The Canon C200 is here and its a bomb!

Mattias Burling

12 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

Get your credit card out. You can buy them that cheap quite often on ebay anymore. Past closed auctions last few months. Now with the DPAF in them they go for 1500 bucks or more. Not sure if Canon is still changing out the sensor for 500 bucks yet, but I was going to buy one cheap without it and save up the money and send it in later. Not as big as a hit money wise at one time.

They do have a Push AF button on the front of the body so it is not like you have no AF in one. Pretty much what I used on my Panny AF100A a lot of times.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=Canon+C100&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_udlo=&_sop=15&_sadis=15&_udhi=&_ex_kw=&_samihi=&_samilow=&_stpos=45056&_sargn=-1%26saslc%3D1&_salic=1&_in_kw=1&_dmd=1&_odkw=Canon+C100&_osacat=0&LH_Complete=1&_ipg=200

Well, I’d only want the updated DPAF version... and I’d rather it be closer to a grand than 1500... and even then... a C200B will probably start going on sale for 4-5 grand this time next year, so it would probably be smarter for me to save that money for that.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
11 hours ago, IronFilm said:

You can almost find a FS700 for that price. That is what I'm waiting for?

Yeah they do have some really nice Slo Mo. Although the colors are tricky in them even at normal speeds. But they are a Pro piece of kit as they say.

4K one on the ebay for 1350 bucks. Not too bad.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Sony-NEX-FS700U-Super-35-4K-Sensor-Camcorder-BODY-ONLY-4290-Hours-SKU-944762/232814511617?epid=159753749&hash=item3634d38601:g:RVoAAOSwrcdbK89d

12 hours ago, squig said:

It's the 1080p youtube compression, they should've uploaded 4k. I don't know how soft SLRmagic anamorphics are, but I shoot 5D Mk3 raw 2.8k with Iscorama anamorphics and it looks as sharp as you could ever want it to be for 2k DCP.

In google chrome i can view it in 4K.  I just don't see 4k here.  It looks like they softened the footage.  

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 11.24.17 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 11.23.14 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 11.22.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2018-06-30 at 11.29.11 AM.png

6 hours ago, DBounce said:

I think it’s the SLR Magic anamorphic primes they are using. IMO those lenses are garbage. They should have just rented some Cookes.

Well I will admit they probably are not the sharpest Anamorphic lens in the world, but then they are not $30,000.00 either.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1345518-REG/cooke_ckea_50_50mm_anamorphic_i_lens_t2_3.html?ap=y&gclid=Cj0KCQjw1NzZBRCoARIsAIaMwutPnboyNIUjIzodMiFLQFnogNc33hST5IWjlua1czni6hYXxmtfXkQaAlfaEALw_wcB&smp=y

SLR Magic 50mm Anamorphic is $6,000.00. Not that I can afford that either but.. At a Daily $350.00 to rent the Cooke 50mm I think I would just buy the SLR unless you are one heck of a fast film maker!

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1233201-REG/slr_magic_slr_ac50133pl_50mm_1_33x_anamorphot_cine_lens.html

And, and maybe, just maybe that wanted that look. I think it fits the movie fine to be honest.

I think, for the money, SLR Magic anamorphic lenses look fine. You get what you pay for, really, which in this case is acceptable. Renting nicer lenses for the cost of what you'd pay to own the SLR Magic ones, unless you're on a larger budget film, doesn't really make sense to me. If you're going to get enough use out of them, then buy them and then sell them in a couple years when you're (hopefully) in a better position. 

For real indie films, music videos, etc. it makes a ton of more sense vs. renting. 

On 6/29/2018 at 9:02 AM, HockeyFan12 said:

Am I the only one who prefers the C100's colors? (And thinks the +5 sharpening on the C200 looks terrible (like video)?)

C200 still looks great. Fwiw, I also prefer the C500's skin rendering to the Alexa's (see Shane Hurlbut's tests to get an idea what I mean). And the C200 looks like it's trying to be an Alexa-style camera in terms of look (just like the FS7), so no surprise. The C300 had darker skin tones, it exposed that color less brightly and more warm yellow less magenta.

Just wondering if I'm crazy. What do others think? I might have a bias. But the C100 color looks so much better to me at 3:30 and the sharpness is not night and day.

Deciding between these two for a shoot... well, maybe or maybe not. Just thinking about it now. I'm normally a 4k naysayer (I like soft, for me JFK and War of the Worlds–very soft looking images are my favorite, but I know that's passé, but I did think Black Panther was sharp enough despite the 2k DCP) but now I'm thinking why don't I try something new.

Have a look at this in-depth tutorial, there is the option under color matrix to select "Cinema EOS Original" to match the C200 with C300/C100 (around 13mn in):

Lot of cool little features in this cam.. i should be getting mine next week, stay tuned ?

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like later this month I'm flying down to the South Island for a film shot on the C200, will be my first time working on set with the C200.
Bit of a bummer though as the producer told me it was a C300mk2! But just found out today it is a C200, so no timecode input :-/

1 minute ago, IronFilm said:

Looks like later this month I'm flying down to the South Island for a film shot on the C200, will be my first time working on set with the C200.
Bit of a bummer though as the producer told me it was a C300mk2! But just found out today it is a C200, so no timecode input ?

Timecode in would have been nice, but you do have 4 audio channels, so you can always use one for timecode. 

6 hours ago, DBounce said:

Some rough edits from the C200 with the beta version of Resolve. This version works better than the last one, but still does some "weird" things. Adds black spaces between clips. Cuts sections out and resizes for not apparent reason. 

Wow that brought back some happy memories of my Sprint, and Enduro Kart racing! Fun times. Was a lot safer than my Motorcycle racing!!

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Indeed, that is of course what I proposed to them when I found out today. 
But it is something they need to check in with post about first, so there is no surprises. 

I'm a real audio noob, but is the tentacle system a viable option here? The last audio guy I worked with on set loved that setup as we were working with a lot of Sony Alpha cams.

2 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

I'm a real audio noob, but is the tentacle system a viable option here? The last audio guy I worked with on set loved that setup as we were working with a lot of Sony Alpha cams.

Yes, tentacle would work fine. But that said the pres on the C200 are pretty good. So unless you are using many inputs, or multiple cameras, you might run directly to camera if trying to keep things simple.

6 hours ago, Gregormannschaft said:

Yes it is. And like I said, this is why I'd recommend it. But it something you want to clear with production first before using it. 

4 hours ago, Niliyon439 said:

I want this
how much is it?

The C200 or a Tentacle Sync E? 
Either way...  google is your friend!

4 hours ago, DBounce said:

Yes, tentacle would work fine. But that said the pres on the C200 are pretty good. So unless you are using many inputs, or multiple cameras, you might run directly to camera if trying to keep things simple.

No.

Nope, nope, nope!

Not for when audio really matters and you've got someone dedicated to sound. 

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

No.

Nope, nope, nope!

Not for when audio really matters and you've got someone dedicated to sound. 

Somebody should tell the guy who hired you that the C200 has XLR inputs with good preamps and he can get by with just a boom operator... ?

On 3 de agosto de 2018 at 3:13 AM, IronFilm said:

Maybe they tried that last time and are why they're getting me now ?

Most probably they didn´t know how to record audio, that´s always the main issue with people who think the audio is recorded just pressing the start button, the pre-amp in the C100 are fantastic, I can always get a clear audio from ProTools, I am assuming the audio recording in the C200 is similar or better, I hope so, if you find out the pre-amps are crap, please lets us know in advance…..that will be really disappointing….