The wraps are off! Panasonic EVA1 compact cinema camera announced with Super 35 5.7K sensor and Dual Native ISO

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

It is a cool looking little camera. But it almost looks like they intentionally designed it to look like an FS5/C100 Panasonic.

"Well, the FS5 looks stylish with some pretty good specs and our glass kinda sucks... so why not combine the two and put Varicam on it."

A SLOW CLAP grows across the boardroom--

"Once again Mr. Sonic, you nailed it."

Sorry I started drinking early this evening...

13 hours ago, vas said:

[..]

He said there is internal stabilization on the sensor side.

Yeah, electronic that is. Probably not just some plain warp stabilizer, but perhaps actually a gyro and accelerometers to guide the processing a little better, but yeah, actual sensor stabilization that is not, expect some motion artifacts and such. Agreed with an earlier comment though, I didn't expect physical sensor stabilization either and do agree that it's not a must in these type of cameras.

Exciting camera though. I was indeed hoping for GH-users to get a natural upgrade path type of camera and indeed, this at sub-$5k with 'shittier' tech and MFT mount sounds amazeballs. Yeah, poor JVC. Basically giving you all that and getting no love... tough crowd we must be to them! But yeah, this does sound like an ARRI Alexa Mini for the less fortunate. Super dope! 43rumors mentioned some specs earlier and a pricetag of 6499. If that's true, then it's still super exciting... tho entering the segment where Canon, Sony and Blackmagic are already well established, might be tough to break into.

1 minute ago, mercer said:

Seriously though, these past few months have been great for the indie filmmaker. Gotta love competition!!!

They filmed it in sLog. 

Yeah, great cams! If the C200 only had 2K 12 bit Raw in that 3:1 dataratio.

Slog- looks like it! Haha! Out of likes again. Gotta get to sleep now. Good night, bud!

40 minutes ago, mercer said:

Idk, if I were a GH5 owner I think I'd be pretty damn happy right now... by the end of August's FW update, for more than half the price, you're getting the same 400mbps 10bit with 5-axis IBIS. 

IBIS cuts down on output resolution. At least with the EVA1, they have 5.7K to play with before downsampling, and the upcoming 5.7K RAW will let you use warp stabilizer in post without losing resolution (at the cost of better detail from less original to downsample FROM, of course).

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

It would have been nice if Panasonic had applied their 5 axis IBIS tech to the new, larger sensor but I think it's probably difficult to have a sensor bobbling around behind an ND filter wheel and remain cost effective. Also with the sensor moving around they could have well run out of image circle with EF-S and Super 35mm lenses, some are quite marginal at the edges of the sensor.

Most of the "micro jitters" and unnatural motion you get with a smaller camera body goes away when you fully rig up even a small cinema camera, so I don't see it as being as important a feature on a larger-bodied camera like this. 

Most union camera ops would laugh at the idea of using any image stabilizer because the behavior is too erratic and they'd rather just use a very balanced handheld rig or proper steadicam, but for wedding videographers and hobbyists I can see the appeal. I use OIS all the time, but I'm a hobbyist.

I still don't think IBIS is much of an omission, also for the reasons you mention.

The question is, what does the C200 lack that the C700 has and what does the EVA1 lack that the Varicam has? The answer is... not much. Even if you can only afford to rent one of these and a few light panels, you have all the tools you need to produce gorgeous content. The barrier to entry is shockingly low. I'm not sure if that's a good thing for aspiring DPs or not tbh.... Either the best or worst time to get into the market, depending on how you look at it.

5 minutes ago, tyger11 said:

IBIS cuts down on output resolution. At least with the EVA1, they have 5.7K to play with before downsampling, and the upcoming 5.7K RAW will let you use warp stabilizer in post without losing resolution (at the cost of better detail from less original to downsample FROM, of course).

Good point and downsampling to 4K will be beautiful for Netflix and future proofing. 

4 minutes ago, dbp said:

This camera sounds like a winner to me, especially if it ends up having the Varicam look. Love the size too!

I'll take two of these if it has the real Varicam (LT) look. That would be amazing.
If footage looks like shot with a GH5 (processed, homevideo like) I buy the C200 instead.

1 minute ago, deezid said:

I'll take two of these if it has the real Varicam (LT) look. That would be amazing.
If footage looks like shot with a GH5 (processed, homevideo like) I buy the C200 instead.

Yup, that's the major "if" at this point. I've learned not to trust paper specs. The proof is in the image. 

I think it looks better than a smartphone, but I do know what you mean. It's solid, just as the GH4 was solid, and many other cameras are pretty good at this point. It's a tier of image quality that's usable, but not high end. It's been done and it's hard to get overly excited about. 

I would not want to dump that kinda money on camera unless it really brought me closer to the high end, and was a noticeable improvement over the GH4/5 and A7S's of the world. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

If they were to do that I think it would be in a DSLR/Hybrid format. This won't eat into their Pro Camcorder sales, but a $4000 version would. 

I predict that JVC will add internal Raw to the LS300 and it will look and work amazingly, and no one will care. 

I was just thinking that about the Ls300, with raw 2k! That ish would be awesome!!! Yet most wouldn't care, what a shame. The JvCgyls300 is an awesome cinema camera able to produce great footage. Anyways the EVA looks like the clear winner to me when it comes to the C200. The sensor is based off of the Varicam, plus its 5.7k resolution???!!! Do you realize what can be achieved with this?  Have you seen recent Varicam LT footage??? It looks remarkable! The Netflix series Master of None, Frontier, Love and a couple more shows are shot with a Varicam. I'll be getting this and have my JVC doing B roll. 

1 hour ago, mercer said:

If they were to do that I think it would be in a DSLR/Hybrid format. This won't eat into their Pro Camcorder sales, but a $4000 version would. 

I predict that JVC will add internal Raw to the LS300 and it will look and work amazingly, and no one will care. 

I was just thinking that about the Ls300, with raw 2k! That ish would be awesome!!! Yet most wouldn't care, what a shame. The JvCgyls300 is an awesome cinema camera able to produce great footage. Anyways the EVA looks like the clear winner to me when it comes to the C200. The sensor is based off of the Varicam, plus its 5.7k resolution???!!! Do you realize what can be achieved with this?  Have you seen recent Varicam LT footage??? It looks remarkable! The Netflix series Master of None, Frontier, Love and a couple more shows are shot with a Varicam. I'll be getting this and have my JVC doing B roll. 

5 minutes ago, dbp said:

I think it looks better than a smartphone, but I do know what you mean. It's solid, just as the GH4 was solid, and many other cameras are pretty good at this point. It's a tier of image quality that's usable, but not high end. It's been done and it's hard to get overly excited about. 

I would not want to dump that kinda money on camera unless it really brought me closer to the high end, and was a noticeable improvement over the GH4/5 and A7S's of the world. 

Both the GH4 and GH5 need lot's of filtering (diffusion filters and post blur actually) so they don't look like cheap video anymore.
The Varicam on the other side looks amazing without any filtering. Like an ARRI Alexa.

9 minutes ago, dbp said:

Yup, that's the major "if" at this point. I've learned not to trust paper specs. The proof is in the image. 

11 minutes ago, deezid said:

Yes I believe it will be high end because Panasonic kept referring to the Varicam for footage when they spoke about features the EVA will have once they fine tune it. 

Just now, Alt Shoo said:

Yes I believe it will be high end because Panasonic kept referring to the Varicam for footage when they spoke about features the EVA will have once they fine tune it. 

Yh, that was quite promising.
Let's hope they don't add any of the "advanced" GH5 processing. lol