Would You Perhaps Be Interested In A Different GX80/85 Colour Profile???

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members

OK...if you have an LX100 Mark 2 or know someone who does then I've just made this new file that it would be useful if you could try out.

There are 2 new commands there 

1. 709Like colour profile
  2. 50P 100mbps video format

Usual routine, open it in a browser, connect the camera over wifi and select Handshake and then Connect and try the commands.

While you are in there, re-checking the cinelike D command is obviously also worth a look.

If you have a Leica D-Lux 7 (which shares the same new processor as the LX100 Mark 2) then this might be of interest to you as well. If you have one, let me know, as the file will have to be structured slightly differently.

LX100 MARK 2 TESTER.html

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Артем Асеев said:

Are the additional bitrates appearing in the actual in camera menus themselves by switching to the ED modes (as it does with the FZ2000 tests from a while ago) so you can select them from there because I can't see the specific rates being set in that html file ?

• Super Members

205209090_justwhen.jpg.c3e29301c991721d2d6b623cd58926ba.jpg

OK, so I'm not massively keen to get too involved in this at all while I've got so much other stuff going on but.....

Just having a look at this with my GX80 and you can forget the 709Like colour profile but something is going on with that higher bitrate command switching it into the extended mode.

I thought that people had exhausted all of the permutations but if you do use that FZ2000 command that puts it into the editable formats mode ([MP4 (LPCM)] as Panasonic refer to it) then something does happen on the GX80.

Namely, it displays the codec on the rear screen as being FHD50P but as AVCHD rather than MP4.

It also blanks out the other recording options in the menu (though it does display it at 28Mbps) until you switch to and from MP4 and when you try and record then sometimes it will and sometimes it won't or stops quite quickly. If it does record properly though, it puts the file in the AVCHD collection file.

For the GX80, I don't think this is a rabbit hole that is particularly worth going too deeply down (and I certainly won't be) but for anyone who does want to then you may (though probably may not) find something using a combination of 

http://192.168.54.1/cam.cgi?mode=setsetting&type=videoformat&value=mp4ed

to place it into what would be the MP4 LPCM mode and then using variations on this command

http://192.168.54.1/cam.cgi?mode=setsetting&type=videoquality&value=mov_50p_100mbps 

changing the value of "mov_50p_100mbps" for those of different formats extracted from previous capture sessions of the GH5 etc on previous pages.

If your menus for the formats disappear then you can get back to them with a "safe" command of a valid format by sending this :

http://192.168.54.1/cam.cgi?mode=setsetting&type=videoquality&value=mp4_24p_100mbps_4k

As I say, I don't think there is much mileage for the GX80 so its not something I'm going to be spending any time on myself but based on the change of sensor in the GX9 offering newer possibilities then I definitely think that anyone with an LX100 Mark 2 might well benefit from a bit of digging with this.

Maybe a bit too much to ask, but do you think that this could bring all those "lost" video modes from the GH5 to the G9 @BTM_Pix? I understand that the capabilities of the GX80 might be limited, but the G9 could be a different beast? Since I own it, I would love to have the GH5 modes ;)

• Super Members
17 minutes ago, jase said:

Maybe a bit too much to ask, but do you think that this could bring all those "lost" video modes from the GH5 to the G9 @BTM_Pix? I understand that the capabilities of the GX80 might be limited, but the G9 could be a different beast? Since I own it, I would love to have the GH5 modes ;)

Do you have an Android device ?

• Super Members

OK for @jase or anyone else who wants to prod about in a bit more of a structured manner on their Lumix device, I have just knocked up this rough and ready Lumix Video Format Explorer app for Android.

Screenshot_20190812-225020.thumb.png.fa67b8ccaa632aae1649d8f3f7fc5f70.png

Usual story, attach your camera to your device over wifi and then open the app and hit the CONNECT button and your camera should clear its wifi screen and show that it is under remote control.

If you want to see if the 709Like profile works on your camera then just hit the 709Like button and see what happens. Certainly does nothing on the GX80 but it seems to on the GX9 so its worth a go on similar later cameras.

The next 4 buttons switch the video format of the camera and the MP4ED appears to populate the GX9 with additional options but again, nothing on the GX80.

Next up, we have the SELECT FORMAT button. When you press that, you get this list (which scrolls to several pages).

Screenshot_20190812-225037.thumb.png.938d2295c3c88eb6e215dd12f4902750.png

This is the list of every format returned from a probe of the GH5 so select the one you want to try and it will return you to the main screen with that one now shown in the blue banner beneath the SELECT FORMAT and SEND button.

Obviously to send the currently selected recording format you then hit SEND.

Beneath the blue banner are the PREVIOUS and NEXT buttons which will select the next recording format in the list and then automatically send it to the camera.

The reason for the two different methods is obviously so you can use the list selection to get to a specific one you want rather than scrolling through and the PREVIOUS/NEXT auto method is better for stepping through regions of formats (i.e just the AVCHD ones). 

Finally, the RECORD button is a bit self explanatory and switches between red and green depending on status.

The purpose of having the file name in the bigger banner is so that for testing you can point the camera at the phone (on a stand or propped up ideally) and then when you review the recorded file you will have a visual indicator of what file format you had told it to record in for easier confirmation.

If you send the camera some file formats it really doesn't like then certainly on the GX80 this can sometimes result it in de-populating its list inside the camera (i.e. you can select MP4 but there are no different formats listed) but this can easily be resolved by choosing a known working format from the list and sending it which will restore the list.

