The wraps are off! Panasonic EVA1 compact cinema camera announced with Super 35 5.7K sensor and Dual Native ISO

Andrew Reid

• Super Members

I just don't understand why they haven't done a swappable version.

The swap on an Epic between PL and Canon mounts takes a few minutes with an allen key and even with RED doing their macho bullshit styling and etching everything in BOLD CAPITALS on it can't get it to be over $700 (although inevitably they have also an operation-desert-storm-kevlar-titanium-and-granite version of it for a gazillion quid).

The bottom line though is even doing a swappable version is all a bit of a wheel re-invention as having an MFT mount on it from the get go just gives you more options. They could've gone as far as bundling it with a Metabones smart EF Speedbooster and I think everyone would've been happy.

It won't stop me buying one as I wasn't going to anyway so maybe they have listened to the right focus group from that perspective !

5 minutes ago, mercer said:

I think you're more interested in the possibilities of a future AF200 and not an EVA1.

I am too.

Now you're 'over' IBIS the future AF200 for you is the current LS300 ;)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
13 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I just don't understand why they haven't done a swappable version.

The swap on an Epic between PL and Canon mounts takes a few minutes with an allen key and even with RED doing their macho bullshit styling and etching everything in BOLD CAPITALS on it can't get it to be over $700 (although inevitably they have also an operation-desert-storm-kevlar-titanium-and-granite version of it for a gazillion quid).

The bottom line though is even doing a swappable version is all a bit of a wheel re-invention as having an MFT mount on it from the get go just gives you more options. They could've gone as far as bundling it with a Metabones smart EF Speedbooster and I think everyone would've been happy.

It won't stop me buying one as I wasn't going to anyway so maybe they have listened to the right focus group from that perspective !

Now you're 'over' IBIS the future AF200 for you is the current LS300 ;)

I'm not really "over" IBIS, I've just realized I don't "need" it. But I would love an LS300. Maybe after I sell a screenplay. I think the multi sized sensor and prime zoom of the LS300 are some of the best advancements in the past 5 years. If Panasonic thought of it, it would be the most praised tech on this site. Lol. 

16 hours ago, tupp said:

... Not to mention that Panasonic could customize the external housing of the smart adapters to follow the form of the camera, employing a extra reinforcement flange that bolts the adapter to the camera body.

Clueless EF shooters would mount (and electronically control) their lenses with no wobble... and they would be none the wiser that they were actually using an adapter!

Exactly what I mean when I say a "locking MFT" mount!

Like the Sony FZ mount, or the new E mount on the FS7 mk2. 

17 hours ago, Zak Forsman said:

I'm heavily invested in EF mount lenses. Beyond a small collection of Sigma Art and Tokina lenses, I've got a set of Leica Summicron-R lenses adapted to EF mount, and a set of Contax-Zeiss lenses adapted to EF mount. And I like the idea that I can use these on my EVA1 (pre-ordered) and if I wish, can use a GH5 with a .71x Speed Booster as a b-cam to get the exact same Super35 1.5x field of view.

A Panasonic EVA1 MFT would allow you to do all that, **and** give you the additional options of gaining a stop of light with a FF FoV with your lenses if using a focal reducer.

*And* let you use MFT lenses too, if you ever changed your mind and went down that path in the future (or sold your EVA1 MFT in the future to a MFT shooter then they could buy it from you).

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

A Panasonic EVA1 MFT would allow you to do all that, **and** give you the additional options of gaining a stop of light with a FF FoV with your lenses if using a focal reducer.

