Would You Perhaps Be Interested In A Different GX80/85 Colour Profile???

BTM_Pix

27 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

The GH4 capture from a forum user hasn't materialised so thats the blocker right now.

When it does, it will be looked at to see if it can be harvested or not.

Aaah ok. Am still keeping my fingers crossed. I just got back from a trip without a camera. But I think the colors on the GX85 would make a great VLog.

Thanks for the prompt reply. I am keeping my fingers crossed. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

can anyone tell me about the 3 cinelike options with hue changes. I read through the entire thread last week but can't remember seeing anything about them,

I'm doing a bit of testing with this at the moment with the gx85.  Messing with cinelike with a flat curve vs say standard with -5 highliights +5 shadows.  I took it out to the beach the other evening and I'm thinking that it makes no sense to use it when the dynamic range can easily be captured in an alternative profile.  What do we think about this?  Ideally in 8 bit dont we want the tonal range to be spread across as much of the histogram as possible rather than bunched in the middle? (whilst avoiding clipping). 

Also all the stuff I'm reading says to have sharpness& NR dialled down.  Sharpness I get, but noise reduction?  Is it a poor algorithm? Does it take out too much detail?

17 minutes ago, gethin said:

can anyone tell me about the 3 cinelike options with hue changes. I read through the entire thread last week but can't remember seeing anything about them,

I'm doing a bit of testing with this at the moment with the gx85.  Messing with cinelike with a flat curve vs say standard with -5 highliights +5 shadows.  I took it out to the beach the other evening and I'm thinking that it makes no sense to use it when the dynamic range can easily be captured in an alternative profile.  What do we think about this?  Ideally in 8 bit dont we want the tonal range to be spread across as much of the histogram as possible rather than bunched in the middle? (whilst avoiding clipping). 

Also all the stuff I'm reading says to have sharpness& NR dialled down.  Sharpness I get, but noise reduction?  Is it a poor algorithm? Does it take out too much detail?

Yes, NR destroys fine detail. Better off to use a plug-in if absolutely necessary, but I seldom bother.

15 minutes ago, gethin said:

I'm not sure about the other things you're asking about, but I was talking to the guys behind the Leeming LUT (http://www.leeminglutone.com/) about these settings. Here's what they said:

"Highlight shadow should stay at 0. Setting them otherwise actually causes artifacts and isn't recommended."

Also, before we could get Cine-D on the GX80, they said this, so I assume now we have Cine-D, it's even more reliable:

"The GH5 Cine-D LUT will work on your GX80 without issue. Use the same setup guide as the GH5 as much as possible and you'll be golden. Just change sharpness to the value you like, or -3 as a default."

Also going by their info, you should ETTR, get the histogram heavy on the right, without clipping. Check it out on their website http://www.leeminglutone.com/.

5 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

It too is dependent on the GH4 capture. 

Or alternatively a capture from the DVX200 connected to the app Panasonic do for it.

What exactly does the capture mean and how can someone unfamiliar with the process do it?

Your answer may expedite the process and maybe inspire a layman to help.

While I have hacked the GH2 and the GX85 after your instructions, I am not sure what you mean by the 'capture' reference. 

Maybe if you outline it more easily, it could help with the good work. 

• Super Members
10 minutes ago, sanveer said:

What exactly does the capture mean and how can someone unfamiliar with the process do it?

Your answer may expedite the process and maybe inspire a layman to help.

While I have hacked the GH2 and the GX85 after your instructions, I am not sure what you mean by the 'capture' reference. 

Maybe if you outline it more easily, it could help with the good work. 

Its already been described in the thread a few times?

The camera is connected to the smartphone app, which is also running a separate app (Packet Capture) which captures the messages passing between the smartphone app and the camera when you adjust settings.

We can then see what message the app sends when you adjust the shutter speed etc.

Or in this case, it would be when you enable VLOG and in the case of the DVX200 the master pedestal level.

The issue is more to do with finding people with the camera and firmware needed than the actual process itself.

The forum poster that had access to the right combination is currently MIA

15 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The issue is more to do with finding people with the camera and firmware needed than the actual process itself.

Would it be worth making a new topic called 'Looking for GH4 owner on firmware XX' since GH4 owners might not be reading through 23 pages of about modding the GX80? I mean, I don't read through the Samsung Hack topics, because I don't have that camera.

• Super Members
4 hours ago, CommonSimpleFilms said:

I just shot this video here with the GX85 + Cine-D: https://www.rode.com/myrodereel/watch/entry/4364

Posted a separate thread for it here too :)

Thanks so much @BTM_Pix for figuring out this little mod / "hack"!

Glad to see you've put it to such really productive use.

Best of luck with the contest.

52 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Would it be worth making a new topic called 'Looking for GH4 owner on firmware XX' since GH4 owners might not be reading through 23 pages of about modding the GX80? I mean, I don't read through the Samsung Hack topics, because I don't have that camera.

OK

• Super Members
41 minutes ago, anti12 said:

Hello, my GH4 is still on Firmware 2.3

The Android version of Gmonitor app recently added the feature to change Cinestiles.

I am now able to select and use V-Log L.

IMG_0050.JPG

Bear with me for a minute then. 

That has given me an idea ....