Should I buy a Samsung NX1 now May 2017???

Henry Silvestriz

Arikhan, I really don't understand you. ISO is just a feature of camera processing for many cameras (but Canon, which uses analog amplification, hence the problem in pulling ISO from ISO 100). Then, certain sensors are better used at base ISO (and then pulled in post), others are better when used at the ISO which allows the correct exposure.

I'm just stating that NX1 belongs to the former cathegory. Much better to shoot ISO 100 (even getting black pictures) and then pull shadows in post, than using ISO 3200+ in camera.

If you don't believe in me...no problem :) I never take anything personal, especially on forums. You can test by yourself if you have a NX1 and if you are willing to do so.

btw...there is nothing preventing you to shoot ISO 100 in any lighting condition, provided that you use the correct setting for the display (I can't remember its title right now). This allows you to see in the display the image as if the light would be enough. The resulting picture will be dark (to very dark). Then...no problem, you can pull in post (up to +5EV in LT, making an ISO 100 picture like it were an ISO 3200 one, but then you can also selectively rise shadows, actually obtaining much more than that figure and...where it is really needed). Of course, if you have to shoot ISO 10.000, NX1 is NOT for you anyway. NX1 is good/decent up to ISO 6400. ISO 10.000 would be overkill for it, as it is for your D500.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yep. Exactly. This is the key sentence:

"One of the reasons is that by brightening the exposure in post, you can selectively brighten some areas and leave others darker. "

Of course nx1 is not even mentioned. It doesn't exist for 99.9% of "common" ppl out there.

And it's probably the most iso invariant camera, thx to its low nm bsi copper based sensor.

P.s. the mode name for the display is "framing mode".

@Marco Tecno + @MountneerMan

Guys...I KNOW about ISO invariance and use it excessively...I believe, you don't get the point: In challenging situations with fast moving subjects ("sports" aka needed 1/1000s shutter and not ideal lighting//illumination), you CAN'T shoot with ISO 100...In many cases I have to shoot even with ISO 6.400 and more, even with a FF camera. Eg.: Horse sports in indoor arenas, basketball, etc.

These are challenging scenarios with NO chance for shooting with ISO 100...When you shoot in such situations, ISO invariance is quite useless. And these are the situations, where the NX1 completely fails...Completely...

@Marco Tecno

Talking about AF aquisition of the NX1 for fast subjects moving: I owned the 1DX till end 2016 and shoot also with the 7D and 7D m2. Overall, the NX1 might be better in keepers as the 7D (and that in good light only) - but no chance to get the keeper rate of the 1DX and 7D m2 (even in good light)...And the Nikon D500 (I don't own it, but shot with it a few times) wishes the floor with it...
That's only about speaking of the NX1 as a "baby 1DX"...Nope...Never ever...The NX1 is a wonderful camera and has many strengths...but it is NOT what I call a sports camera...Shooting twice a year a biker coming toward you in ideal lighting conditions doesn't qualify a device as sports camera...

A sport camera is not "spray and pray" but you need a 100% reliable AF in every condition...And here is the weak point of EVERY mirrorless camera...By far not as much keepers as when using top sport DSLRs...When shooting sports with high requirements , the NX1 isn't as good as in some owners phantasy...Excepting the case you consider chess as demanding sports... :grin:

amb.jpg

I still can't get why you can't shoot iso 100 in certain situations. What prevents you from doing this?

As to af...check the pics I posted of bicycle race on dpr. The bikes were running towards me, that's the most challenging situation for af. They were blazing fast (about 50km/h). Yet...almost 100% keepers.

• 1 month later...

I jumped ship, sold my NX1 16-50S & 50-150S. I purchased the a7ii (returned it, I really like 4k recording and this didn't have it), a6500 (still have it, I love the eye AF but the camera is just too small for my hands) and tried the a7rii (returned it, picture quality was good but camera operation was too slow).  I am really thinking about purchasing the NX1 again as the only reason i sold it was because I was afraid that if I needed service, no one could repair it. I loved everything about the NX1 the operation, handling and the picture color/quality. The NX1 was easier to take photos with. Also, I can't afford Sony's 2.8 lenses.  So I'm also trying to decide to if I should buy the NX1 again.

