Canon C200 and Panasonic rival camera to fight it out at CineGear Expo

Andrew Reid

11 hours ago, OliKMIA said:

$9,000 ...

11 hours ago, Mattias Burling said:

Wow thats low, definitely thought it would be higher.

Actually the information was wrong... Here is the official Canon statement "the Canon EOS C200 and EOS C200B Digital Cinema Cameras are scheduled to be available in August 2017 for estimated retail prices of $7,499 and $5,999 respectively."

The difference between the C200 and C200B seems to be the handle, EVF, grip and small monitor. Basically the C200 is ready to go.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1340800-REG/canon_2215c002_eos_c200_ef_camera.html

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
35 minutes ago, OliKMIA said:

Actually the information was wrong... Here is the official Canon statement "the Canon EOS C200 and EOS C200B Digital Cinema Cameras are scheduled to be available in August 2017 for estimated retail prices of $7,499 and $5,999 respectively."

The difference between the C200 and C200B seems to be the handle, EVF, grip and small monitor. Basically the C200 is ready to go.

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1340800-REG/canon_2215c002_eos_c200_ef_camera.html

It is about $9000 in Sweden on the preorder sites.

5 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Varicam sensor and a decent 4k 50p 10 bit codec would be enough for a lot of folk. The 10 bit is a given considering the gh5 has it - fingers crossed for the sensor 

Yeah, I think all rumors point to it having the Varicam sensor. I assume it will be called the Varicam Mini or Micro. It should be a wicked camera but a S35mm cinema cam with 5-axis IBIS and Raw... even at 1080p would be pretty epic.

15 minutes ago, ade towell said:

Varicam sensor and a decent 4k 50p 10 bit codec would be enough for a lot of folk. The 10 bit is a given considering the gh5 has it - fingers crossed for the sensor 

If they don't use any of the ugly processing (sharpening, nr, ghosting) from the GH5, I'm all in.
Obviously Canon RAW won't have any of these flaws.

32 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

@tugela posted earlier that the 10bit is a hardware, not software issue....

You have to take what he says with a grain of salt... he is so anti-canon, he will pretty much believe or promote anything that puts Canon in a bad light. Without confirmation from Canon, there is probably no way to know for sure, at this point, if Canon's brand new processor is capable of 10bit or not.

that works both ways with Canon fans too....every bit of info Canon has released says it's 8 bit  and apparently the delay for the XF-AVC codec is due to the complexity of re-engineering a 10bit codec to play nicely in 8bit.

I've got a Canon c100 and was really hoping the c200 would be my next camera - but the kind of mid tier corporate stuff I'm aiming for is asking more and more for 10 bit and 4k. They don't care about great af - I would be foolish to ignore that - the Panasonic is looking more likely for my needs

3 hours ago, ade towell said:

that works both ways with Canon fans too....every bit of info Canon has released says it's 8 bit  and apparently the delay for the XF-AVC codec is due to the complexity of re-engineering a 10bit codec to play nicely in 8bit.

I've got a Canon c100 and was really hoping the c200 would be my next camera - but the kind of mid tier corporate stuff I'm aiming for is asking more and more for 10 bit and 4k. They don't care about great af - I would be foolish to ignore that - the Panasonic is looking more likely for my needs

I heard that too, but I'm unsure why it would be so complex... the XC10 is 2 years old and it uses an 8bit 4:22 XF-AVC codec for its 4K. I guess a different sensor and new processor equals different and new complexities?

Apparently Canon has promised to add XF-AVC for free down the line, but if someone with more knowledge than the rest of us here knows that the DV6 chip can only process 8 bit, then it seems it will be the 8 bit version.

I wouldn't get too worried. I have NEVER seen banding on a C300, C500, C100, etc. and have used them tons. I mean... if you shoot at 320 ISO and overexpose a flat blue sky with noise reduction turned on to maximum maybe you could get a little bit? But never objectionable. And Canon Log 3 is designed not to be as flat as Canon Log 2, so perhaps its exclusion in favor of Raw Light is to avoid the banding you would get with 8 bit Canon Log 2. Neither Canon Log 1 nor Canon Log 3 is as flat as Log C or SLOG2/SLOG3 or Canon Log 2; instead, it's "pseudo-log" designed to retain DR while also minimizing banding.

I don't think banding will be an issue for anyone using this camera. The color profiles on cinema cameras do not suffer from the same problems you get on mirrorless and dSLR (or with Sony's profiles, which are far too flat for 8 bit). 

Then again, I'm not the Canon expert here!