Some random thoughts, just throwing it out there

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

GH5 - I've been thinking of whether I even like the GH5. Hate the feel of the body compared to the E-M1 II. The dials are so cheap and nasty. Yes 10bit colour and slow-mo nice to have but apart from that, I'm not sure I like it better. The E-M1 II's stabilisation is better too. This might be controversial! But honestly I've been picking up the Olympus more.

RX1 II full frame compact - this is the best ever 'small camera' for stills. Video quality is as per A7R II minus 4K. That means very good 1080p. But mainly this is a good stills camera, with very fast AF and wonderful 35mm F2.0 Zeiss lens that goes in your pocket. Unique, can't think of anything that can replace it for the size. Everything similar is APS-C, not full frame.

RX10 III super zoom 1" with 4K - has a longer and much sharper lens than the II. However I hate using it. Fiddly and rather slow. This had me thinking, if I want a F2.4-F4 zoom lens, rather than use the Sony, why not have a nice 12-100mm F2.4-F4 lens on the E-M1 II (24-200mm). Don't need 600mm, 200 is enough for me even for travels. Problem is such a lens does not exist and the Olympus Pro 12-100 F4 is massively overpriced. Oh but the Unicorn Lens does exist... Canon 18-135mm EF-S zoom turns into a 13-96mm F2.5-F3.9 on the Speed Booster Ultra for Micro Four Thirds! Close enough for me and much less than 1299! So a big thumbs down to the best super zoom camera on the market and the best Micro Four Thirds long zoom.... Avoid both and use the SB + E M1 II + Canon lens instead.

A7S II and XT-2 - I don't like the fact the bodies got heavier and clunkier to handle than the predecessors. Check the dials on the A7S vs A7S II and weep. A7S II is my best performing full frame camera for video (1D X II is 1.3x crop) and yet the number of times I have ended up leaving it on the shelf because of the crappy AF and crappy body design. Upsetting! X-T2 gets almost no use either. Just something about it I find soulless. X-Pro 2 better for stills. X-T2 of course better for video but you may as well get the Samsung NX1, it's more fun.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I know what you mean about the a7sii. After buying the GX80 a few months ago, I even forgot how to use the Sony. But I went out and about with it at the weekend, using only manual focus and the 55 f1.8 - shooting everything wide open - and fell in love again. I was hunting for specific shots, so everything was controlled, but to have that subject isolation popping sharply was a joy to see again.

I'll just be using the GX80 for street run and gunning (my original intention) but got carried away with the ease of use over the Sony.

If I had money to burn I'd get the GH5 but have a nagging suspicion that I would only really use it for 4k 60p and little else.

Yeah, the Oly has some special mojo for me too. 

I'm shooting the GH5 right now, but it's because I need 4K 60p for a specific client. 

Nice camera. Does things in a practical way. No nonsense, but also no big whoop.  Doesn't excite me when it's in my hands.

--Looking forward to Olys next EM5. whenever that happens I'll be back and I'm pretty sure that will be my personal documentary rig (and photo cam)  for a good long time. 

• Administrators

No sooner had I started to enjoy the 18-135mm EF-S on Metabones, did it break.

Latest firmware update V2.70 stops AF from working.

Does anybody have the V2.40 metabones software DMG for Mac? Or Windows for that matter.

Metabones probably missed this because the EF-S lenses don't usually fit on the adapter at all - you have to pop the rear cap off the 18-135mm housing, then you can use it.

I want my 12-100 F2.5-F4 back!!

EDIT: Got it working, there is option to downgrade to V2.60 in the Metabones app, and that seemed to bring AF on the 18-135mm back to life.

4 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

GH5 - I've been thinking of whether I even like the GH5. Hate the feel of the body compared to the E-M1 II. The dials are so cheap and nasty. Yes 10bit colour and slow-mo nice to have but apart from that, I'm not sure I like it better. The E-M1 II's stabilisation is better too. This might be controversial! But honestly I've been picking up the Olympus more.

RX1 II full frame compact - this is the best ever 'small camera' for stills. Video quality is as per A7R II minus 4K. That means very good 1080p. But mainly this is a good stills camera, with very fast AF and wonderful 35mm F2.0 Zeiss lens that goes in your pocket. Unique, can't think of anything that can replace it for the size. Everything similar is APS-C, not full frame.

