Do not buy, use or even touch Lexar memory cards!

Teemu

15 hours ago, tugela said:

Not if it damages the controller. The data might still be there in memory but it can't be accessed.

Yeah, but then a good recovery company should directly tap into memory or use their own temporary controller to access data. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, tugela said:

The write speeds on those particular cards varies depending on the card capacity. The 16GB version for example writes at 40MB/s, while the larger cards write at 75-80MB/s. Also, if you are using a UHS-I bus device you will only get half of that speed, so you would be better off using a high performance UHS-I card in that case.

The 2000x cards run at much higher write speeds (~260 MB/s).

All of those cards (with the exception maybe of the 1000x 16GB card) will be throttled by your device write speed, not the card write speed.

I'm using the 64 GB Lexar UHS-II card with a stated speed of 150MB/s. In my GH5, the SanDisk Extreme, UHS-I, SDXC Class 10 card, with a stated speed of 90MB/s, is ready for the next 4K clip much quicker than my Lexar. So much for stated speeds. So it's not a question (at least in my case) of 'reliability', but shooting speed.

On 24.5.2017 at 3:26 PM, Samin said:

I didn't see if you mentioned but did you try to see if GH5 can read or reformat it as well? Did you check your footage in the camera before taking the card out?

Gh5 can't read or format the corrupted card. I was playing back our last shot everything was working great. I returned to shoot mode, turned off the camera and then took the card too soon out. Maybe when there is still this Lumix screen in monitor. Just a second too early.

On 24.5.2017 at 4:06 PM, scotchtape said:

Also... You ejected the card while it was being written to and blame the card???

Everyone can make a bad card, but no one can save you if you pull a card while it's being written to...

I was not recording or playing back when ejected the card. I think it's because camera was still shutting down and making some last "writings/markings" to card.

Also I have noticed when you flipp open the memory card door. GH5 sometimes writes/flashes the card slots like one second some times. Don't know is it possible to burn card on that moment. It's really wierd because sometimes it does it sometimes not.

13 minutes ago, Ken Ross said:

I'm using the 64 GB Lexar UHS-II card with a stated speed of 150MB/s. In my GH5, the SanDisk Extreme, UHS-I, SDXC Class 10 card, with a stated speed of 90MB/s, is ready for the next 4K clip much quicker than my Lexar. So much for stated speeds. So it's not a question (at least in my case) of 'reliability', but shooting speed.

That Lexar has a write speed of 75 MB/s, and since (IIRC) the GH5 uses a UHS-I interface, only half of that is available. Which means the write speed will be ~37 MB/s. The Sandisk card probably writes at around 80 MB/s. If you want faster write speeds, use the 2000x cards. Those have UHS-II write speeds of ~260 MB/s for Lexar, and ~280 MB/s for Sandisk (or half if you use them in a UHS-I device). Both of them will be faster than the Sandisk card you are currently using.

As a quick test on this laptop, I wrote to a 128GB 1000x UHS-II card I had handy to see what data throughput it would have. Reading off the hard drive and writing through a UHS-I interface to the card yielded sustained write speeds of ~30 MB/s, more or less what you would expect in that scenario. Any speed issues you see are a result of your equipment, not the card.

12 minutes ago, Teemu said:

Gh5 can't read or format the corrupted card. I was playing back our last shot everything was working great. I returned to shoot mode, turned off the camera and then took the card too soon out. Maybe when there is still this Lumix screen in monitor. Just a second too early.

I was not recording or playing back when ejected the card. I think it's because camera was still shutting down and making some last "writings/markings" to card.

Also I have noticed when you flipp open the memory card door. GH5 sometimes writes/flashes the card slots like one second some times. Don't know is it possible to burn card on that moment. It's really wierd because sometimes it does it sometimes not.

That is probably just the camera disconnecting from the card. The flashing light does not necessarily mean that data is being transferred, just that some card related operation has been carried out.

