GH5 FD to MFT speed booster adapters---HELP!

tomsemiterrific

I have a speed booster adapter for my GH5 so I can mount Canon FD lenses. But the fit is loose--for both the camera and the FD lenses. My standard non-speed booster mount works really well--nice fit and solid. 

I know there are a lot of speed booster mounts for this combination--lots of knock-off products, so it's very confusing. Does anyone know of a good brand that produces an FD to MFT speed booster mount? I don't mind paying for it if it works well. There are some instances when those FD lenses are invaluable in my shooting.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
7 minutes ago, tomsemiterrific said:

I have a speed booster adapter for my GH5 so I can mount Canon FD lenses. But the fit is loose--for both the camera and the FD lenses. My standard non-speed booster mount works really well--nice fit and solid. 

I know there are a lot of speed booster mounts for this combination--lots of knock-off products, so it's very confusing. Does anyone know of a good brand that produces an FD to MFT speed booster mount? I don't mind paying for it if it works well. There are some instances when those FD lenses are invaluable in my shooting.

Even the Metabones has a play in it. Jordy from Cinecom (YT channel) claimed that few weeks ago, and duct taped the mount as a fix.

From personal experience I can recon Zhongyi - Mitakon Lens Turbo's, the IQ is great and comes in affordable price. However, mine had a really small play in it. It was a problem only when I was shooting anamorphic, otherwise, I loved it.

Metabones is the best one.  I've used it a lot with FD zooms and primes.  Fit is tight for me.  It was pricey, but I've had no problems.  I like FD lenses as well.  Older coating means it works well with anamorphic adapters.  You can check out my use of the FD 35-105mm zoom in this video:  

4 hours ago, nahua said:

Metabones is the best one.  I've used it a lot with FD zooms and primes.  Fit is tight for me.  It was pricey, but I've had no problems.  I like FD lenses as well.  Older coating means it works well with anamorphic adapters.  You can check out my use of the FD 35-105mm zoom in this video:  

The older Metabones version looked perfectly good. B&H still has it up, but a message saying it's no longer offered. The version they now sell on B&H, over 400 bucks, has electronics--that's nonsense for FD lenses. Is that the one you're speaking of, or the older version?

If you don't need the speedbooster style optics I bought one of these years ago and the machining is in a whole other league...all his adapters are first class manufacturing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-FD-FL-lens-mount-to-micro-4-3-MFT-GH4-Blackmagic-ciecio7-adapter-/251021722531?hash=item3a720f83a3:m:msoDJIVcy6LCbjL_OsnADaA

27 minutes ago, Fritz Pierre said:

If you don't need the speedbooster style optics I bought one of these years ago and the machining is in a whole other league...all his adapters are first class manufacturing.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Canon-FD-FL-lens-mount-to-micro-4-3-MFT-GH4-Blackmagic-ciecio7-adapter-/251021722531?hash=item3a720f83a3:m:msoDJIVcy6LCbjL_OsnADaA

Yeah, same thing here. I bought this unit for my GH4 and it fits perfectly. Very tight. No need for expensive speedbooster with an all manual FD lens.

5 hours ago, Fritz Pierre said:

Actually, I have one of those, and it is excellent; beautiful fit, smooth aperture adjustment, etc. But, alas and alack, I do need the increased speed and angle of view.

I've concluded the speed booster I have for MFT is not very good. I'm still going to work a bit on it. But I really have to have something that will work well and not ruin shooting. So, I've ordered another speed booster from a brand I've found to be reasonably good---and we'll see.

On 5/18/2017 at 1:36 PM, tomsemiterrific said:

The older Metabones version looked perfectly good. B&H still has it up, but a message saying it's no longer offered. The version they now sell on B&H, over 400 bucks, has electronics--that's nonsense for FD lenses. Is that the one you're speaking of, or the older version?

Yeah mine is the older one.  I bought it when it first came out, 2014 or 2015 I think.  it doesn't have any contacts on it.  I'll take a pic of it tomorrow and post it.

@tomsemiterrific...another solution may simply be to do what I do with my Kowa 2x...I already tape the focus rings on both the Kowa and the taking lens with a bit of gaffers tape....the play in the adapter is most pertinent to the vertical allighment of the Kowa or whatever anamorphic you are using...you may buy another adapter and find it shifts too...I think the Metabones is optically superior to the others, so if you need a booster, maybe the simple answer is a bit of gaffers tape...just remove it after every shoot so it does not leave residue on your camera and adapter....when all is said and done, nothing is really more important than the quality of the optics we use!

Here are a few pics of it.  No electrical contacts.  Fits tight on my GH4.  It might have problems with some older FD lenses.  I remember having a hard time with my FD 50mm F1.4 SSC.  However I didn't have problems with my FD 35mm F2 or FD 85mm F1.8.

2017 Ebay - 0177.jpg

2017 Ebay - 0179.jpg

2017 Ebay - 0181.jpg

2017 Ebay - 0182.jpg

2017 Ebay - 0184.jpg

2017 Ebay - 0191.jpg

2017 Ebay - 0193.jpg

2017 Ebay - 0195.jpg