Samsung NX1 vs Fujifilm X-T2 vs Nikon D5500 vs Sony a5100 shootout

Inazuma

@Kisaha

The cameras are making their money,

Yep. That's the most important for a pro: making a living out of it. As long as ANY camera - even 10 years old - satisfies you and your clients and makes money for you, why sell it and buy a new one? Buying every year a new camera is for a vast majority of people no necessity, it's simply an expensive obsession driven by bored YT fanboyism and manufacturer speach. There are some people on internet, maundering about the "upcoming 8K" as the absolute new standard beeing the only "future proof" fornat...If you are done with the NX1, use it ill it breaks.

The value of this camera for you as pro is NOT it's resale value. It's the money (and personal satisfaction) you can make with it, while other lunatics spend every cent in the pocket for new gear. At the end of the day, it's you wanting to make a living out of it and not manufacturers and resellers...

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Andrew Reid When I received the camera it had firmware 1.2. After I upgraded it to the latest version and added the hack, the 1080p was a lot better but still full of digital artefacts like aliasing and sharpening. Same goes for the 4k. The 120fps is best in its class but still not really usable for me personally. Actually the whole camera and its image is a steal for the price! But ultimately not for me. With the artefacts, noise reduction, sharpening and colour science, it just wasn't organic enough for me.

I have shot with the D5500 and D750 and their image is really nice. Clean image, great colours. As you say, the handling of the XT2 is quite fiddly but I forgive it for the superb image it gives in 4k. But with a lack of good 1080p60 (for half slow motion), I would need another camera to accommodate it. So ultimately it's not a good choice for me either. In conclusion, I think it's best for me to rent or buy something suited to the project. I don't have any video or photography projects in the works at the moment so I'm just selling everything until I do :) And the RX1R will serve me as a great casual cam for now. 

• Administrators

The 4K looks like a photo to me, it's superb. Sharpness at -10 doesn't entirely give you an image as unsharpened or as natural as it could be, but you can always scale the 4K down to 1080p and then upscale that to 2.5K if you want less digital sharpness.

It's true the D750 is nice and 'creamy' in terms of dynamic range, but the NX1 files clean up if you avoid the harsh clipping of highlights & shadows caused by NLEs and players misreading the 0-255 files. Set it to 16-235 in the NX1 menus.

Don't worry, I was shooting 16-235 :) Anyway dynamic range wasn't my problem.

Like I said, it's a great camera with a great image. My problems with 4k were sharpening, noise reduction and rolling shutter (which most 4k cams are guilty of anyway). My problems with 1080p were aliasing/moire and sharpening. The overall reason why I'm getting rid of both cams is because I don't need them atm and I'd rather rent/buy something suited to the job at the time. The NX1 + 16-50 S would be perfect as a casual camera if I was willing to carry that size with me everywhere, but I realised that I am not.

@Andrew Reid

I appreciate your work and engagement for people shooting with DSLR and mirrorless toys. It was you giving me reasons to buy the NX1 over 1,5 years ago. At that time, I was 15 years old. It was your website and many people here always trying to help and sharing their experience and tips when using "toys".
Before buying the NX1, I shot with normal (smaller sensor) shoulder cameras only, mainly news and short narratives and documentaries (mostly politics and social). Shooting with S35 was a very new experience for me, as I am a practical minded, content driven guy with no or very little interest for fiction. Since then, I shot hundreds of hours of footage with the NX1...Even the German RTL broadcast television buyed some of my NX1 footage and broadcasted 15 seconds in their main newscast (every evening at 18:45 CET)...

Here it is (footage used by RTL), is a image based documentation of a professional nightly  blasting of some old cement towers in Germany. Curiously (and given the quite bad low light capabilities of the NX1 in low contrast lighting situations) that was a night video out of the NX1 they bought in this case. Footage in this YT video of my channel is a combination of NX1 and FZ1000...Daylight sequences are FZ1000 ONLY....Run & Gun, no "artistic" work...

Here is a video, completely shot with the NX1 - a small visualization of a German beach club:

Please consider, I am a "capture the moment" shooter and these videos are over an year old and I gained meanwhile very much experience with a whole bunch of cameras. My personal requirement is capturing decessive moments (interviews, violence, different situations, etc.) and trying to deliver beautiful IQ, good audio, etc. - but the content (information) is my highest requirement.

YOU and many people in this forum were a great help for me and the NX1 was at that time a kind of "springboard", inspiration and motivation for my filmic work. Meanwhile I use the NX1 together with my mom's A6500 many for portable street filmography, long exposure and architectural footage. For more challenging and ambitious work I use S35 or FF pro cameras with very good DR and low light capabilities and serious manufacturer and reseller support & service...

