Single Focus Isco anamorphicstore.com questions

Mad Guru

Hi,

I'm learning about anamorphic lenses and options. I have gone through Tito's videos and guides as well as purchasing and reading the EOSHD guide yesterday. For my tastes and starting out, I am interested in the Isco anamorphic projector lenses, for their sharpness and price. I came upon ebay listings by http://anamorphicstore.com with items that I wished to ask about here.

1. Has anyone used the Isco Anamorphic Lens SINGLE FOCUS?

2. What is it?

It looks to me like a Cinelux or some smaller Isco anamorphic projector lens, with a 3D printed part, and possibly a non anamorphic Isco lens at the front, somehow to focus it. The footage is certainly beautiful.

3. What is the difference between this so called Isco Mini lenses and the Isco Blue Star, Cinelux?

I tried searching for 3rd party info regarding these products as possible alternatives to other products like FM, Rectilux etc .

Thanks,

Adnan

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Thanks for the info everyone. What a great resource, to learn from so many generous people here. I really appreciate it. It looks like the Isco Blue Star is a good starting anamorphic. That's what their mini one is, with a part removed.Other sellers have it for less. I'm not sure about their focusing mechanism, but for starting, I think it might be best to just pick up the lens and simpler clamps elsewhere and try that first. There seem to be other options available for the price point they are selling their kits for.

• 8 months later...
On 20/05/2017 at 2:57 PM, IshootbeforeItalk said:

over priced seller. I'd stay away.

On 20/05/2017 at 7:33 PM, Bold said:

I have the dirt on this guy.  Definitely look for a different eBay seller.

I came across anamorphicstore on eBay while searching for single focus solutions and he has a premium optics version of his Rangefinder. All his feedback has been positive with one in particular saying 'incredible quality' so why can't I find any reviews of the product online and what dirt do you have on this guy? The video associated with the premium Rangefinder looks good but there seems to be only one focus pull (@1:18) in the whole video! https://youtu.be/n4tFj5a9-5g

Anyone know what Rectilux is up to? I see very few updates from them. 

I haven't heard of ProtoDNA and I can see (after googling it) that it has Rectilux's name emblazoned on the front so I assume John has had a hand in the design? Can you tell me more about it? Are you involved in the project? I'm guessing that because you refer to anamorphicstore's Rangefinder as 'junk' and seem a little disparaging about it, you might have a dog in the race. Do you have user experience with the Rangfinder? Also, ProtoDNA's minimum focus distance is 0.7 whereas the Rangfinder's is 0.3, that's quite a margin. ProtoDNA's $495 price is a bit more palatable tough to anamorphicstore's $649 (it's inexplicably gone up this past week from $599).

I wonder if either will fit my Moller 32/2x, some footage with proper focus pulling at different distances would do these products the world of good otherwise trust issues arise. 

On 06/02/2018 at 1:07 AM, whoisjsd said:

I am also hoping to use it on my Moller 32/2x. I will use a 72mm front clamp with a 72-58mm step ring.

You mean to attach the Proto to the Moller? Why 72mm? 

On 02/02/2018 at 3:16 PM, seku said:

Rectilux is doing its thing. waiting for my hardcore DNA :glasses:

When will you be getting yours, is the next batch available? I've tried writing a few times to John for info without any response. 

On 2/5/2018 at 4:07 PM, whoisjsd said:

I am going on several accounts by others about the quality and the shadiness of the Anamorphic Store's practices.

You'll notice at the bottom of his website, some quotes.  One of those quotes is from himself.  Hilarious... as if it were some kind of impartial testimonial. 

In his eBay descriptions this guy used to label his 'Custom' anamorphic as an "Iscorama," but in reality it is a Bell & Howell anamorphic with the label taped over - conveniently hiding the true identity from consumers.  Did he want his customers to believe they were buying an Iscorama?  It sure seems that way...

