The Canon C200 is here and its a bomb!

Mattias Burling

Yeah I should note, working with prores or RAW definitly saves time in post. As if I would edit GH5 h265 files, it would not be a joy working in post . And in a professional enviroment every minute must be payed, so definitly a money saver in that perspective. And I dont really have that much free time anymore as I am juggling a baby around. So this workflow saves time for me and allows me to have more quality time with my family as well. You cannot put a pricetag on that, Time is the most valuable thing. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, zerocool22 said:

Yeah I should note, working with prores or RAW definitly saves time in post. As if I would edit GH5 h265 files, it would not be a joy working in post . And in a professional enviroment every minute must be payed, so definitly a money saver in that perspective. And I dont really have that much free time anymore as I am juggling a baby around. So this workflow saves time for me and allows me to have more quality time with my family as well. You cannot put a pricetag on that, Time is the most valuable thing. 

But RAW wouldn't save time right? You would have to edit with proxies and export with the original RAW files as far as I understand. 

And I even thought H265 was a better editing format?

17 hours ago, webrunner5 said:

You have to be making some good money, or be pretty serious to buy a C200 or a Eva1, FS7 mk II.

As tools of the trade go a C200 isn't expensive compared to the car or van you will drive around in. Relatively it's cheap. I bought a C300 in May 2012 for £12K which is almost double the price of a C200 today.

38 minutes ago, Gregormannschaft said:

But RAW wouldn't save time right? You would have to edit with proxies and export with the original RAW files as far as I understand. 

And I even thought H265 was a better editing format?

I never used proxys and I am running intel i5-4570k, 32GB RAM, gtx1080. about your average joe pc setup. I could do some speed test comparison vs prores. But probably someone already has and will tell you before I can test this.

Just stumbled across a spec for XF-AVC upgrade on the UK Canon Site ....

https://www.canon.co.uk/video-cameras/eos-c200/specifications/

Under video recording times SD card at 160Mbps ... assume it will be 8 bit.

I grabbed a clip in RAW and did a 30 second color edit in Resolve ....

213552999_C200RAWSampleUncorrected.thumb.jpg.589453c6d69fe91e41232fd4f1846cad.jpg1077057511_C200RAWSample1.thumb.jpg.511563c8ab411302a8c323ccba7c31f4.jpg

Love the color and the raw to Prores HQ is fast enough for me.

1 hour ago, docmoore said:

I grabbed a clip in RAW and did a 30 second color edit in Resolve ....

213552999_C200RAWSampleUncorrected.thumb.jpg.589453c6d69fe91e41232fd4f1846cad.jpg1077057511_C200RAWSample1.thumb.jpg.511563c8ab411302a8c323ccba7c31f4.jpg

Love the color and the raw to Prores HQ is fast enough for me.

You have a C200 too? You are the Canon poster boy. How do you like it? That’s my dream camera... I can’t wait until everybody on this forum is clamoring over 12K and I can afford a C200B.

10 minutes ago, mercer said:

You have a C200 too? You are the Canon poster boy. How do you like it? That’s my dream camera... I can’t wait until everybody on this forum is clamoring over 12K and I can afford a C200B.

Eat your heart out LoL. Sell all those MF lenses you have!

On 6/21/2018 at 10:56 AM, nigelbb said:

As tools of the trade go a C200 isn't expensive compared to the car or van you will drive around in. Relatively it's cheap. I bought a C300 in May 2012 for £12K which is almost double the price of a C200 today.

Saw one (C300) go for 1500 on ebay the other week. ?

I didn't particularly like how everything is put together (handle/monitor/mic and the excessive cables) and the touch screen needs some force, that destabilized the camera of the tripod (I used manual focus for the shooting, but I tried some touch AF and didn't like the results with the older L lenses) and as we shot 8bit HD, we could easily use a C100mkII for the job.

I am not still sold 100% on this camera. Too expensive for what it is (around 9000€ over here), and when I spoke a bit with the producer renting it, he told me "yes, but it does 50/60 frames", something we didn't use anyway! Go figure!!

