Good Lenses to use with KOWA + GH2

Lucian

Hi All,

I'm after some wisdom on putting together a good set of lenses for narrative filmmaking using on the GH2

they must play nice with the KOWA B&H which I beleive can only go down to 50mm. So far I have:

a Helios 44-2

thinking about a minolta MD 35mm 2.8

what else you suggest to give me a good range to shoot an entire short?

Thank you!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The 50mm lens limit is for an APS-C sensor, i think you'll find that M43 is more like 35/40mm min with the Kowa.

Russian lenses are a good match as they have simple lens recipes & are cheap (quality/condition varies though).

Tair 11a - 135 f2.8 (not really necessary if you're using M43 - it'll be too telephoto)

Jupiter 9 - 85mm f2

Helios 44-2 - 58mm f2 (get the pre-set aperture one)

Mir 1B - 37mm f2.8

If not Super Takumars work v.well, but are small & can get overwhelmed by the Kowa.

Also remember the 1.5/2m min focus distance, but if you have a good spread of lenses it won't matter too much - a weak diopter would be handy, but are quite rare at the moment (look for the Tokina +0.5 or if you've got the cash the +0.4 doublet or if Redstan has any left his Angenieux +0.25).

I use the Minolta 35mm f/2.8, that's as wide as you can go, it might vignette a bit in the extreme corners, but doesn't show in every shot.

Here's some footage on the GH2 with Minolta 35mm f/2.8, 50mm f/1.7, 100mm f/2.5 and the Kowa B&H.

The Minolta's are cheap to find, it's easy to collect a whole set like that :)

https://vimeo.com/53787515

Great advice.

Julian, yes I have checked out your footage, that is why I was thinking of getting the minolta.

Although i may go with the MIR 24 just to keep some consistency by using all russian glass.

Your footage looks great, it has a very 70s feel.  I'm going to mull it over on which wide lens to get

but its either the minolta 35 or the MIR 24 :)