*And* let you use MFT lenses too, if you ever changed your mind and went down that path in the future (or sold your EVA1 MFT in the future to a MFT shooter then they could buy it from you).

believe me i know. I've been doing exactly that for years. i understand the advantages and disadvantages. full frame is fun and I enjoy shooting in it, but in this case, I *want* a super35 (1.5x) sensor digital cinema camera to shoot films with. I want that because that's the standard I'm used to for motion pictures. besides, I don't like using a focal reducer with my vintage lenses because they exacerbate blooming, CA, and soft corners for apertures wider than f/2.8, which negates the advantage of the metabones' extra stop, or more. fortunately, I won't need that extra stop with a native 2500 ISO (providing it's just as clean as 800 which we have yet to see from the EVA1). and last, I have the 5D3/MLRAW option for when I want the full frame look (which I'm also a fan of for the right project).

side note: I used to own a good bit of MFT lenses when I was an AF100 and then GH4 owner. always found them a little too small to operate with my big bear paws. :) the contax zeiss I'm using now look f***ing amazing and suit me better.

I appreciate what your saying. just offering a different pov. 

21 hours ago, mercer said:

Do you have another feature in the works?

yes, two actually. and the latest is finally getting a release date for late this year or early next. in talks now with the distributor.

8sQMBEQ.jpg

1 hour ago, Zak Forsman said:

believe me i know. I've been doing exactly that for years. i understand the advantages and disadvantages. full frame is fun and I enjoy shooting in it, but in this case, I *want* a super35 (1.5x) sensor digital cinema camera to shoot films with. I want that because that's the standard I'm used to for motion pictures. besides, I don't like using a focal reducer with my vintage lenses because they exacerbate blooming, CA, and soft corners for apertures wider than f/2.8, which negates the advantage of the metabones' extra stop, or more. fortunately, I won't need that extra stop with a native 2500 ISO (providing it's just as clean as 800 which we have yet to see from the EVA1). and last, I have the 5D3/MLRAW option for when I want the full frame look (which I'm also a fan of for the right project).

side note: I used to own a good bit of MFT lenses when I was an AF100 and then GH4 owner. always found them a little too small to operate with my big bear paws. :) the contax zeiss I'm using now look f***ing amazing and suit me better.

I appreciate what your saying. just offering a different pov. 

yes, two actually. and the latest is finally getting a release date for late this year or early next. in talks now with the distributor.

8sQMBEQ.jpg

Great poster! Is that the film you showed a trailer for a few months back?

19 hours ago, kaylee said:

poster is dope @Zak Forsman

i LOVE being able to quote my own posts!! its like reblogging myself on tumblr

@Zak Forsman one point of feedback: i would take the word "nicely" off that poster. good for a romantic comedy maybe? (Love is Nice)

now then: guys thats an awesome throwback poster, for all the reasons that illustration is great for a one sheet, the artist did a great job, v well executed. but its not a retro gimmick, to me anyway, its SUPER contemporary

it amazes me to no end how terrible the "thumbnail" images on various services for video may look, this poster on the other hand is a great, iconic, graphic design that is *intriguing* even at the size of a postage stamp. id click on that!!!!

v v cool

On 8/12/2017 at 1:09 AM, mercer said:

Well, there are a lot more costs in manufacturing than just the price of parts.

I included the manufacturing operations in the list.  The design costs are essentially the same, as the only extra cost is creating another Autocad file and adding two to eight threaded holes -- the front tube to the EF lenses has to be designed, regardless.

And there are plenty of modern super 35mm cine lenses that will mount to EF:

• Zeiss Compact Primes

• Schneider Cine Xenar III

• Cooke Mini S4

• Rokinon Cine

• Tokina Cinema

Again, your list is fine for those who don't want to stray outside of the box.  However, creative pros will often want more versatility than that list (not to mention great Cine lenses which only come in PL.

The EVA1 seems to be more of a B-Cam to a Varicam LT than an A-Cam to a GH5. I don't agree with that marketing/production decision but Panasonic seems to have designed it that way.

The short-sighted intentions of Panasonic's management/marketing/sales people have no bearing on what they should have done.  Furthermore, outside speculation on some company's intentions is not exceptionally relevant.

And not too many cinematographers are putting old Schneider Super 35mm glass on a Varicam LT.

Well, not too typical shooters are putting old Schneider cinema lenses on Alexas either, but they can if they want to!

I was helping someone on a commercial a few months ago, and the DP had just hit the big time.  She is already sitting in on panel discussions with ASC and BSC members.  She was using old Crystal Express lenses on an Alexa, and they were distinctively beautiful.

