The wraps are off! Panasonic EVA1 compact cinema camera announced with Super 35 5.7K sensor and Dual Native ISO

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, mercer said:

Did reading that reply confuse you and leave you unable to follow the rest of the thread?

?

No, not at all, I meant to omit the reply altogether. Only the original post was of interest. While I do commend the filmmaker for creating the movie, it is no more relevant to this thread than shooting a movie on a Red. 

1 minute ago, DBounce said:

No, not at all, I meant to omit your reply altogether. Only the original post was of interest. While I do commend the filmmaker for creating the movie, it is no more relevant to this thread than shooting a movie on a Red. 

Yeah I get it, I just believe that conversations sometime evolve and great information can be had from that evolution... so I guess I just don’t see the big deal if a side conversation occurs. But it’s not my forum, just my opinion. 

1 hour ago, DBounce said:

So Panasonic have instructed everyone to hold off from releasing footage. I think that is a positive, as the footage that has thus far been released was none too forgiving in less than ideal lighting conditions.  

Well, if there was a problem with the camera then I am not sure why they went ahead with all three shorts in the first place. Couldn't they see the problem? Or couldn't they tell them to not use high ISOs before they make all the adjustments? 

Given the positive experience from the guy at ProAV, I want to believe that it was just a miscalibrated camera with a non optimal flat field correction that they used in the desert. Cause everything else looked fine.

So it might have been just bad quality control, and thats why Panasonic HQ put the hold. 

48 minutes ago, DBounce said:

No, not at all, I meant to omit the reply altogether. Only the original post was of interest. While I do commend the filmmaker for creating the movie, it is no more relevant to this thread than shooting a movie on a Red. 

To me it was. I´ve been a Panny fan for years. And GH4 filmmaking is an indicator what even greater can be done with an EVA.

It is always great to see GH4 footage in comparison with footage from a camera like EVA. The latter one clearly being the superiour camera. The former

one with the better filmmakers at hand still, such as  producers like Zak. The remark about Red- I hundred percent agree with you though on that one. :)

On 6/6/2017 at 11:19 AM, Kisaha said:

On an alternative world, Nikon lenses could have been the defacto video lenses of our generation. I believe the C series cameras helped with those lenses sale and vice versa. They created some kind of buzz, that sold a lot of lenses (when the first C300 and C100 were out, people were buying one of those and a pellicase full of lenses!) while before they were using camcorders with fixed ones (remember that the Sony EX-1 was more expensive than the C100 cameras on realease, and now people complain about the 7500$ of the C200!), or similar.

Prior to C300/C100, then Nikon lenses were by far the default option for stills lenses on film shoots. (such as on RED or F3 or AF100 or an EX1 with a S35 adapter etc...)

Even C300 owners, lots were using Nikon lenses on it. 

Nikon was already first to market with the Nikon D90, if only they hadn't let the Canon HDSLRs then get ahead in the early years of the HDSLR Revolution, and pushed on with better innovations (it took until the D5200/D750/D500/etc for Nikon to catch up and then take the lead from Canon, too little & too late for many people!).

Then brought out a "N300/N100" video camera of their own, it would be easy to imagine a world where Nikon lenses are still the default option for lower budget shoots. 

10 hours ago, DBounce said:

He shot it on a GH4, we're talking about EVA1.......  that is kinda sort of relevant!

It certainly is a lot more on topic than some of our other threads which go off topic! :-o (such as those which drift into political discussions....  ha!)

11 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

@IronFilm, I dare you to post a link without your own awesome opinion about it :)

Wait... didn't I just do that? 

Or do you mean you DO want a comment with that video? Ok, here it is (as the post can't be edited now):

"What a BUMMER that Panasonic won't let more footage from the EVA1 to be shown! Instead we were just left to listen to them describe it :-/ :-( "

11 hours ago, PannySVHS said:

Extrashot is becoming a favorite of mine.

Same! Always amusing to watch. 

On 3.10.2017 at 8:50 AM, IronFilm said:

Wait... didn't I just do that? 

Or do you mean you DO want a comment with that video? Ok, here it is (as the post can't be edited now):

"What a BUMMER that Panasonic won't let more footage from the EVA1 to be shown! Instead we were just left to listen to them describe it :-/ :-( "

Exactly. Exellent comment to an exellent review, with exellent footage from an exellent camera. But bummer, where is the footage :)

• 2 weeks later...

I tested this camera on IBC, but wasnt that impressed overal. The only thing that is has going for it, is its low weight. Wasnt that impressed by the C200 either to be honest. Ursa mini pro is still the best low budget cinema camera out there. I was totally blown away with the new sony venice though, but that is a different pricepoint alltogheter.

1 hour ago, Don Kotlos said:

Cheers to @Zak Forsman for uploading the parts on YT:

my pleasure.

this was also posted today. ExtraShot had to cover up their EVA1 footage when they originally released this review, but today got a green light to release it properly. this is not final firmware however.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

Does anyone has an opinion how it compares with C100/C300 mk2 cameras in low light?

Not with those, but I've been looking at the C200 closely and after watching tons of reviews with sample footage on it, I think what we've seen from the EVA1 is that the noise is marginally less pronounced, tighter, finer and generally more attractive. I also don't see any of the cyan/magenta macroblocking that turned me off from the GH4 and GH5. the C200 delivers a beautiful image but I've seen enough of the thicker "blobby" (it's a word now) noise in its shadows for me to feel pretty confident that the EVA1 is (while still having its own noise issues) the better option for me in that regard. We'll see how I feel when I actually receive mine and put it to the test.

1 hour ago, Zak Forsman said:

I also don't see any of the cyan/magenta macroblocking that turned me off from the GH4 and GH5. 

You can shoot 4k 50p in cine-d with a unified LUT to match vlog at 25p 10bit. For the price though one could go external recorder for those shots that required 4k 50p 10bit vlog.