BEST BARGAIN 28mm F2.0 LENS! Kino, Kiron, Komine and Co

PannySVHS

Love the C/Y Zeiss, the 28/2.8 is something special, its not 2.0, but its awfully sharp at 2.8, and Zeiss glass usually has better transmission than others at the sam aperture. The Hollywood 28/2 is even better, but that comes at a cost. The Nikon is nice too, but you get the wonky focus rings the go the wrong way. Right now all my MF glass is C/Y, but I love the Zeiss look. Cheers

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

IMHO you can't go wrong with Canon FD 28 f2. Recently tested my manual lens collection. Among them several 28mm including Canon FD 28 f2. To my surprise it turned to be quite good. Sharp in the center from wide open, corner were also sharp from f2 and improve a little when stopping the lens.  And it is quite affordable compared to Zeiss 28 f2 "Hollywood" which is one of the other options.

But if you shoot full frame or s35 with Speed Booster, 28mm are used mostly for scenery. And in this case you usually stop it down to @f5.6 or even @f8.  One stop advantage over your current one doesn't matter.

Canon FD 28 f2 make sense if you use it without speed booster on s35. It becomes something like 42mm equivalent on full frame at f2.8. And this focal length makes much more sense when shooting people and was favorite of some well known DPs, Deakins among them. In this case you could use DOF creatively and f2 vs f2.8 is desirable advantage.  

1 hour ago, stephen said:

IMHO you can't go wrong with Canon FD 28 f2. Recently tested my manual lens collection. Among them several 28mm including Canon FD 28 f2. To my surprise it turned to be quite good. Sharp in the center from wide open, corner were also sharp from f2 and improve a little when stopping the lens.  And it is quite affordable compared to Zeiss 28 f2 "Hollywood" which is one of the other options.

But if you shoot full frame or s35 with Speed Booster, 28mm are used mostly for scenery. And in this case you usually stop it down to @f5.6 or even @f8.  One stop advantage over your current one doesn't matter.

Canon FD 28 f2 make sense if you use it without speed booster on s35. It becomes something like 42mm equivalent on full frame at f2.8. And this focal length makes much more sense when shooting people and was favorite of some well known DPs, Deakins among them. In this case you could use DOF creatively and f2 vs f2.8 is desirable advantage.  

Hallo Stephen, I´m using my lenses on s35, that is speed boosted m43. So having that f2 over f2.8 is indeed the desirable advantage I am looking for.

Looking out for a Canon FD 28 f2 now.

5 hours ago, tupp said:

Could you go for a 25mm, f1.4 lens, and just crop-in a little and stop down?

If so, consider the $50 APS-C lens reviewed here.

Great link and read. On m43 that lens would be more narrow than a 28mm on a focal reducer. C-mount wouldnt allow speed booster. I don´t know, if it would cover "native" s35mm.

Thank you for the article. It was a great read!

13 hours ago, Trek of Joy said:

Love the C/Y Zeiss, the 28/2.8 is something special, its not 2.0, but its awfully sharp at 2.8, and Zeiss glass usually has better transmission than others at the sam aperture. The Hollywood 28/2 is even better, but that comes at a cost. The Nikon is nice too, but you get the wonky focus rings the go the wrong way. Right now all my MF glass is C/Y, but I love the Zeiss look. Cheers

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pentax-Asahi-Opt-Co-SMC-1-2-28-Lense-/201935691383?hash=item2f044e1e77:g:654AAOSw5cRZJbVB

The "Hollywood" Pentax went through the roof again!

There was a revised Pentax M version, I missed on bidding, which is even supposed to be better:

http://www.ebay.de/itm/Pentax-M-28mm-f-2-manual-focus-lens-/272666168356?hash=item3f7c2b8c24%3Ag%3ArMcAAOSwKytZE1WS&nma=true&si=ksloQ3AY4H%2FmrNJTL3jOHqMZL%2FY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

This would have been the perfect 28mm luxury bargain, 250 USD only! :)

Does anybody have experience with this carnation of the Zeiss/ Pentax "Hollywood"?