And still...During the past year I sold a bunch of footage to different news agencies, mostly out of the NX1 (footage from Italy, Romania, etc.)...Considering my age and the fact that I visit a gymnasium (so filming & photographing are a kind of spare time hobby, even when selling photos or footage) and the fact that the NX1 is still considered by many "pros" as a "nice toy", this is not bad at all...

You are one of the decissive "NX1 filming pioneers", encouraging people to use it. Thank you again for your great contribution to the "toy filmers" community! :astonished:

DISCLAIMER: Please consider, this is old footage. There are light years of difference to my today's work and personal requirements. Meanwhile I completely stopped generally documenting political day-to-day routine or local events & facilities...

• 5 years later...
On 5/16/2017 at 11:22 PM, Kisaha said:

@mercer I didn't offend anyone and I didn't tell you to "shut up", like you do.

sorry for the language mistake, I am sure your Greeks are worst than my English.

It is kind of childish that I have to prove that I have a bigger show reel than yours (which I do, by the way). 

Take a chill pill first, and if you have any facts to add to the conversation please do, I replied with 5 facts, and you with a personal attack and bullying.

Also, no one needs to know you dislike certain people, you can PM for that.

It is a cameras shoot out with the NX1 which I am using for a lot of years now, I have the right to express my experiences.

Hi Kisaha, remember me? Flip21 from Portugal? :)

People are dumb, Kisaha. People follow a brand even if there are other brands  making better products, and cheaper too. It is crazy. It is like a religion.

Only someone really stupid can not see, how the Nx1 image is superior, in everyway. If you zoom 400% you can see that the NX1 video is much more detailed, and crisp. But these cinematice freaks call it oversharpened image... hilarious!!! Cinematic people love soft, out of focus image. 

I just love to see the NX1'4K video against the Fuji H2' 8k Video. I bet people would be surprised. Well, Fuji fanboys would be in a state of shock... Go Samsung! :)

1 hour ago, flip21 said:

Hi Kisaha, remember me? Flip21 from Portugal? 🙂

People are dumb, Kisaha. People follow a brand even if there are other brands  making better products, and cheaper too. It is crazy. It is like a religion.

Only someone really stupid can not see, how the Nx1 image is superior, in everyway. If you zoom 400% you can see that the NX1 video is much more detailed, and crisp. But these cinematice freaks call it oversharpened image... hilarious!!! Cinematic people love soft, out of focus image. 

I just love to see the NX1'4K video against the Fuji H2' 8k Video. I bet people would be surprised. Well, Fuji fanboys would be in a state of shock... Go Samsung! 🙂

Why are we responding to a 5 1/2 yr old post out of the blue?

7 hours ago, FHDcrew said:

Why are we responding to a 5 1/2 yr old post out of the blue?

?!!? It is 2023. It is my way of saying, happy new christmas. MAybe they should delete all posts from previous years. Maybe we should all delete the past from our existence, right?!??! 

I think I made my self clear. Someone should compare the NX1 4K video, against the all powerfull Fujifilm H2's 8K video. After almost 10 years, The Nx1 is still the best hybrid APS camera around... Eat this, Fuji fanboys!

I bought the NX1 twice over and enjoyed each experience immensely. It was an amazing hybrid, a true hybrid, that quietly but strongly set the standard for what a hybrid body can be. I'm still amazed by how well stills and video from it hold up today, that sensor was special not even counting ergonomics. Both stills and video had a special "3D 'pop'" rendering to it, hard to describe.

But let's not pretend that the video limitations haven't been surpassed by recent releases. Even in Gamma DR, the dynamic range was limited and color just couldn't hold up in any bit of post stretch. Strange pink skintones and milky blacks when you push the limits even with the bitrate hack installed. A shame considering the sensor readout was compared to RED imaging.

I think it's still a great contender for a SOOC apsc hybrid that takes amazing stills, but nothing more when you consider the xh2(s) models have a more malleable file in post, in prores, with better PDAF+eye autofocus..

53 minutes ago, Ty Harper said:

This one still holds up too 😂 

And off topic but his latest poke at Canon and the other cam companies is prob the best one he's done yet, lol...

It is a pitty that because of these brand fanatics, such as Fuji fan boys, Canons fan boys, Sony, Black MAgic, cinematic extremists and such, inovative camera manufactors such as  Samsung, for a period, dont achive success. Despite all the money they invest, and their products being so superior. Now Samsung NX owners are stucked 😞 , because they cannot adapt their gear to any new camera body to come, from other brands. 

Dont forget this video: If i owned a Pro BMC 6K I would be ashamed 😞

1080p crushing 6k?!?!?! Crazy world