1 hour ago, TwoScoops said:

Saw one (C300) go for 1500 on ebay the other week. ?

Was it a PL mount C300mk1? They go for an awful lot cheaper than the EF version, as the EF versions seem to still have quite inflated prices (you could buy both a FS700 and a F3 for the same amount!)

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

and as we shot 8bit HD, we could easily use a C100mkII for the job.

I am not still sold 100% on this camera. Too expensive for what it is (around 9000€ over here), and when I spoke a bit with the producer renting it, he told me "yes, but it does 50/60 frames", something we didn't use anyway! Go figure!!

Yeah the C100mk2 does 60fps as well!

10 hours ago, mercer said:

No but I am thinking of divesting my last Leica RF and a couple of lenses, moving from the 5D4 to a dedicated C series camera. I love the Leica but it has seen little light

for a couple of months ... and the 5D4 is very good but pales in comparison with the C100II C300II or C200. 

I have learned that having a lot of money tied up in equipment that I might use if I found the time is unrewarding. So I sold off my medium format gear, most of my 

full frame rangefinder stuff and this would be the completion of that move.

Prefer a camera that I can run with ... without a lot of rigging most of the time. 

The clips were downloaded from an online posting ... just playing with the raw to see if it is workable. Had a RED One and RED Epic a number of years ago ... loved

the RED raw but the cameras entailed to much stuff for me.

All I can say is that Arri is out of my price range and no one else comes close to Canon color. So color, light and motion depict reality which is pretty much what a

wildlife and landscape photo/video shooter tries to portray ... at least that is my goal. So Canon it is ... for video ... stills ... give me Hasselblad or the newest Nikon 810 850

sensors or the Leica S or SL.

C200B is somewhat crippled without the EVF and no LCD ... makes it kinda big with an add-on external screen ... and by the time you add handle and screen you are

very close to the C200. Although a small Zacuto Gratical Eye might be workable.

I will rent the C200 this week to see if it is as useable as the C100Mk2 I have used in the past.

3 minutes ago, mercer said:

Yeah, in that instance the C200 didn’t really make sense for your needs. Honestly, I don’t know why anyone would use the C200 unless they were planning on shooting RawLite.

Yes CRL gives you a lot of options ... even with HD ... conversion to Prores HQ and rendering as HD ... with the ability to stabilize and crop if needed ... would cover everything from HD120FPS to 4K 12 bit.

As I have not production pressure ... time is not an issue so conversion and rendering is not a drawback.

Now just what spec the 160Mbps XF-AVC is will determine how attractive the camera is to many. Assume it is 8 bit but hope they at least give us 4:2:2.

13 hours ago, docmoore said:

Is this in a new update that is coming? I never shoot anything but CWL, but if it is good quality I might give it a shot.

It seems to be ... there are notes that say it will require a firmware update in their specs but this is the first time the Mbps has

been mentioned. Time will tell if Matthew Allard is correct with his 2 month old note on the upcoming XF-AVC but I suspect that he 

will be correct. 

Would appeal to a much broader base if it had the minimum broadcast standard as a middle codec ... since the C300 Mk III seems to be imminent

protecting it is nothing if not classic Canon.

This update on the C200 is from April but suggests the firmware has the XF-AVC now.

http://www.4kshooters.net/2018/04/12/canon-firmware-update-for-c300-mark-ii-c200-c700-and-xf400-405/

8bit 4:2:0

Newer FW release of 6/20/2018 here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/cinema-eos/eos-c200/eos-c200?subtab=downloads-firmware

Not sure if anyone has upgraded ...

1 hour ago, docmoore said:

This update on the C200 is from April but suggests the firmware has the XF-AVC now.

http://www.4kshooters.net/2018/04/12/canon-firmware-update-for-c300-mark-ii-c200-c700-and-xf400-405/

8bit 4:2:0

Newer FW release of 6/20/2018 here:

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support/details/cameras/cinema-eos/eos-c200/eos-c200?subtab=downloads-firmware

Not sure if anyone has upgraded ...

I’ll be updating soon. Will shoot some test footage and grade to see how it works out.