6 minutes ago, tugela said:

That is probably just the camera disconnecting from the card. The flashing light does not necessarily mean that data is being transferred, just that some card related operation has been carried out.

Yeah, maybe you are right. But for sure I know even if it is just disconnecting from the card or some other card related operation, it may burn your card if ejected at that time. Stupid me, human error. I will do human errors in future also and other people too. Only backups can save in situations like that.

8 hours ago, tomekk said:

Yeah, but then a good recovery company should directly tap into memory or use their own temporary controller to access data. 

That would require physically accessing the silicon. Very few places would be capable of that, even the FBI would be challenged to do that.

If you want to see the challenge, have a look at this video to see what is actually inside those cards: 

18 minutes ago, tugela said:

That would require physically accessing the silicon. Very few places would be capable of that, even the FBI would be challenged to do that.

If you want to see the challenge, have a look at this video to see what is actually inside those cards: 

You just need skills;) 

2 hours ago, tugela said:

That Lexar has a write speed of 75 MB/s, and since (IIRC) the GH5 uses a UHS-I interface, only half of that is available. Which means the write speed will be ~37 MB/s. The Sandisk card probably writes at around 80 MB/s. If you want faster write speeds, use the 2000x cards. Those have UHS-II write speeds of ~260 MB/s for Lexar, and ~280 MB/s for Sandisk (or half if you use them in a UHS-I device). Both of them will be faster than the Sandisk card you are currently using.

Nope, the GH5 uses a UHS-II interface. Here ya go:

Manufacturer Camera Model    Slot 1            Slot 2           Announcement Date             Notes

FujiX-T1                                    UHS-II                                January 28, 2014

FujiX-Pro2                                UHS-II            UHS-I            January 14, 2016                Dual SD card slots, however only Slot 1 supports UHS-II

FujiX-T2                                   UHS-II             UHS-II          July 7, 2016                         Dual UHS-II Slots

LeicaLeica SL (Typ 601)           UHS-II             UHS-I          October 20, 2015                 Slot 1: UHS-II, Slot 2: UHS-I

NikonD500XQD                        UHS-II                                 January 6, 2016                   Slot 1: XQD, Slot 2: UHS-II

OlympusOM-D E-M5 II             UHS-II                                 February 5, 2015

OlympusOM-D E-M10 II           UHS-II                                 August 25, 2015

OlympusPEN-F                         UHS-II                                January 27, 2016

OlympusOM-D E-M1 II              UHS-IIUHS-INovember 2, 2016Dual SD card slots, however only Slot 1 supports UHS-II

PanasonicGH5                          UHS-II             UHS-II         January 4, 2017                  Dual UHS-II card slots

SamsungNX1                             UHS-II                                 September 15, 2014

50 minutes ago, jonpais said:

I posted a few screen grabs last night which clearly show the greater DR of Cinelike D over the other profiles in the G85. It's also much more forgiving of blemishes on faces like that of yours truly. The rendition of my shirt is also more accurate, more homogenous - in Standard and Natural, the colors don't blend together nicely as they do in Cinelike D. White balance may be a touch yellow, these are all straight out of the camera.

Wrong topic?

How are we still discussing the card brand? Two fatal mistakes were made (removal midst writing and no backup card in the second slot) and any brand can fail. Anecdotally, a coworker of mine said he had to replace a SanDisk SD card multiple times under warranty and he is not a power-user at all. The topic should be renamed, the conclusion written in the first post and the thread should be locked. This is a witch hunt.

19 minutes ago, JurijTurnsek said:

How are we still discussing the card brand? Two fatal mistakes were made (removal midst writing and no backup card in the second slot) and any brand can fail. Anecdotally, a coworker of mine said he had to replace a SanDisk SD card multiple times under warranty and he is not a power-user at all. The topic should be renamed, the conclusion written in the first post and the thread should be locked. This is a witch hunt.

Couldn't agree with you more!