Best 24-70mm f/2.8 lens for 4k videography (price not an issue)?

Charles.

I am leaning towards the Tamron SP 24-70mm f/2.8 VC right now, however many people have complained about receiving "bad copies" which is scaring me away from it. I understand that there will always be the occasional bad copy from any manufacturer, however this seems to be a lot more prominent with Tamron's 24-70mm.  Many have stated that you need to be lucky or send the lens back multiple times before obtaining a good copy of Tamron's 24-70mm. It has been a few years since this lens has been released so I was just wondering if this issue has been fixed? Or if there is another 24-70mm lens that could be better for videography?

I am planning on shooting with the GH5 if that makes a difference.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

My personal favorite is the mkII version of the Sony 24-70/2.8 Zeiss, but I don't know what the adapter situation is like with A-mount lenses. If price isn't an issue though, the Canon mkII has outperformed the Tamron in tests and there are many good used copies floating around. I would go Canon before Tamron - even if buying new, plus it'll be easier to shift down the line if/when you decide to sell.

In the past Tamron would fix / recalibrate their lenses for free. I had a 28-75 done which improved it quite a bit. They also would optimise it for full frame or APS if you specified this. The only drawback on the Tamron that has put me off is the large front filter size. Any reason you are not interested in 'native' glass for your GH5?

I looked at the Tamron 24-70 2.8 for the E-mount but it has no IS and autofocus was apparently a little hit and miss. Of course it wouldn't work for the GH5, but the Sony 24-70 2.8 GM lens is an absolute beauty of a lens. Too big and heavy for the system, perhaps, but it's sharp across the zoom range and it has a really lovely smooth bokeh look at 2.8. I'd be curious to know how it stacks up against the Canon equivalent.

Canon is developing 24-70 f/2.8 IS, it's at prototype stage now and might be announced sometime next year.

Sigma 24-70 f/2.8 ART should be announced any time from now.

Among the available options, both Sony 24-70 f/2.8 GM and Canon 24-70 f/2.8L II are the best.

30 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

It makes a lot of sense for use on canon bodies, but would it make a difference over the ii version on a camera like gh5 with IBIS?

The two cannot be combined (EF lens IS + IBIS), generally EF lens IS works better than Panasonic's IBIS.

9 hours ago, kaylee said:

id like to know the answer to this too~! canon doesnt make that lens with IS, but sigma has one coming soon...

I assume you want it for the 5D3? I have the Canon 24-70mm f/4 for my 5D3. It has IS and with full frame you can still get some decent shallow depth with it. The IS is amazing on it. I bought it because of this video...

According to the creator, that was shot entirely handheld, with only a little warped stabilizer used in a couple shots.

I shot this with it wide open...

IMG_0984.JPG

So in full frame you can still get some shallow depth with it.

5 hours ago, Luke Mason said:

generally EF lens IS works better than Panasonic's IBIS.

This is for sure an overstatement...I don't have a GX85 or GH5 yet but i do have several Canon lenses (including 24-105 f4 IS) and IS on these is just for micro jitters and maybe some slow pans with the camera's strap forced against your neck. Better than GH5's IBIS? No, no this can't be true. In the shots above the guy used warp stabilizer, you must totally hate coffee to achieve shots like these with IS only, & beyond 70 mm it's impossible while Pana's IBIS have been proven effective at extreme focal lengths. 

9 minutes ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

This is for sure an overstatement...I don't have a GX85 or GH5 yet but i do have several Canon lenses (including 24-105 f4 IS) and IS on these is just for micro jitters and maybe some slow pans with the camera's strap forced against your neck. Better than GH5's IBIS? No, no this can't be true. In the shots above the guy used warp stabilizer, you must totally hate coffee to achieve shots like these with IS only, & beyond 70 mm it's impossible while Pana's IBIS have been proven effective at extreme focal lengths. 

Well he only warp stabilized a couple of his shots. To be fair. 

2 hours ago, Dimitris Stasinos said:

In the shots above the guy used warp stabilizer, you must totally hate coffee to achieve shots like these with IS only, & beyond 70 mm it's impossible while Pana's IBIS have been proven effective at extreme focal lengths. 

That's not true... You can shoot handheld with a 70-200 2.8 IS on a Super 35mm Canon C300 and get those results easily. A bigger heavier camera will help you a bit, but the IS on those lenses is incredible. 

• Administrators

If price is not an issue the Canon 24-70mm F2.8 II is the best.

Parfocal, weather sealed, ultra sharp, very cinematic 3D pop, very high contrast wide open, extremely fast AF on a Canon body for stills to boot.

The only reason even to consider the Tamron is the optical image stabilisation and price. You don't need the optical image stabilisation on the GH5.

20 hours ago, Shirozina said:

In the past Tamron would fix / recalibrate their lenses for free. I had a 28-75 done which improved it quite a bit. They also would optimise it for full frame or APS if you specified this. The only drawback on the Tamron that has put me off is the large front filter size. Any reason you are not interested in 'native' glass for your GH5?

I am planning on using the GH5 with a Metabones Speedbooster XL which is why I need a full frame Canon EF-mount.

3 hours ago, jonpais said:

Not sure why you've decided on this focal length, what it is you shoot, or why you'd want to lug all that weight around, but I'd go native - maybe the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8.

I find that 24 fits what I need for most landscape shots while the 70 fits what I need for most of the close up, I don't really mind the weight of it either. As for native lenses, I am planning on using the GH5 with the Metabones Speedbooster XL. 

13 hours ago, mercer said:

I assume you want it for the 5D3? I have the Canon 24-70mm f/4 for my 5D3. It has IS and with full frame you can still get some decent shallow depth with it. The IS is amazing on it. I bought it because of this video...

yeah, thanks mercer~! im debating right now between your lens and the 24-105 f/4 IS version 1 (although v2 isnt much more expensive...)

i would TOTALLY go for a lens with a wider aperture but I want IS for video... decisions, decisions! 

EDIT: also, @mercer i watched this video

at work and my coworker who knows nothing about cameras was walking by and he was like, "What are you doin, watchin a movie? That looks really cinematic" ~ swear to God