Super 16 Lenses for Pocket Cinema?

Ben Prater

What recommendations do you guys have for budget Super 16 lenses for the new BM Pocket Cinema camera? I'd like to start doing some hunting on Ebay, but I really don't know what to look for!

I'm a big fan of fast lenses for doc-style run-and-gun shooting and I also really like wide lenses for the great landscapes I have here in Phoenix! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have a set of these they are great Russian lenses made by KMZ who make the Helios

TAIR-41

VEGA-7-1

MIR-11

From KIEV-16U camera

Vega-7-1:
focal length: 20mm
relative aperture: F/2
field of vision angle: 35
Mir-11M:
focal length: 12,5mm
field of vision angle: 54
Tair-41M:
focal length: 50mm
field of vision angle: 15

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOT-Of-THREE-Lenses-TAIR-41-VEGA-7-1-MIR-11-From-KIEV-16U-Movie-Camera-/111035368973?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item19da39460d

I have a set of these they are great Russian lenses made by KMZ who make the Helios

TAIR-41

VEGA-7-1

MIR-11

From KIEV-16U camera

Vega-7-1:
focal length: 20mm
field of vision angle: 35
Mir-11M:
focal length: 12,5mm
field of vision angle: 54
Tair-41M:
focal length: 50mm
field of vision angle: 15

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/LOT-Of-THREE-Lenses-TAIR-41-VEGA-7-1-MIR-11-From-KIEV-16U-Movie-Camera-/111035368973?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item19da39460d

Very nice options! Thanks! What adapter could we use to put it on the MFT mount of the Pocket camera? Because it says in some descriptions that it's not C-mount, although it's close.

grabbed this list of c-mount lenses for PocketCC from another forum:

Angenieux 12-120mm T/2.5 - There are quite few of these on ebay. Seems like an absolutely awesome every day zoom from a legendary brand.  Considering it’s a T/2.5 zoom from Angenieux the prices are not bad at all.

Schneider 18-90mm f/2 â€“ Another nice zoom for another legendary brand. The range is not as long as Angenieux, but it’s a faster lens. A few of them are on ebay at the time of writing, some priced very attractively.

Canon 17-102mm f/2 â€“ This is the 3rd very interesting zoom, which would be equivalent to 51-308mm f/2 on BMPCC.  There are loads of these on Ebay, some going at crazy cheap prices, so not much excuse not to try of these fast zooms.

Computar TV 12.5-75mm f/1.2 â€“ There a loads of Computar lenses on ebay and our of 4 zooms it’s definitely the least known brand. But what it stands out for is f/1.2. That is mega fast for such zoom range. This particular example I found is only $49.95, Crazy!!!

Cosmicar 8.5mm f/1.5 â€“ This ultra wide tiny prime will provide a relatively wide angle even on BMPCC. Best off all, it’s crazy cheap, $17/£11 at the time of writing with 8 hours to go.

Sony TV 25mm f/1.8 â€“ At the time of writing this tiny lens is $16/£10, which also is quite a bargain. It will probably end up slightly higher, but I’ve seen some test footage with one of theses on hacked GF1 and it’s worth the price.

Century Night Hawk 50mm f/0.95 â€“ This rare C-mount prime is certainly very impressive, currently under $260, pretty nice too. Could be a great an ultra fast telephoto prime for BMPCC

Very nice options! Thanks! What adapter could we use to put it on the MFT mount of the Pocket camera? Because it says in some descriptions that it's not C-mount, although it's close.

these lenses have a 32mm rear thread

try 42-32mm step ring screwed in to a M42 to m4/3 adapter - give it a go

they are great little lenses with the KMZ classic look

I just picked up one of these 3.5-8mm c mount zooms - very well made and very cheap!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-CCTV-lens-3-5-8mm-varifocal-manual-iris-CS-/160426428637?pt=UK_CCTV&hash=item255a2908dd

Isn't that made for 1/2" sensors, so won't it vignette on the BMPCC?

I'm confused by the enormous price gulf between these CCTV lenses and 16mm prime sets like the Zeiss Super Speeds.  Will the C-mount cheapo lenses actually look any good, or will they have the bizarre artifacts I've seen in GH2 C-mount footage?

There has to be a middle ground here.  What if I want to spend $100-600 for something like an 8mm f/1.2 or f/2 S16 lens? Does that exist?

@andy: that 3.5-8mm wil not cover the BMPCC sensor at all. It's probably for 1/3" sensors. I have a tiny 8mm f/1.2 CCTV lens for 1/3" sensors, costs like $8, but the coverage is too small of course.

