 lux where most people were standing in the video.

All footage is untouched VLOG straight from the camera. The noise definitely looks worse on YouTube. If you apply a LUT to the raw footage it looks way better.  

2:42 I compare ISOs 2500-25600 then down to 1000.
4:00 I turn on EIS and test it a bit.

Here's the mother lode: 
4K 10bit 422 clips from the EVA1
15 are in VLOG and 1 is in Rec709
Most of the shots are with the 2500 base ISO
The white balance is wrong on all clips. The camera was set to 3200k with a 5500k light source. I didn't realize until I shot most of the clips (kinda hard to tell with VLOG).
These are mainly just random shots I took while exploring the camera and testing out focus assists.
Have fun playing around with them and look out for the cameo from Mitch Gross!

https://gtvault-my.sharepoint.com/personal/rraj9_gatech_edu/_layouts/15/guestaccess.aspx?folderid=093103eddffad4d9290335742bb81c158&authkey=AS4oW0CV_wq099VsOGHOHKk

Looks great!. I assume this is with the new firmware? I'm almost sold on this camera already. Looks suprisingly good when stopped down too!

@Rajminster, did you get to see if there were any options for the audio channels in the camera? In the clips you provided all I get is a single embedded stereochannel (internal mic?)

Great comparison video by ProAV here...

Carl also made some of his clips available for download.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/wwa5kx5e4r9f8v8/AAAFDUA7OIXYRrK82FvtaZUXa?dl=0

I ran them thru ACES (Panasonic V35 -> Rec.709) in DaVinci and only made lift/gamma/gain adjustments. No color adjustments. First thing you'll notice is the scooter in the background appeared orange in Carl's contrast/saturation correction from V-Log. Here it is back to a more accurate red.

Attaching a TIF of the ACES version here as well.

EVA1ACES_1.1.1.tif

21 hours ago, Rajminster said:

@sondreg I unfortunately did not mess with the audio channel settings. The audio is from the internal mic. I would assume the combos available are either internal stereo, single XLR, or stereo from both XLRs. I did not confirm this in the menu, but it's a reasonable assumption. 

Wonder if it could do 4 channels like the FS7?

An extensive review of the EVA1 by Newsshooter...

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/11/01/panasonic-au-eva1-hands-on-review/

As color rendition is a top priority for me, I was happy to read Matt's assessment: "In my personal view (feel free to disagree with me in the comments!) the EVA1 has the most accurate colour rendition of any of the sub $10K cameras that are out there. The colours are very reminiscent of the Varicam LT and you would struggle to tell the two apart."

Camera's not without its flaws but I expect I'll be pretty happy with it. Here's a short doc Matt shot with it.

its been more than 2 years that I am using Rx10mk2. time to upgrade. 

After newsshooter review On EVA1-Lack of viewfinder-4:2:0 in 60fps-No dual fixel focus, Not great in low light. Its not really an upgrade, panasonic is too late for market or trend.

Right now my choice is C200 for its internal 12bit and 10bit RAW light upto 60fps, Viewfinder, Great autofocus with native lenses. Lets see what comes ahead..

5 hours ago, ssrdd said:

its been more than 2 years that I am using Rx10mk2. time to upgrade. 

After newsshooter review On EVA1-Lack of viewfinder-4:2:0 in 60fps-No dual fixel focus, Not great in low light. Its not really an upgrade, panasonic is too late for market or trend.

Right now my choice is C200 for its internal 12bit and 10bit RAW light upto 60fps, Viewfinder, Great autofocus with native lenses. Lets see what comes ahead..

You'd be silly if you thought that the EVA1 isn't an upgrade over an RX10ii.

For my money, it's the best looking image <$10k. 

4 hours ago, jax_rox said:

You'd be silly if you thought that the EVA1 isn't an upgrade over an RX10ii.

For my money, it's the best looking image <$10k. 

My hope is the next camera i own should last at least 5 years. Yes Pansonic EVA1 is disppointing, specially 420 8bit for 60fps. Meanwhile i cant rent gh5 for 50 dollers. 

2 hours ago, ssrdd said:

My hope is the next camera i own should last at least 5 years. Yes Pansonic EVA1 is disppointing, specially 420 8bit for 60fps. Meanwhile i cant rent gh5 for 50 dollers. 

