Would You Perhaps Be Interested In A Different GX80/85 Colour Profile???

BTM_Pix

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
6 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think someone has done a live viewfinder app for smartphones based on it but to be perfectly honest as a recording proposition I think it poses far more questions than it answers.

Considering how much you'd need to invest in the hardware to do it and creating the software to control it and the storage situation if you wanted it to be in a portable format (i.e. a smartphone) then, as with the higher bitrate HD quest, the Atomos Ninja Star at less than £200 is a far better proposition for me to eek extra value out of these cameras.

"It poses more questions than it answers" -- That's a great way to put it. Overall I agree. On the hardware side of things, though, I think the investments would be minimal. All modern laptops bring fast WiFi, extremely fast processing, and fast storage. It then comes down to software to solve the problem. I think a proof-of-concept could be done in python in a matter of days or weeks. What remains unclear to me is whether or not the resulting stream is of good enough quality (fps and "bitrate") to be worthy of recording at all. A dedicated piece of hardware is far more elegant, of course, but also pricier. And I think one purpose of these hacks is always to save money by putting in slightly more effort on the user's side.

• Super Members
On 08/06/2017 at 6:57 PM, ibd said:

"It poses more questions than it answers" -- That's a great way to put it. Overall I agree. On the hardware side of things, though, I think the investments would be minimal. All modern laptops bring fast WiFi, extremely fast processing, and fast storage. It then comes down to software to solve the problem. I think a proof-of-concept could be done in python in a matter of days or weeks. What remains unclear to me is whether or not the resulting stream is of good enough quality (fps and "bitrate") to be worthy of recording at all. A dedicated piece of hardware is far more elegant, of course, but also pricier. And I think one purpose of these hacks is always to save money by putting in slightly more effort on the user's side.

I've had a bit more of a dig about this because I was pretty sure that I remembered that the viewfinder app was upscaling to fill the phone screen. 

I had remembered correctly as it turns out the live stream resolution is only 640 x 480 so that would immediately rule it out.

On 6/8/2017 at 4:44 PM, tonysss said:

at initial setting, offers only E (Europe) region :-(    it is GX80 Europe version, switch to Australian region is not possible :-(

From what I have seen, the region can be switched only when turning OFF the 4k30p hack. This is when the user is presented with a menu that let's them choose one of four options. I have a European GX80, at least that was the case for me. Did you mean that you can't switch the region at all, or that you can't switch to the Australian one?

13 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I've had a bit more of a dig about this because I was pretty sure that I remembered that the viewfinder app was upscaling to fill the phone screen. 

I had remembered correctly as it turns out the live stream resolution is only 640 x 480 so that would immediately rule it out.

Lol, well that settles that. Thank you for checking!

On 10. 6. 2017 at 5:04 PM, ibd said:

From what I have seen, the region can be switched only when turning OFF the 4k30p hack. This is when the user is presented with a menu that let's them choose one of four options. I have a European GX80, at least that was the case for me. Did you mean that you can't switch the region at all, or that you can't switch to the Australian one?

Can not to go to initional settings, If before I'm not in service mode.

On 5/25/2017 at 11:24 AM, BTM_Pix said:

"So, like other settings, the Cinelike D profile will persist when you switch the camera off so if you want to use the other Photo Styles again then you MUST go this process again to re-enable them.

However, if you would like to switch between them without using this method again (and who wouldn’t) here is a neat way round it.

When you’ve done Step 12 and got Cinelike D on, set all your other parameters (4K24p etc) as you’d like them and save these into C1 of the custom settings.

Then go to Step 14 and use the ‘Restore’ to get your standard Photo Styles back, set all your other parameters (4K24p etc) as you’d like them and then save these into C2 of the custom settings.

Now when you switch the camera on, you simply choose C1 to have Cinelike D or C2 for the standard Photo Styles and forget about using any nonsense about using browsers and wifi connections!"

Edit: sorry, just saw that the question I had (below) has been answered. Please forgive a newbie....

Am I not understanding this right, but after step 12, can't you just save Cinelike D as a custom picture profile? Then RESTORE the default pictrure styles? I just did and it seems to work fine on my GX85.The newly saved custom picture style has a blank name, it looks like Cinelike D, all other picture styles are also present. This is without saving anything to C1, C2, etc. banks. Am I missing something?

• Super Members
On 11/06/2017 at 11:23 PM, broughtonfilm said:

Yes, you can save it to the custom picture profile but it is easy to overwrite it, meaning you would have to do the hack again which might not be convenient if you're out and about !

Safest thing to do IMO is do both and save it into one of the C registers.

20 minutes ago, Andrea Villani said:

Hi, first of all, I want to say thanks to the creator of the hack to make the CineD come to the GX80 :) Then my question: is it better to use the Cinelike D profile with everything set to 0 or -5? What do you think will be easier to grade and mantain more details and colors?

There may be some differing of opinion here, but I always liked these settings from Noam Kroll... great blog too if you're looking for a good read. 

http://noamkroll.com/the-best-gh4-settings-for-video-why-you-shouldnt-be-tweaking-things-too-much/

So is V-Log not achievable on the G7? 

I would first start off at 0 on everything or go out one day and have a test with each of the recommended settings for what works for you. For a while I used cined with -5 everything, but more or less now I use 0 on everything. 

21 minutes ago, Andrea Villani said:

Hi, first of all, I want to say thanks to the creator of the hack to make the CineD come to the GX80 :) Then my question: is it better to use the Cinelike D profile with everything set to 0 or -5? What do you think will be easier to grade and mantain more details and colors?

• Super Members
3 minutes ago, Devin Bunn said:

So is V-Log not achievable on the G7? 

Not thus far but my work on it at least is suspended while I'm doing the hardware controller.

We've got a lead with an old version of the app that had the 'free' VLOG glitch but needs someone with a GH4 with the old firmware before Panasonic shut the door on it to try and do some exploring to see if it could be applied to the G7.

Priority list for what I'm up to is the hardware controller, followed by Cinelike D on LX100 and then after that I'll revisit VLOG if no one else has been looking at it. I don't think the extra bitrates are viable using this method.