For the GX80 an example of this will be 

mp4_24p_100mbps_4k

As this contains the full list of all 202 GH5 format variants, I'd probably say this is the definitive last hurrah for anyone trying to find any hidden type inside their Lumix cameras and is obviously fastest and the most structured way to do it so will be less painful than having to paste hundreds of commands into a browser.

I think that this will be more fruitful for the latter cameras based on what seems to be happening with the GX9 so if you have one of those then using this you might be able to find more gold with that one a bit quicker.

Also, if you come across someone with an LX100 Mark 2 then this app will let us quickly establish if there is anything in there as I now have a sneaking feeling there might be.

Usual caveats regarding use of this app is that it doesn't send any commands other than those sent by the Panasonic app but obviously use of it is at your own risk.

Your Android device should auto install the attached apk file when you download it but make sure you have your security settings set to allow installation of apps from “Unknown sources“.

LumixVideoFormats.apk

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Grimor said:

I have tried all the combinations in my G80 and all. mov generate files that the camera cannot play. It also accepts some 200mbps that are not real hight bitrates in the corrupt file recorded.

Oh well, at least this is a quicker way to find out none of them work ;) 

So thats G80 and GX80 done and dusted.

Hopefully we can get something back from owners of the newer cameras.

I gave the 'LumixVideoFormats' app a try on my G9, but so far it's been very unreliable at communicating with it (but the Panasonic Image app works OK). When I hit the 'connect' button, usually nothing happens for while, then I get error messages popping up in the app (about various URLs failing). I managed to get it to actually put the camera into 'record' mode once, but usually I can't even get it to connect i.e. see the camera going into remote control mode on the LCD.

(Note this is using 'direct WiFi connect' mode on the G9, not via an access point etc.)

Any ideas? (I'll try it from a different Android device later, just in case that might make a difference).

• Super Members
6 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

I gave the 'LumixVideoFormats' app a try on my G9, but so far it's been very unreliable at communicating with it (but the Panasonic Image app works OK). When I hit the 'connect' button, usually nothing happens for while, then I get error messages popping up in the app (about various URLs failing). I managed to get it to actually put the camera into 'record' mode once, but usually I can't even get it to connect i.e. see the camera going into remote control mode on the LCD.

(Note this is using 'direct WiFi connect' mode on the G9, not via an access point etc.)

Any ideas? (I'll try it from a different Android device later, just in case that might make a difference).

The procedure because its a bit of a hack of their connection and handshake procedure is 

1. Put the camera into Wifi mode.
  2. Connect device to camera in Android settings
  3. Hit Connect in the app.
  4. As its a new connection, the camera may ask you if you want to make a new connection so click OK
  5. It will then likely fail as it doesn't like the first connection
  6. Close the app
  7. Re-open the app and click connect again and it should be fine from then on at every boot.

The cameras will only accept one wifi connection at a time so make sure that the Panasonic Image app is closed before using the app.

You can check the basic connection by loading this attached html page on any web browser on any device connected to the cameras wifi so either the web browser of that Android device or your pc etc.

Just click Connect and then Handshake and then at least you'll be able to try the HLG profile from that.

LX100 MARK 2 TESTER.html

12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The procedure because its a bit of a hack of their connection and handshake procedure is 

1. Put the camera into Wifi mode.
  2. Connect device to camera in Android settings
  3. Hit Connect in the app.
  4. As its a new connection, the camera may ask you if you want to make a new connection so click OK
  5. It will then likely fail as it doesn't like the first connection
  6. Close the app
  7. Re-open the app and click connect again and it should be fine from then on at every boot.

All that works fine with my GX80 (as a sanity check), and the app works OK after the connection is established.

But with the G9 it doesn't...

One thing I have seen a couple of times (while the app is attempting to connect with the G9) is a message on the LCD screen something like 'The Lumix app needs to be updated' (implying that it's an old Lumix/Panasonic Image app that is trying to connect to it). I wonder if the G9 has some protocol/URL changes compared to the earlier cameras? (the Panasonic Image app seems to get frequent updates - see https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/soft/image_app/ )

• Super Members
28 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

All that works fine with my GX80 (as a sanity check), and the app works OK after the connection is established.

But with the G9 it doesn't...

One thing I have seen a couple of times (while the app is attempting to connect with the G9) is a message on the LCD screen something like 'The Lumix app needs to be updated' (implying that it's an old Lumix/Panasonic Image app that is trying to connect to it). I wonder if the G9 has some protocol/URL changes compared to the earlier cameras? (the Panasonic Image app seems to get frequent updates - see https://av.jpn.support.panasonic.com/support/global/cs/soft/image_app/ )

The app needing to be updated message is usually a sign that the initial connect after the handshake has failed.

That could be a timing issue with the way its done in the app as it may not be waiting long enough between the two commands.

Where you able to test the basic html page version with it ?

If do Handshake and then Connect (l'd said the other way round in the post above like an idiot ;) ) on that it is obviously two commands and it will also display an error in the browser window.

If that doesn't work then I'll need to find an unguarded G9 in a shop and have a look at whats going on.

Thanks for your help in any case.

• Super Members
43 minutes ago, ac6000cw said:

Yes - that didn't  appear to work either - but I haven't 'sanity checked' that with the GX80, so that might be finger-trouble on my part.

I'll try it again tonight and post the messages from the browser test.

And if the html version works, then I've done a new version of the app with the handshake and connect functions split up in case it is a timing issue.

Just delete the old one and install this.

LumixVideoFormats-2.apk