Would You Perhaps Be Interested In A Different GX80/85 Colour Profile???

BTM_Pix

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

In couple of weeks I’m hoping to show you how you can do stuff like this and some other useful bits and pieces from a little hardware gadget that will work on the Panasonic cameras but have fun with this in the meantime.

My next camera...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@BTM_Pix

Thank you for doing this.  I was wondering if you could redo the first comparison without the cast shadows going through the charts.  If you can, please put the charts in a sunlit area and please expose for the charts/sunlight.

Thanks!

• Super Members
16 minutes ago, tupp said:

@BTM_Pix

Thank you for doing this.  I was wondering if you could redo the first comparison without the cast shadows going through the charts.  If you can, please put the charts in a sunlit area and please expose for the charts/sunlight.

Thanks!

Yeah, apologies for that, wasn't being very exacting just getting something with some range in it to show that Cinelike D is possible on the GX80 rather than showing it as a way of working if you know what I mean. 

Hopefully now I've put it out there people can run more tests to put up to compare it with the other profiles as I've got a bit more digging around to be doing for a while ;)

1 hour ago, Inazuma said:

Would you be so kind as to do some comparison shots with the standard profile and new profile on skin?

The following were shot with the G85 using an LED light, all set at -3 sharpening and -5 noise reduction. 1) Cinelike D 2) Standard 3) Natural

Cinelike D.png

Standard.png

Natural.png

BTM_Pix has done an amazing job, breathing new life into the GX80. But it should be pointed out to those not familiar with the custom settings - each time the camera goes to sleep or shuts down, the color temperature, shutter speed and aperture will revert to the initial settings saved to C1, C2 or whatever - the camera doesn't remember your latest settings like it does in movie mode. This can be a bit frustrating, so it's not a replacement for having Cinelike D in camera in the first place.

• Super Members
19 minutes ago, jonpais said:

BTM_Pix has done an amazing job, adding new life to the GX80. But it should be pointed out to those not familiar with the custom settings - each time the camera goes to sleep or shuts down, the color temperature, shutter speed and aperture will revert to the initial settings saved to C1, C2 or whatever - the camera doesn't remember your latest settings like it does in movie mode. This can be a bit frustrating, so it's not a replacement for having Cinelike D in camera in the first place.

Absolutely not ideal that its not built in.

However, the way to deal with that though is to use the third C setting as the current working setting and save that before exiting.

So when you initially turn the camera on you would load C1 as a base point to work from if you wanted to use Cinelike D or C2 if you want to use a standard profile.

These would contain the basic stuff like frame size and shutter (which generally won't change as it'll be 180degrees), a base ISO (which again could be fixed and will be probably be 800 on these cameras?) etc so you can get going quickly, then as soon as you've changed your aperture and WB you save it and subsequent changes to C3. If you're using manual aperture lenses of course then that takes care of itself in terms of recalling its setting on power on/off ;)

That way its there when you switch the camera back on as it reverts to the last C setting you were using before power off.

From there on in for that day or whatever you just keep overwriting C3 when you make changes.

Its a lot more intuitive than it sounds !

Absolutely fantastic. Thanks @BTM_Pix for the work to make this happen. It's proof that not only is the profile actually loaded in the camera but that it's quite a good one too. I'll be setting this and trying it out under some, er, "trying" conditions hopefully in the next week or so.

@jonpais I have to say that while the Natural profile looks pretty darn good to me when exposure is set I'll definitely concede the point that Cinelike D appears to have higher DR. I'll have to poke at the actual bits to see if this is an actual new mapping of light to bit value or if it's because Cinelike D has a different contrast curve, because that's almost exactly what, to my eye, this looks like (speaking about DR or the appearance thereof, specifically). In other words, I'm curious as to whether the actual 255 maps to an actual higher EV of light, or if we just remap in between the same extremes we were already capturing. One would be increased DR (able to actually capture in a meaningful way brighter brights and darker darks in the same scene), the other would simply be playing with contrast and digital level mapping to give that appearance. 