@Rungunshot: some c-mount lenses will be crap, some will be ok, some will be good :) a good 8mm that will cover the sensor for that price range must be possible. I have a Computar 8.5mm f/1.5 that barely covers it (vignettes in the corners) and I have a Tokina 8mm 1.3 TV lens that probably will cover it, but I have to modify the mount to make it fit on my c-mount to m43 adapter. I don't know how the quality will be, but both lenses I bought for small prices on eBay.

I'm planning on starting a topic soon where I test my C-mount lenses for BMPCC coverage (it's easy to do with the GH2 and cropping out the sensor size of the Pocket), maybe we can make a nice list that way.

@andy: that 3.5-8mm wil not cover the BMPCC sensor at all. It's probably for 1/3" sensors. I have a tiny 8mm f/1.2 CCTV lens for 1/3" sensors, costs like $8, but the coverage is too small of course.

@Rungunshot: some c-mount lenses will be crap, some will be ok, some will be good :) a good 8mm that will cover the sensor for that price range must be possible. I have a Computar 8.5mm f/1.5 that barely covers it (vignettes in the corners) and I have a Tokina 8mm 1.3 TV lens that probably will cover it, but I have to modify the mount to make it fit on my c-mount to m43 adapter. I don't know how the quality will be, but both lenses I bought for small prices on eBay.

I'm planning on starting a topic soon where I test my C-mount lenses for BMPCC coverage (it's easy to do with the GH2 and cropping out the sensor size of the Pocket), maybe we can make a nice list that way.

That would be great. I think people are going to be clamoring for good c-mount glass to keep their BMPCC pocket-sized and affordable.    After all, the ability to use S16mm lenses is the main advantage of the windowed 1080p sensor vs the original BMCC's 2.5k sensor.

Obviously it's not difficult to get good telephoto lenses, but finding an 8mm that doesn't vignette will be crucial.

Yeah, the ability to use S16 lenses is nice, but I don't think it's going to be cheap. It's already hard to find them at all, and if they are up on ebay there are pretty expensive for the good ones.

But even without S16 lenses I think there will be plenty of options, even for wide. Especially when the M43 speed booster comes out.

I'm not going to invest in S16 glass, I'll probably use the c-mount lenses I have lying around and might try to pick up a few cheap ones, but I feel more comfortable investing in normal lenses, because I could always use them in the future on a bigger sensor.

Probably the first Speed Booster for M43 will be a dumb one with Nikon mount maybe. I'm contemplating on a 3 prime anamorphic setup. Could be a 35mm 1.4, 50mm 1.4 and 85mm (Nikkor f/2 or f/1.8, or Samyang 1.4). Will have to add a 24mm or 28mm (f/2 maybe..) to use with my 1.5x anamorphic.

Wit the Speed Booster the BMPCC crop is roughly 2x, so what would result in:

Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 = 56mm f/2 + 1,5x Anamorphic = 37mm fov

Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 = 70mm f/1.0 + 2x Kowa B&H Anamorphic = 35mm fov
Nikkor 50mm f/1.4 = 100mm f/1.0 + 2x Kowa B&H anamorphic = 50mm fov
Nikkor 85mm f/2 = 170mm f/1.4 + 2x Kowa B&H anamorphic = 85mm fov

For starters you might consider one of these. 

A nice 25mm 1.4 for CCTV lens for 16 euros (including shipping) not bad a bad price. 

Notice this particular listing has 2 macro rings.  

http://www.ebay.com/itm/25mm-F1-4-CCTV-C-Mount-Lens-for-Sony-NEX-7-5N-5C-5R-Olympus-E-PM1-E-PM2-E-M5-LF7-/150983551309?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item232752294d

I have the WHOLE SERIES  :)  , 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, even tho the silver edition 50mm I received from dino direct needs to modified for infinity focus to work. 

Fujinon B4 Eng lenses are very good

They are fast and have very long par focal zooms

I have a 6.5-92mm f1.4  and a 9-100mm f1.8

both have 2x extenders you can filp in and out

You can shoot a whole film almost on one lens with these

The HD versions are very very sharp

Fujinon B4 Eng lenses are very good

They are fast and have very long par focal zooms

I have a 6.5-92mm f1.4  and a 9-100mm f1.8

both have 2x extenders you can filp in and out

You can shoot a whole film almost on one lens with these

The HD versions are very very sharp

Andy, this almost sounds too good to be true.

Excuse me for being so lazy:

> Can they be adapted without problems? 

> Can the zoom servos be activated, and if, how?

1" lenses should work fine. They don't come cheap though. $600 for the 6mm 1.8.

The B4 lenses are for 2/3" I think. They will work with the 2x extender but you'll also loose two stops of light. They might work in tele withouth the extender. The B4 adapters aren't very cheap either.