His 'Custom' design is nearly identical to mine** and only appeared for sale after I had shared my B&H mod progress on the EOSHD forums.  Did he plagiarize my design?  It sure seems that way...

He appears to have gone to (unsuccessful) lengths to hide is identity - as well as the origin of his products.  Now, I would never say this guy is a disingenuous, price-gouging, plagiarizing swindler.  But you can certainly find better anamorphic products & prices from forthright sellers.  Sellers whose product info is accurate - not exaggerated or misleading.

This guy's business practices aren't necessarily illegal, but 'shady' might be one way to describe them.

** NOTE: my design wouldn't have been possible without invaluable contributions from Rich, Nick, and Tito

My HCDNA came in last week and I have to get it machined to fit my Kowa C35 1.5x ... Having never taken apart a lens before, I will have to carefully disassemble the HCDNA before providing it to the CNC machinist.  Then hopefully I can finally use it with my setup.  

John was very fast to respond, and I received the unit like a week after I ordered it.  It's heavier than I anticipated!

6 hours ago, liamlumiere said:

@Bold Good to know that. You have made a single focus solution also? Are you selling them online, website?

I do!  I will be selling it as soon as I finish building the website (which is taking a little longer than I hoped).  Some key differences between my design and the other guy's version:

• Mine isn't made from ridiculous red 3D-printed plastic.  The housing is made from anodized black 6061 machined aluminum that I had commissioned.
  • I disassembled, degreased, and re-greased the helicoid with superior lubricant.
  • My mod includes my custom-built dual-bracket 15mm rail support clamp.
  • My mod doesn't require re-alignment when switching lenses.
  • I don't cut corners or try to hide anything. I make no secret that this mod wouldn't have been possible without the help from the good people on the EOSHD forums.  I make no secret that you can build this mod yourself (you can read my development thread here).
  • My mod is a turnkey solution - it doesn't require an overpriced, threadless 3D-printed lens clamp.
  • My mod will be selling for less than his. :glasses:

Side note: Like Carlo, I've also found John Barlow (Rectilux) very helpful and quick to respond.

your prized Kowa B&H mods? i really wanted to ask you about those. really glad that you're working on them. i'm quite interested in those.

(just one hijacking question : how far do your mods take the desqueeze? from 2x at infinity to how much "compression loss" at near focus? 1.5x? more, less?)

• 6 months later...
On 2/8/2018 at 12:06 PM, Bold said:

I do!  I will be selling it as soon as I finish building the website (which is taking a little longer than I hoped).  Some key differences between my design and the other guy's version:

• Mine isn't made from ridiculous red 3D-printed plastic.  The housing is made from anodized black 6061 machined aluminum that I had commissioned.
  • I disassembled, degreased, and re-greased the helicoid with superior lubricant.
  • My mod includes my custom-built dual-bracket 15mm rail support clamp.
  • My mod doesn't require re-alignment when switching lenses.
  • I don't cut corners or try to hide anything. I make no secret that this mod wouldn't have been possible without the help from the good people on the EOSHD forums.  I make no secret that you can build this mod yourself (you can read my development thread here).
  • My mod is a turnkey solution - it doesn't require an overpriced, threadless 3D-printed lens clamp.
  • My mod will be selling for less than his. :glasses:

Side note: Like Carlo, I've also found John Barlow (Rectilux) very helpful and quick to respond.

I was browsnig for anamorphic and just read this. Has there been any development on your ideas above?

8 hours ago, mirekti said:

I was browsnig for anamorphic and just read this. Has there been any development on your ideas above?

mirketi, I've finished building my website (complete with shopping cart) and I've shot some more test footage.  What remains is to edit the footage it to the website along with some product photos.

The mod itself is ready and available.  I'm offering the complete mod (lens included), a modification service (send me your B&H and I'll mod it), and a mod kit (do-it-yourself). PM me if you would like details, I'm hoping to launch the website next month.