Some random thoughts, just throwing it out there

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
37 minutes ago, mercer said:

Thanks, I've always been curious about them but since I usually use vintage lenses, wide open, it was never too major of a concern.

I only use the low strength ones too. A 1/8 or 1/4 as needed. Sometimes i stack a black pro mist along with an ultra con too, especially on a super sharp sigma art lens or something like that.

i'm still not getting the fizz from gh5 footage. Occasionally looks very plastic and videoey.  Which is a bummer because I bought the gx85 and a lens or 2 with a view to selling it and getting the gh5.  which leaves me waiting for the next generation of nikon and sony to choose between. 

4 hours ago, Jn- said:

It has reports of overheating, thats my point.  Until there's clarification on this issue i'd be wary of using it in any sort of critical situation.  Reliability is an oft overlooked aspect of cameras, imho it's just as important as all of the whizz bang latest and greatest features. 

Ehhh, most make it out to be a much bigger deal than it really is. I've seen tons of posts about how an a6300 "melts" if you try to shoot 4k with it, I had one, got a few temp warnings but it certainly never melted. When not traveling my home base is in south Florida and shoot in the sun almost every day. The A7rII had some overheating issues and they were quickly solved via a FW update. I had that cam from day one, never overheated on me once - even when spending a full day shooting Indy and various motorcycle races at Daytona. If its an issue with the A9, it'll get zapped even faster since Sony is going upmarket.

IBIS and full readout 4k on a big sensor means heat, there's no way around that. There are plenty of options if you're wary. If you want the big sensor and 4k there are few options. Cheers.

On ‎30‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:53 PM, Jn- said:

Reports of overheating issues.

Actually it is more like zillions of quotes of ONE just MAYBE overheating issue when someone got the first of TWO warnings the camera is getting hot..

The camera may well get hot after a prolonged use but so far it seems the vast majority of those who have it are very happy.

Our A7S II just overheated and shut down when filming a live event (tripod and AC power), after recording continuously for ~1.5 hrs (sub 30 min segments). Ambient temp was around 74F. A C100/C200/C300 or FS5/FS7 (even a GH4/GH5) would have worked better in this situation. From our available cameras, it was the best size, file size, low light and look. Now that I know it overheats it won't get used this way again.

10 hours ago, jcs said:

Our A7S II just overheated and shut down when filming a live event (tripod and AC power), after recording continuously for ~1.5 hrs (sub 30 min segments). Ambient temp was around 74F. A C100/C200/C300 or FS5/FS7 (even a GH4/GH5) would have worked better in this situation. From our available cameras, it was the best size, file size, low light and look. Now that I know it overheats it won't get used this way again.

I would think this is exactly @Jn-'s point....

2 hours ago, Thpriest said:

Andrew, what is it you dislike about the GH5? I mean do you prefer other cameras for general video shooting, walk about photo camera...?

its pretty hard for me to dislike my Gh5- i mostly use the old 12-35, 35-100 and voigtlander 25. i shoot wide open most of the time with the 12-35 and 35-100. Results are great.

High contrast shot- click into vlog, slo mo- one click and your there. need more reach- click on the etc mode. 

IS is pretty good on native lenses and ok on non native- handheld work is pretty damn good.

i shoot a lot of corporates, CEO s , council mayors, finished building projects, health department comms, a few weddings, sports events. But also shoot for love- pick up and play on GH5 is so easy.

Downsides- its small so i have to rig it with a mattebox and top handle/ cage for high end corporates to keep the suits happy.

battery life is a lot shorter than gh4.

all up its an epic offering

20 hours ago, jcs said:

I use NX cameras for recording live performances, for a couple of years now, I hope my "luck" won't stop any time soon. I am looking right now at a live performance we did a few days ago, and I have a 60 and 50minutes files (and a few smaller ones). I usually have 4-5 files on 3 hours performances, and I cut just to be sure (for people not familiar with NX1/NX500 there is a 73min limit, and NX300 unlimited).

Today I had a meeting about a shooting we have in the weekend. There was a friend with an a6300, he also has the A7Sii, and last year we had a heated (no pun indented) conversation about how the small Sony could cope with the hot Mediterranean conditions that we have for 6-8 months per year. Last year he defended the camera, but today he told me that he wants to throw it away. The camera is shutting down, AFTER the firmware update, and in 1080p, he lost something critical once ( I do not know the details, and I wouldn't like to be the "I told you so" guy), and now he is trying not to use it that much, or at all. He also mentioned batteries and ergonomics. Now it is 3 out of 3 from people I know .

From my perspective, this camera has overheating issues. 

The way Fuji faced this issue for this similar sensor, is more straightforward and honest in my opinion. And Panasonic made a huge m43 camera (while small size was a huge advantage of the system until now) to overcome heat issues (it is well documented in many interviews). Sony just changed the threshold of the sensor..

18 hours ago, Matt Holder said:

its pretty hard for me to dislike my Gh5- i mostly use the old 12-35, 35-100 and voigtlander 25. i shoot wide open most of the time with the 12-35 and 35-100. Results are great.

High contrast shot- click into vlog, slo mo- one click and your there. need more reach- click on the etc mode. 

IS is pretty good on native lenses and ok on non native- handheld work is pretty damn good.

i shoot a lot of corporates, CEO s , council mayors, finished building projects, health department comms, a few weddings, sports events. But also shoot for love- pick up and play on GH5 is so easy.

Downsides- its small so i have to rig it with a mattebox and top handle/ cage for high end corporates to keep the suits happy.

battery life is a lot shorter than gh4.

all up its an epic offering

For some number comparisons, 2:20 4k 10bit recording GH5 vs 3hrs GH4 (or 4 hours FHD). 

Yup, loving it. I find the L12-60 is particularly versatile even in low light situations that would have really tied the GH4 up. And the ability to go straight to photos in those situations is so very handy.

My only exp with the Sony is the rx100 range. Such a fantastic awesome little camera, love using it! - but video overheating, ouch.