On 7/10/2017 at 10:54 PM, andre2you said:

I jumped ship, sold my NX1 16-50S & 50-150S. I purchased the a7ii (returned it, I really like 4k recording and this didn't have it), a6500 (still have it, I love the eye AF but the camera is just too small for my hands) and tried the a7rii (returned it, picture quality was good but camera operation was too slow).  I am really thinking about purchasing the NX1 again as the only reason i sold it was because I was afraid that if I needed service, no one could repair it. I loved everything about the NX1 the operation, handling and the picture color/quality. The NX1 was easier to take photos with. Also, I can't afford Sony's 2.8 lenses.  So I'm also trying to decide to if I should buy the NX1 again.

I did the same thing, over the course of about 13 months sold my set up and went to an A6300, then to the A6500 for IBIS and no over heating, then went to the A7Sii but couldn't deal with the awful AF so went back to A6500, just to end up going back to the NX1. 

11 hours ago, Marco Tecno said:

So many ppl don't understand how good the NX1 is and are taken over by the "frenzy" of selling it due to Samsung's quitting.

IMO the NX1 should be preserved as the best hybrid available, even after almost 3 years.

I didn't understand it! I'm kicking myself every day.....  Now it looks like I'm going to have buy from a South Korean on-line store to get the setup that I had........... Argh!!!!!!

On 13.7.2017 at 6:41 PM, bdiamond said:

I did the same thing, over the course of about 13 months sold my set up and went to an A6300, then to the A6500 for IBIS and no over heating, then went to the A7Sii but couldn't deal with the awful AF so went back to A6500, just to end up going back to the NX1. 

Sometimes you just do not know how good hardware you have until you gotten rid of it. 
I have yet to see any camera with the same price tag of the NX1 that has hardware to match, none. Sony A7sII and the A7rII are twice the price tag the NX1 was, these cameras still lack in consistency whereas the NX1 got it right and even Samsung willing to update the camera. There still third party manufacturers out there still making batteries, adapters and whatnot. Amazing really, you can still find brand new lenses for half the price on the internet, I just bought the 12-24mm, its brilliant! Sure its not F2.8 but it gets the job done and quality is there, I have a hard time finding Nikkor or Cannon glass equally good for the same price.

On 7/15/2017 at 7:54 AM, SMGJohn said:

Sometimes you just do not know how good hardware you have until you gotten rid of it. 
I have yet to see any camera with the same price tag of the NX1 that has hardware to match, none. Sony A7sII and the A7rII are twice the price tag the NX1 was, these cameras still lack in consistency whereas the NX1 got it right and even Samsung willing to update the camera. There still third party manufacturers out there still making batteries, adapters and whatnot. Amazing really, you can still find brand new lenses for half the price on the internet, I just bought the 12-24mm, its brilliant! Sure its not F2.8 but it gets the job done and quality is there, I have a hard time finding Nikkor or Cannon glass equally good for the same price.

Yep, I was afraid of this very occurrence myself. So many NX1 pros I respect, and in some cases were responsible for turning me on to the NX1 jumped ship not long after Samsung sort of vanished. I still can't find an official statement from Samsung on closing the market in North America, if anyone has that please share it with me. I'm talking official statements from Samsung, not speculative articles. Their US based website STILL advertises most of their NX cameras, and lens lineup.

First it was the Sony A6300/6500 hype which honestly didn't last very long due to Sony's notorious overheating issues, which quickly reared it's ugly head. In a manner of weeks I saw very excited users reduced to pulling out their hair at the end of it. Now the new wave is all about the GH5 and Fuji. And although some features of the GH5 sounds absolutely tempting, at the end of the day it's m4/3 and that's a hard sell for me and my purposes. I need to do some more research on Fuji.

I've held on to my NX1 since I purchased the system in late 2014 and I'm happy I haven't fallen for the hype because I've witnessed a lot of people jumping ship, yet holding onto and still quietly using their NX1s to this day. I know it's serving my and my client's needs, and seem perfectly satisfied with it's output. I feel "if it's not broken, why fix it"?