RX10 III super zoom 1" with 4K - has a longer and much sharper lens than the II. However I hate using it. Fiddly and rather slow. This had me thinking, if I want a F2.4-F4 zoom lens, rather than use the Sony, why not have a nice 12-100mm F2.4-F4 lens on the E-M1 II (24-200mm). Don't need 600mm, 200 is enough for me even for travels. Problem is such a lens does not exist and the Olympus Pro 12-100 F4 is massively overpriced. Oh but the Unicorn Lens does exist... Canon 18-135mm EF-S zoom turns into a 13-96mm F2.5-F3.9 on the Speed Booster Ultra for Micro Four Thirds! Close enough for me and much less than 1299! So a big thumbs down to the best super zoom camera on the market and the best Micro Four Thirds long zoom.... Avoid both and use the SB + E M1 II + Canon lens instead.

A7S II and XT-2 - I don't like the fact the bodies got heavier and clunkier to handle than the predecessors. Check the dials on the A7S vs A7S II and weep. A7S II is my best performing full frame camera for video (1D X II is 1.3x crop) and yet the number of times I have ended up leaving it on the shelf because of the crappy AF and crappy body design. Upsetting! X-T2 gets almost no use either. Just something about it I find soulless. X-Pro 2 better for stills. X-T2 of course better for video but you may as well get the Samsung NX1, it's more fun.

Hey Andrew, regarding your last sentence, have to pick between sony a7s 2 and 1dx mark2 somewhere in the near future and since u have them both which one do u recommend in terms of image quality?

i currently have a samsung nx1 and after i bought your guide and got out there shooting a lot i am pretty much happy. Only if the camera would deliver the same quality in 1080p as in 4k in terms of iq. Anyways, i have to move up a bit since i'll need a system for more serious work like producing branded content and i have to decide for a gear system.

Shall i go for canon 1dx mark2 since it feels like an upgrade from samsung nx1? both are nice for their capability of hybrid between photos and videos. Also the colors would be pretty much the same. And the ability to shoot 4k up to 60p would solve my issues with nx1. what do you say? thanks a lot.

• Administrators

They are close for image quality, not much point pixel peeping them really... in some situations Sony wins and in some situations 1DX II. Obviously low light is a bit better on the A7S II and you don't have a 1.3x crop to contend with in 4K. The 1080p is far superior on the Sony by the way.

The bigger differences are ergonomics, body size, body cost, lens support, and especially autofocus (which absolutely sucks on the A7S II).

Maybe wait for the A7S Mark 3, it is probably not too far off.

Of course the 1D X II is an upgrade from the NX1 but in some ways a downgrade... no articulated screen or EVF, much heavier and bulkier, 5x more expensive.

10 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

They are close for image quality, not much point pixel peeping them really... in some situations Sony wins and in some situations 1DX II. Obviously low light is a bit better on the A7S II and you don't have a 1.3x crop to contend with in 4K. The 1080p is far superior on the Sony by the way.

The bigger differences are ergonomics, body size, body cost, lens support, and especially autofocus (which absolutely sucks on the A7S II).

Maybe wait for the A7S Mark 3, it is probably not too far off.

Of course the 1D X II is an upgrade from the NX1 but in some ways a downgrade... no articulated screen or EVF, much heavier and bulkier, 5x more expensive.

thanks a lot for the quick reply. It is a struggle to pick a camera now. I would wait for the a7s 3 but it will be out towards the end of the year most probably, can't wait so long. i really hate the samsung guys for not pursuing the nx1 further on. Samsung nx2 would have been a no brainer to pick.

10 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Hahaha. It's one of those Soliloquy thoughts of yours, Andrew. You should leave those outside the realm of your great blog (or posts here). 

Because the whole world is bipolar, we must not commit anything (by word or otherwise), when we are too happy or too sad (or have a sudden change of heart).

Regardless, I guess such posts outline the fact that were all human, at the end of the day, and, that, great bloggers, too, have their confused human moments. 

Have a great mid-week :-)

Sony always seems to elicit the "great IQ, hate the shooting experience" posts, and I'm no different. But after tinkering with an A9, Sony finally got it right IMO - the stuff that needs dials is there, the record button is fixed, body egos are better, AF is next level amazing, IBIS is much improved over the A7mk2's and so on. When it trickles down to the A7s3/A7r3/A73, it will be very tough to choose m43 or Fuji over Sony. If the A9 were priced at the A7rII intro price of about $3200, I would have two right now and be back in the Sony camp.

I actually was expecting to buy a gh5 (been using a7ii,gx80,bmmcc) but a em1 mark ii was available at £1200 open box so i thought id give it a go, i was expecting to sell it on after a couple of weeks and get the gh5. However I am really happy with the image for stills and video, the colour is really nice for me and thats the main reason im going to keep it over a gh5. Ill miss the slo-mo (which i hardly use) 

In fact im so happy with this camera that not only am i not getting a gh5, I have sold my a7ii, gx80 and bmmcc !! ... Ill have some spare cash for a couple of nice lenses too.

