Premiere Pro CS6 - Playback Stutter

pietz

Hey guys,

i usually love working with premiere. i think this program really evolved over the past years and is pretty brilliant in the latest version. however on my new hackintosh i run into serious performance problems when looking through footage. the footage of my GH2 (wrapped to a .mov container) stutters so badly in my preview window that its impossible to work with.

i have a plenty fast i7-3770k, geforce 650 ti and 8GBs of ram, but the video playback still stutters. it even stutters in my timeline when the clips are marked yellow, which usually means that premiere is able to play it somewhat smoothly. i even enabled mercury GPU acceleration for my graphics card, but that didnt help a bit.

it also very often shows "media pending" for a second or two, which is weird since i loaded the entire footage on my SSD with 500MB/s read speeds.

i installed fcpx just for kicks and everything is perfectly smooth.

i never had this trouble with premiere on windows on my older machine. is somebody experiencing similar problems or can maybe help with mine?

thanks a ton

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey guys,

i usually love working with premiere. i think this program really evolved over the past years and is pretty brilliant in the latest version. however on my new hackintosh i run into serious performance problems when looking through footage. the footage of my GH2 (wrapped to a .mov container) stutters so badly in my preview window that its impossible to work with.

i have a plenty fast i7-3770k, geforce 650 ti and 8GBs of ram, but the video playback still stutters. it even stutters in my timeline when the clips are marked yellow, which usually means that premiere is able to play it somewhat smoothly. i even enabled mercury GPU acceleration for my graphics card, but that didnt help a bit.

it also very often shows "media pending" for a second or two, which is weird since i loaded the entire footage on my SSD with 500MB/s read speeds.

i installed fcpx just for kicks and everything is perfectly smooth.

i never had this trouble with premiere on windows on my older machine. is somebody experiencing similar problems or can maybe help with mine?

thanks a ton

Are you dropping your footage into a new sequence, or creating a sequence prior to dropping in your footage?

• 2 weeks later...

what fixed the problem was simply not rewrapping the files to MOV and just using the original MTS files. i though i would help the performance by using MOV instead, but what happend was the opposite.

@AKH

i didnt try your way, but i guess that you may be right with your idea. could you explain why Premiere struggles with MOV files on OSX?

I don't think this issue is particular to one OS.

Premiere doesn't always make the right decisions when it comes to decoding .mov files.  Best performance is usually achieved when Premiere uses its internal codecs to decode, but with some .mov files Premiere decides (wrongly) it cannot decode the file internally and falls back to using Quicktime for decoding duties.  Changing the extension of the file forces Premiere to try it's internal codecs.

I experienced bad stuttering with Nikon .mov files.  Simply changing the extension to .mpg resulted in no more stuttering. The work-around solution came from Creative Cow.

• Administrators

Simply changing the extension to .mpg resulted in no more stuttering. The work-around solution came from Creative Cow.

That would be interesting to try with 1D C footage. Stutters in Premiere but fine in FCPX or when converted to Prores.

as i said i thought it would improve performance since MOV files were invented by apple (i hope thats not wrong) and MTS as a little weird to play with. also preview doesnt support MTS files for playback which is a bummer.

and as i also said: im on cs6 and i still got the stutter bug with MOV files. as for my testings the "bug" is still there.

• 2 months later...

I have switched to CS6 from FCPX in recent weeks and I am generaly pleased. I however also developed a stuttering with the 50mb mov files from my GH3. (I have a CUDA enabled GTX 660, 3770k, 16 gb RAM, ssd, raid for scratch disks, etc.)

I wish the renaming to mpg would have worked but it did not. Transcoding to 442 via MPEG Streamclip has been my fix. Downside is the resulting larger files.

Curious that others have no troubles with their GH3 files. Leaves me scratching my head...

• 6 months later...

I had a nightmare of a problem last night with stuttering footage on pans and dolly shots in premiere pro cs6. The culprit after about an hour of trial and error export settings, filters removed, etc, etc: footage speed. That is, at some point the client asked if I could speed up the entire video by 20% so I selected all the clips, right clicked, and chose speed duration and entered 120%. 

When I set the footage back to 100%, the footage was no longer stuttering in playback preview nor in the final export.

Just throwing it out there in case anyone else is struggling.

keywords: stuttering, jittery, choppy, premiere pro