Nobody around here said that. So, "No!". The opposite is the case. You got something wrong here: People find the EVA a very satisfying camera. It is a really awesome camera from what the article says, which you have been cititing. But you´ve been giving a complete wrong summuary: Newsshotters article says it is a great camera with better mixed light capabilities than sub 10.000 USD cameras from Canon and Black Magic. Good low light but no low light beast, pleasure to use, great colors- even Varicam like . To use an addtional EVF like a Zacuto Gratical Eye would also be necessary with a camera like the C300 MKII, by the way, or with Black magic cameras.

So I think your post is totally wrong, completley and totally wrong on interpreting the newsshooters article to its complete opposite of what is was actually stating. Renting a GH5, on the other hand you´re right about that, is a fantastic idea in its own right of course!:)

"If you are in the market for a sub $10k digital cinema camera then the EVA1 is definitely a camera you should be seriously considering." These are Matthew Allards words about the EVA in the article you´ve been referring to :)

13 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Nobody around here said that. So, "No!". The opposite is the case. You got something wrong here: People find the EVA a very satisfying camera. It is a really awesome camera from what the article says, which you have been cititing. But you´ve been giving a complete wrong summuary: Newsshotters article says it is a great camera with better mixed light capabilities than sub 10.000 USD cameras from Canon and Black Magic. Good low light but no low light beast, pleasure to use, great colors- even Varicam like . To use an addtional EVF like a Zacuto Gratical Eye would also be necessary with a camera like the C300 MKII, by the way, or with Black magic cameras.

So I think your post is totally wrong, completley and totally wrong on interpreting the newsshooters article to its complete opposite of what is was actually stating. Renting a GH5, on the other hand you´re right about that, is a fantastic idea in its own right of course!:)

"If you are in the market for a sub $10k digital cinema camera then the EVA1 is definitely a camera you should be seriously considering." These are Matthew Allards words about the EVA in the article you´ve been referring to :)

I need on board RAW[some form of] and Autofocus and great low light sensitivity. Eva cant offer anything what i need. So please dont get angry over a pice of plastic box. 

Its ok EVA can have Great 8bit codec for slowmotion and no viewfinder, crop slowmotion, Can justify all that money. good for you, good for panasonic. Its my personal opinion also i have done several projects on Varicam 35,Pure And LT. 

On 11/3/2017 at 3:55 PM, ssrdd said:

I need on board RAW[some form of] and Autofocus and great low light sensitivity. Eva cant offer anything what i need. So please dont get angry over a pice of plastic box. 

EVA1 will allow external raw with a future firmware update. The low light sensitivity beats Blackmagic and the GH5 hands-down. And probably will match or better the C200 for low light.

As for everything else, paper specs mean little. The Alexa doesn't even have a 4K sensor and shoots ProRes for the most part. On paper, RED should beat it in every quantifiable spec. But it doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had the EVA1 for almost a week now, but sickness and rain has prevented me from using it too much. However I've had a couple days of shooting and thought I'd share some random samples from some documentary footage . Only the sunrise shot has been graded (lifted shadows). A lot of the shots are handheld. Lenses used are the sigma 18-35 and canon 70-200 f2.8. I Don't have any proper IR footage but I'll get some eventually.

I used ACEScct V35 to Rec 709 in Davinci to correct the Vlog. Only ISO 2500 or 800. Exposed to +0EV in cam. No NR in cam or in post

Just a bunch of random shots in a random order!

Things I've noticed about the EVA1 though:

At base ISO and in VLOG the ceiling for the waveform monitor is at 92%. When you stop the ISO down (2500 base, ISO 1000) the ceiling drops about 10% (to 83 or something like that). A pretty big drop in DR! I'd only go higher than base on the ISO if needed.

Battery indicator is only in bars, no percentage

LCD is very reflective, hard to tell if things are in focus! I'm planning on picking up a camera monitor for it later.

Ergonomics feel great, no complaints! However the side grip can unlock itself if put under too much weight (to adjust the rotation, it doesn't fall off). Might be just my unit though.

Underexposure can get noisy (who would have thought) - however it looks more like film grain than digital noise most of the times. I haven't tested this with the built in NR function.

Honestly a really awesome camera and can't wait for the 400mbps & raw update. I can export the original V-Log footage and post it here for download if anyone wants later.

EDIT: I exported for youtube H264 at 68mbps, is there a better way to get less compression on YT?

On 11/3/2017 at 5:55 PM, ssrdd said:

I need on board RAW[some form of]

Realistically most people don't need on board raw. Just a solid 10bit (or 12 bit) codec. 

Even many higher budget shoots don't do raw. (or even 4K)

And lower budget shoots don't have budgets to justify it.