I havnt got footage to show just yet as im editing a short shot on the bmmcc.

For the record i love the image from the bmmcc but rigged up on a shoulder rig with screen i got stopped a couple of times by kazakh (yes was filming in -25c Kazakhstan) police, and had to convince them i was just a crazy tourist. So the dslr form factor with stabalisation would be a big advantage to me too. Thats also the reason i am not too interested in Panasonics or canons new cinema cameras 

In an amateur/hobbyist context I think the balance between the fun/convenience of using a camera and the quality of the "product" is an oft neglected debate. Arguably, for some, the "hobby" is at its best when it is fun to do it - in that sense the result isn't even that important. 

I don't enjoy the process with either the A7S or the rx1004 irrespective of the decent output. BM on the other hand is something I find great fun in its sheer simplicity.

Of course, if the bread on the table depends on the output this perspective is irrelevant.

3 hours ago, Robin Billingham said:

I actually was expecting to buy a gh5 (been using a7ii,gx80,bmmcc) but a em1 mark ii was available at £1200 open box so i thought id give it a go, i was expecting to sell it on after a couple of weeks and get the gh5. However I am really happy with the image for stills and video, the colour is really nice for me and thats the main reason im going to keep it over a gh5. Ill miss the slo-mo (which i hardly use) 

In fact im so happy with this camera that not only am i not getting a gh5, I have sold my a7ii, gx80 and bmmcc !! ... Ill have some spare cash for a couple of nice lenses too.

I havnt got footage to show just yet as im editing a short shot on the bmmcc.

For the record i love the image from the bmmcc but rigged up on a shoulder rig with screen i got stopped a couple of times by kazakh (yes was filming in -25c Kazakhstan) police, and had to convince them i was just a crazy tourist. So the dslr form factor with stabalisation would be a big advantage to me too. Thats also the reason i am not too interested in Panasonics or canons new cinema cameras 

How's the 1080p? I briefly had the FZ2500 and although I enjoyed the quality of the 200mbps All-I 1080p, I just didn't love messing with Panasonic color. I have seen a lot of 4K footage from the em1mk2 and it's so organic, but I haven't seen much in 1080p.

2 hours ago, mercer said:

How's the 1080p? I briefly had the FZ2500 and although I enjoyed the quality of the 200mbps All-I 1080p, I just didn't love messing with Panasonic color. I have seen a lot of 4K footage from the em1mk2 and it's so organic, but I haven't seen much in 1080p.

I have yet try it in 1080. I will have a little play and let you know. Im hoping the 1080 50/60 fps is good for a little slomo.

I have found the image to look really good with only minor tweeks. I use the flat profile and mostly canon fd lenses on a speed booster. I also am a fan of black pro mist and ultra contrast filters, rather than reducing any more contrast in camera. Then with just a little contrast and saturation in post it is already looking good. 

Im not the most experienced colour grader and rely on good luts for my bmmcc footage so this is a bonus for we while i improve my skills 

14 minutes ago, Robin Billingham said:

I have yet try it in 1080. I will have a little play and let you know. Im hoping the 1080 50/60 fps is good for a little slomo.

I have found the image to look really good with only minor tweeks. I use the flat profile and mostly canon fd lenses on a speed booster. I also am a fan of black pro mist and ultra contrast filters, rather than reducing any more contrast in camera. Then with just a little contrast and saturation in post it is already looking good. 

Im not the most experienced colour grader and rely on good luts for my bmmcc footage so this is a bonus for we while i improve my skills 

Thanks, please report back if you do the tests. I have read that the Cinema 4K is the real winner on the e-m1 Mark II but the e-m5 Mark ii had nice 1080p at 77mbps, so I can only assume at 202mbps the e-m1 2 is a lot better. I have also read that the IBIS is mindblowingly good, with some stating when used with one of the two OIS lenses, it could replace a gimbal for short shots.

I have my 5D3, so I am in no rush to go out and buy anything, but I would love to have a near pocketable cam that can go anywhere without the need for any support.

Right now it looks like the GX85 or the G85 is the biggest bang for the buck but I don't mind spending more to get a steadier shot and better color and I'd rather shoot in high bitrate 1080p than low bitrate 4K... if I can.

BTW, I've never used any low con filters... can they be used with variable NDs?