I think generally, many of us are easily dazzled by the latest shiny gadgets, and these manufactures understand this. I believe the NX1 was an experiment on Samsung's part, a "one off" if you will, backed by their insane R&D powerhouse. I think generally Samsung has been a bit underestimated everywhere around the world besides South Korea, and definitely within the photo/video industry at the time of the NX500/1's debut. However, to my eyes they are one of the top companies leading the charge in innovation with the capitol to back it up 10-fold.

As big as Canon and Nikon are as household names in the photo/video industry, Samsung as a brand, and as a whole company towers over them and most others. It's not hard for me to understand how capable they are that they could release a camera in 2014 that stills holds up almost 4 years later. Nor is it a surprise to me how some have regretted selling their NX gear because of the fear of becoming obsolete and irrelevant, and the impulse to posses the latest badge of honor. Yet, even in the face of buying back into a seemingly dead system, they still want their NX gear back. That's a pretty strong testament. I hope when the next "NX1" comes along the industry takes it more seriously.  

I think in a couple years we're going to see something revolutionary and ahead of it's time, like the NX1, which I feel will actually justify buying into that new system. I just don't feel there's been that huge of a leap in features to price point in the current offerings. It's as if the technology curve has crept incrementally. That's not a stab at the GH5 or Fuji, or Sony and the rest. It's just a peek into value vs. cost. The NX1 has spoiled many of us in this regard. 

I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say you can find cheap deals on Samsung NX1 products. The prices I see online are almost doubled what they were when the camera was first released. I saw an S lens for roughly $3,000 USD on Amazon tonight. That certainly wasn't the retail price 3 years ago, it was much less if memory serves me right.

This is a recent article on the front page of this site: "Nikon struggling to match Samsung NX500 stills quality with 2 year head start".

For a reminder, this petition is still receiving signatures to this day, almost 2 years later:
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/samsung-keep-nx-alive

31 minutes ago, andre2you said:

I have a new reason to get back in the Samsung NX1 boat,  Apples new OS now supports H.265, yeah..... I'm running the beta OS and it's working perfectly, I can now playback my old mp4's without issue.

Great news! Any word on FCPX? Can you edit H.265 natively?

On 18.7.2017 at 11:26 AM, Matthew Hartman said:

I don't know what you guys are talking about when you say you can find cheap deals on Samsung NX1 products. The prices I see online are almost doubled what they were when the camera was first released. I saw an S lens for roughly $3,000 USD on Amazon tonight. That certainly wasn't the retail price 3 years ago, it was much less if memory serves me right.

This is a recent article on the front page of this site: "Nikon struggling to match Samsung NX500 stills quality with 2 year head start".

For a reminder, this petition is still receiving signatures to this day, almost 2 years later:
https://www.ipetitions.com/petition/samsung-keep-nx-alive

You just need to look in the right places, eBay, AliExpress smaller local sites, camera stores still stocking up lenses etc. 
I actually just recently found Ex-Pro batteries which are made in UK and not in China, these have quality and sometimes offer BETTER capacity than original batteries, I bought 3 of them with 2660mAh for the same price I paid for my spare one after it was lost/stolen. 

The 12-24mm lens I paid 400 dollars for brand new straight from Korea, now keep it mind it was almost 700 dollars in Europe at the time NX1 was new. Nikon and Canon lenses are not far from that original price tag either with their equivalents, a real shame if you ask me. 

And there is sold Samsung NX cameras even NX1 and NX500 and lenses here in the local used market all the time for silly prices, I saw the NX1 including both the S lenses the 16-50mm and the 50-200mm for roughly 1860 dollars, that is pretty much a steal specially in the way it looked, almost no sign of abuse etc.

So again, look in the right places and you will find what you are looking for used or new, frankly I rarely buy new lenses because I am not made of gold coins. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Lucky me, just bought a nx1+16-50s combo for 1.350 euro, including a good UV Hoya filter, Patona charger pack, 2 more Patona batteries and still some warranty on body and lens.

I'm really enjoying my purchase, after having had a nx300 (broken) and a nx500 (replacement of the previous one).

Now that i have finally the combo, i'm thinking of selling all my prime lenses. I really feel myself complete with this combo. Maybe the 30mm for street can still stay with me.