Of course it's also curious as to whether Cine-D has different NR settings at higher ISO too... 

Wow, cool - I just discovered the same yesterday when testing my next version of my GMonitor app (see www.minaxsoft.com for more details). I was wondering about it as the profile name is not appearing on the display. Thanks for confirming! 

It seems that is also possible to enable Cinelike V on the GX80 but so far not sure about it! I'll build it into my apps and release it tomorrow evening.

Maybe I should try to enable V-Log, too :-))))

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Absolutely not ideal that its not built in.

However, the way to deal with that though is to use the third C setting as the current working setting and save that before exiting.

So when you initially turn the camera on you would load C1 as a base point to work from if you wanted to use Cinelike D or C2 if you want to use a standard profile.

These would contain the basic stuff like frame size and shutter (which generally won't change as it'll be 180degrees), a base ISO (which again could be fixed and will be probably be 800 on these cameras?) etc so you can get going quickly, then as soon as you've changed your aperture and WB you save it and subsequent changes to C3. If you're using manual aperture lenses of course then that takes care of itself in terms of recalling its setting on power on/off ;)

That way its there when you switch the camera back on as it reverts to the last C setting you were using before power off.

From there on in for that day or whatever you just keep overwriting C3 when you make changes.

Its a lot more intuitive than it sounds !

I haven't tested it out for myself, but I believe the base ISO in video mode is 200, not 800. At higher ISOs, color depth and dynamic range will decrease and there will be additional noise. To really take advantage of the available dynamic range, obtain the most accurate color and reduce noise levels with this camera, users should seriously read up on the benefits of exposing to the right. 

• Super Members
3 hours ago, jonpais said:

I haven't tested it out for myself, but I believe the base ISO in video mode is 200, not 800. At higher ISOs, color depth and dynamic range will decrease and there will be additional noise. To really take advantage of the available dynamic range, obtain the most accurate color and reduce noise levels with this camera, users should seriously read up on the benefits of exposing to the right. 

Yeah I think I probably got 800 stuck in my head from when the GH4 vlog debates where happening.

After enabling ISO50000 for this camera yesterday we should all rejoice that it's not that! 

11 hours ago, Holger Kremmin said:

Wow, cool - I just discovered the same yesterday when testing my next version of my GMonitor app (see www.minaxsoft.com for more details). I was wondering about it as the profile name is not appearing on the display. Thanks for confirming! 

It seems that is also possible to enable Cinelike V on the GX80 but so far not sure about it! I'll build it into my apps and release it tomorrow evening.

Maybe I should try to enable V-Log, too :-))))

I did mean to mention that Cinelike V works as well but not sure I've ever actually seen anyone who uses it!

• Super Members
53 minutes ago, Cinegain said:

800 would be the Blackmagic Pocket.

I think the 800 for the GH4 stuck in my head from Shane Hurlbut's review 

http://www.thehurlblog.com/cinematography-panasonic-lumix-dmc-gh4/

Mind you, I might well have had yet another of my senior moments and been thinking of the BMPCC. Or a Kodak Instamatic.

Here's a short clip shot at a temple here in Saigon over the weekend. Straight out of the camera, no editing, no color correction, no nothing. Lumix G85, Cinelike D, Sharpening -3, NR -5.

1 hour ago, Grimor said:

Do you think this method can be used for activate Vlog on the G85?

But I thought you had to purchase V-log from Panasonic?

6 hours ago, jonpais said:

Here's a short clip shot at a temple here in Saigon over the weekend. Straight out of the camera, no editing, no color correction, no nothing. Lumix G85, Cinelike D, Sharpening -3, NR -5.

Nothing wrong with that footage!  It makes me want to move to Saigon.  How's the Mexican food there?

3 hours ago, tupp said:

Nothing wrong with that footage!  It makes me want to move to Saigon.  How's the Mexican food there?

Thanks! I guess there are a few decent Mexican places here, but nothing like food lovers paradise where you're at.