Shooters on that level usually seek alternatives to typical run-of-the-mill EF glass, as they are usually more sensitive to the subtleties of lenses' looks and effects.

Unfortunately, Micro 4/3 is just not a professional cinema camera mount.

Then neither is an EF mount.  However, cinema lens mounts don't need to be as rugged as PL or PV -- we have lens support for that.

Furthermore, Panasonic didn't have to commit to a M4/3 mount.  They could have just made a shallow interchangeable lens plate, as I have described.

And the EF mount offers enough possibilities for professional cinema lenses and for lower cost professional still lenses.

The EF mount offers only a small fraction of the possibilities available with a Micro 4/3 mount, an E-mount (there are ways to make this work) or an EF-M mount.

But as far as adapting goes, there are plenty of older lenses that will adapt to EF:

For some PL mount lenses...

That is a risky adapter as there are plenty of lenses that won't into it.

On the other hand, a simple PL adapter for M4/3 will take almost every PL lens.  In addition, some M4/3-to-PL adapters also allow TILT/SWING movement!:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TILT-adapter-ARRI-Red-One-Arriflex-PL-lens-for-Micro-Four-Thirds-4-3-cameras-/322240061177

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ARAX-TILT-adapter-ARRI-PL-lens-MICRO-4-3-Camera-Camcorder-pl-tilt-micro-adapter-/271523819029

Tilt/swing adapters are impossible with the EF mount and any full-frame or smaller lens.

So you're right, there are some lenses that won't work

FTFY:  There are countless lenses and adapters that won't work with an EF mount!

but the EVA1 isn't designed for those lenses because not a lot pro cinematographers would use old c-mounts or Veydras or Speedboosters.

No.  Regardless of speculation for whom the EVA1 is designed, a lot of the top cinematographers use PL/PV glass and also seek out all kinds of unusual optics and adapters (probably not Veydras) that will give them an edge.

Panasonic could have easily accommodated such high-end shooters (and even some of the lowly shooters who know better) while also catering to the typical EF people.

I think you're more interested in the possibilities of a future AF200 and not an EVA1.

Actually, I think that every cinematography camera should have either a shallow mount or an interchangeable lens plate.  We're experienced and creative pros -- we need versatility, not protection from FUD.

http://www.newsshooter.com/2017/08/17/newsshooter-gets-a-sneak-peek-at-a-working-panasonic-eva1/

We were also told today that the EVA1 supports V-Log and local scene files, but not full LUTs. This means you won’t be able to load up your own LUTs into the camera and you will have to use the local scene files.

No LUTs. Not sure how they can keep a straight face calling the EVA a cinema camera without LUT capability.... especially when the GH5 has them.

• 1 month later...
On 6/5/2017 at 5:10 PM, mat33 said:

All of these cameras are amazing really, as a m4/3 user I just find it interesting at the decisions Panasonics Pro division makes.  It seems they really don't like m4/3 and what the GH series have become, which is strange as they once owned the enthusiast/indie market with the DVX100.  First they gimped v-log-l by making it's standout feature be that it matched the varicam curve but in the process threw away bits of data making it pretty useless in 8-bit and now they have seemingly ruled out any solutions that give some chance of m4/3 being a system with GH5 and a more pro style cinema camera sharing lenses.

Office politics apparently. From what I've heard the leader of the pro division is mad at the GH developers for what he thinks is "stealing" from him.

On 13.8.2017 at 8:04 AM, Zak Forsman said:

Yeah, no problem! This is a 30 second teaser. We're saving the actual trailer for much closer to the release date. This film was shot on a GH4, by the way.

Looking great. Exellent trailer! When will it be out? Is your film "Down and Dangerous" available for VOD?

Edit: Just checked, it´s on Itunes.

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Office politics apparently. From what I've heard the leader of the pro division is mad at the GH developers for what he thinks is "stealing" from him.

There may be a history there, going back to the GH2, which blew us all away. A certain camera gear dealer in LA said then, "That camera looks far better than it has a right to!"