The wraps are off! Panasonic EVA1 compact cinema camera announced with Super 35 5.7K sensor and Dual Native ISO

Andrew Reid

32 minutes ago, RobertoSF said:

Can I assume my feature Mandorla was one one them? ; ) A couple of GH2s and a set of vintage anamorphic lenses was an adventurous route to go 6 years ago.

Today, like many here, I'm happy to read about the EVA announcement and await to see how it performs, and how much "Varicam" it brings.  Meanwhile, I've decided not buy the GH5 or any other camera (or computer for that matter) until I'm headed toward production and have tested cameras and a workflow from production to post.

Indeed you can!!!...I was going to go the route of the EVA...unlike the Varicam, which would have to have a specificproject pay for it, I could buy the EVA (I seem to remember you gave your producer a bit of a heart attack when you spent a fair percentage of your budget on those Anamorphic beauties!)...anyway...I own a large collection of lenses and without a flexible or optional mounts, I'm looking at the UMP...a member on this forum shot a comparison between the UM 4.6K and theGh5..,they cut very well together, as will the Varcam LT if a get a couple of big projects funded....back to your film if I may,....I never saw anything but the trailer, which I loved...is it available on ITunes? I found every  aspect of the film stunning...acting, cinepatography....your Male lead and of course your directing..and writing...would love to see it if there's 

Çcpd 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Indeed you can!!!...I was going to go the route of the EVA...unlike the Varicam, which would have to have a specificproject pay for it, I could buy the EVA (I seem to remember you gave your producer a bit of a heart attack when you spent a fair percentage of your budget on those Anamorphic beauties!)...anyway...I own a large collection of lenses and without a flexible or optional mounts, I'm looking at the UMP...a member on this forum shot a comparison between the UM 4.6K and theGh5..,they cut very well together, as will the Varcam LT if a get a couple of big projects funded....back to your film if I may,....I never saw anything but the trailer, which I loved...is it available on ITunes? I found every  aspect of the film stunning...acting, cinepatography....your Male lead and of course your directing..and writing...would love to see it if there's 

Çcpd 

It is there, thanks for asking, Fritz!!  Mandorla can be found (in all its GH2+anamorphic glory, thanks to Andrew Reid and this community that sparked me to quit my day job and make the film) on iTunes worldwide, in English with subtitles in French, Spanish, Portuguese, and soon Italian and Chinese (thanks to friends of the film), and also on Amazon, Google Play, Microsoft, Orange in France, Sony in Spain, and Vimeo and VHX worldwide.

If you have a compelling story and a dream to make it into a film go out and do it. Camera, lenses, and microphones help, along with a good script and actors, supportive crew, and a producer who believes you when you say you have to spend most of the budget on lenses!

Mandorla-16x9-VHX-WEB-600.png

To anyone interested in the EVA but not the EF mount, Mitch Gross confirmed several times on DVXUser that the only mount the EVA will be released in, is EF mount...unrelated to the EVA but certainly pertinent to me, the UMP is 2000 cheaper, B&H sells a Cfast to SSD adapter for all my SSD media and I'm loving the footage out of the camera..a member on this forum did a comparison and the UMP & GH5 cut together beautifully...and it comes with 3 optional mounts...the PL being only $245 and a slightly more expensive B4 mount user swappable...the Nikon with aperture ring will release this summer...so goodbye EVA for me...I liked the name...but the EF mount not!...interesting how modular and flexible the UMP really is...sorry to get off topic!

18 hours ago, RobertoSF said:

It is there, thanks for asking, Fritz!!  Mandorla can be found (in all its GH2+anamorphic glory, thanks to Andrew Reid and this community that sparked me to quit my day job and make the film) on iTunes worldwide, in English with subtitles in French, Spanish, Portuguese, and soon Italian and Chinese (thanks to friends of the film), and also on Amazon, Google Play, Microsoft, Orange in France, Sony in Spain, and Vimeo and VHX worldwide.

If you have a compelling story and a dream to make it into a film go out and do it. Camera, lenses, and microphones help, along with a good script and actors, supportive crew, and a producer who believes you when you say you have to spend most of the budget on lenses!

Mandorla-16x9-VHX-WEB-600.png

Thanks much for the information Roberto...looking forward to seeing your film!!

On 6/3/2017 at 5:33 PM, Kisaha said:

@visionrouge All the reviews I have read the Sony lens is vastly inferior to the 18-80CN-E, is not a true cine lens (Cn-E ain't either, but at least it is close!) and has lesser servo mechanisms and features. In image quality and "cine" characteristics (focal breathing, par focalness) it is worst than the Fuji 18-55 and 50-135 ones, and Canon C200 will be out in a couple of months. FS7 and the lens is great for all around work, you are not going to miss much, but if I was going Sony, the Fuji lenses are excellent value for performance.

Well, maybe it's time to try it for real and not the review.

This is not the worst lens in the market at all. and for the price and range, it's fantastic.
The only downside is the lack of macro mode.

Let see when C200 + right codec will be out if it will be time to sell back my sony package FS7.
For now, Stabilization + range + servo zoom got me.
Yes it's electronicaly corrected and sometime a bit slower than real gear, but not a deal breaker and impossible to notice it on regular use.
The breathing is almost none. here is my review : http://www.visionrouge.net/web/2017/05/pxw_fs7_lens_kit_18118/

With the fuji, I will not have such range, and not able to get IS and not able to control it with servo on run and gun or conference situation...

8-bit for the internal 60p is pretty disappointing... I'm sure the image and overall package will be superior, but I was hoping for the internal specs to at least outdo the GH5. 

Have they said whether the SDI/HDMI output will be 10-bit in all recording modes? If so, pairing this guy with an Atomos Inferno or Odyssey 7Q+ would really unleash its potential.

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

False, nope, as nope I don't buy that for a second.

Okay, horses for courses as they say. I'm not a great judge anyway because to be honest, I think I like GH1/GH2 videos better than a lot of the newer stuff I've been seeing, so I just like a different aesthetic than most people on here. 

• Administrators
On 11/06/2017 at 9:10 PM, Zak Forsman said:

They drove right by my neighborhood along Beverly Blvd (keep an eye out for El Coyote on the left). Also their new campaign slogan, "$8K for 8-bit" is not very compelling. :)

Seems to work for Canon!