timecode freerun

grey

no way to obtain a timecode freerun in camera?It could be better for sync an external audio(I know that I will neve be perfect in frame sync with an external audio recorder but I can be more precise than a file with the only duration od the video)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The 2 things I do for timecode is:

Clap one's hands, or use a proper clapper.

Plural eyes.

Something I would like to explore (there is a XLR version) https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00N2GJCB2/ref=s9u_simh_gw_i1?ie=UTF8&fpl=fresh&pd_rd_i=B00N2GJCB2&pd_rd_r=1SEJ7JT0D8PAD9XD9RF0&pd_rd_w=LY4Tj&pd_rd_wg=AO7h4&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=&pf_rd_r=FDSXRY8T0ZERG0ZTCTPT&pf_rd_t=36701&pf_rd_p=781f4767-b4d4-466b-8c26-2639359664eb&pf_rd_i=desktop

or, if sound is the issue, you can buy a recorder with an HDMI connection (I am not sure if they work with NX1 though, never used one)

This is a good question, because there seems to be freerun timecode in the menu. So supposedly, it's written in the file somehow.

Premiere Pro though, doesn't see it, so I'm wondering maybe there is some other software, which can see it. Since most NLE's aren't very friendly with the h265, maybe they just can't understand the way NX1 records timecode in the h265 file. 

16 hours ago, Hans Punk said:

Nope, but they will work with NX.

Ive used them to sync Amira/2x 5D3's to audio recorder on a doco...they are very versatile little things that are virtually camera agnostic.

Yes, how many do you need for 3 cameras and a sound recorder? 

3 hours ago, Kisaha said:

Yes, how many do you need for 3 cameras and a sound recorder? 

One unit per device (so in my case 4). If syncing one camera to one external audio recorder, then you would need 2.

I'm not affiliated with the company so have no gain in trying to push the product, but they are very good from my experience and provide sync  very effectively. The price point is very reasonable considering the alternative solutions on the market.

you can see the wide range of sync cables on the product page to see what devices/cameras they support (virtually everything with a audio/line in input).

https://shop.tentaclesync.com/

@Hans Punk

Thank you very much, my impression is that they offer the easiest and most portable solution (for the price), but 4 Tentacles is a big cost for low budget productions. Maybe the good old "manual" sync in post ain't that bad! Especially with the NXes that record 73 minutes per take. Cheers!

• 2 weeks later...

If I'm not wrong tentacle is not compatible with h265...so.My question is, if samsung can let go out a freerun timecode signal with the hdmi(as we can see in the camera menu), there is a way to write this timecode in the files of the camera with the hack mode?(Vasile or Kino)