Should I buy a Samsung NX1 now May 2017???

Henry Silvestriz

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Henry Silvestriz

Depends, if you can find a great combo with the 16-50S, then I say it will be great for the next few years, and cheaper than the new future cameras (as you see the flagship models are reaching 2000$ territory body only).

If you like to have the best and the latest, then wait for the next Fuji or Sony (the next ones, not the current ones), or buy the GH5.

Definitely NX1 is a peek to the future, unbelievable ergonomics, battery life, H265 codec, some excellent and cheap lenses (fish eye, 30mm + 45mm).

If you add more info about your intended use, we may be more helpful

@Santiago de la Rosa 

If you have NX500 and you know what it is, then you would find NX1 just amazing. Completely different cameras though, the one is a pro hybrid, the other ain't!

@Henry Silvestriz Perfect then! I believe NX1 is a true (probably the first) hybrid. 28 megapixels APS-C BSI sensor, fast operation, unbelievable ergonomics, great H265 video that won't fill your cards and/or hard drives immediately. Couple it with a few great lenses and you are set.

Only thing that considers me is that the 50-150mm is still expensive, and not readily available, and it would be probably great for such a trip.

The 16-50 and the rest of the lenses are normal to low cost solutions.

You, again, have to be aware that these are going to be your "last" NX buys, if you spend too much, then you are probably not going to gain that much back, but the camera is good to go for a few more years near the top. Look at it as a lease plan!

Other solutions are the Nikon D7200 (not that good on video), and the new X-T20 maybe.

@MountneerMan GH5 is a lot worst in the photo department, and a6500 is worst in most (ergonomics, battery life, terrible user interface, gimmick touch screen features, and a ton other) issues. The GH5 costs a lot more anyway. The usual deal now with the NX1s - that most people buy - are a NX1 with a 16-50S and a few more extras (external chargers, extra batteries, or whatever) that goes for around 1500$ or less. If you can find one for less than that, and/or in very good condition, then it is further away that any other top camera right now.

It is a dead system, it can be problematic, for some it is a great chance to own a very futuristic great camera for a little money. I wouldn't propose this camera light hearted to anyone, on the other hand it is just a great experience and for specific purposes, needs, and people, it can be a great bargain!

Personally, I will be waiting for the next generation, as the current ones not ticking all the boxes for my impression of a great hybrid APS-C camera. GH5 is a great, no-nonsense, camera and Panasonic right now is the most tempting, but I am an APS-C (S35) fun, and I am not changing any time soon.

13 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

@MountneerMan GH5 is a lot worst in the photo department, and a6500 is worst in most (ergonomics, battery life, terrible user interface, gimmick touch screen features, and a ton other) issues.

I have not read anywhere that would indicate the GH5 is that much worse than the NX1 and the a6500 is pretty good in all the areas you mentioned.

14 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

The GH5 costs a lot more anyway. The usual deal now with the NX1s - that most people buy - are a NX1 with a 16-50S and a few more extras (external chargers, extra batteries, or whatever) that goes for around 1500$ or less. If you can find one for less than that, and/or in very good condition, then it is further away that any other top camera right now.

I didn't know you could get that good of a deal on an NX1.

1 hour ago, Kisaha said:

It is a dead system, it can be problematic, for some it is a great chance to own a very futuristic great camera for a little money. I wouldn't propose this camera light hearted to anyone, on the other hand it is just a great experience and for specific purposes, needs, and people, it can be a great bargain!

Personally, I will be waiting for the next generation, as the current ones not ticking all the boxes for my impression of a great hybrid APS-C camera. GH5 is a great, no-nonsense, camera and Panasonic right now is the most tempting, but I am an APS-C (S35) fun, and I am not changing any time soon.

That is my exact point. If you are looking at buying a camera right now and you currently do not have anything invested in samsung I would NOT recommend the NX1 or NX500. Even if the NX1 has a slight advantage over other cameras I don't think that slight advantage warrants buying into a dead system.

I really didnt mean to start a discussion over what camera is better at what I was just wanted to state my opinion on what I think the OP should do.

Ultimately a good camera is a good camera and I highly doubt the OP is going to think after the fact "Oh I wish I got the NX1 instead of a GH5 because the photo quality is just not good enough on the GH5" But I definitely could see the OP wanting to pick-up some accessories for their new camera and thinking man It sucks no being able to buy more batteries or lens from every camera store in the world.

Another point to be made about buying into a dead system is currently the community for NX1 right now is not going to get any better than it is now(Which dont get me wrong I love you guys... in a purely platonic way ;)). On the other hand the GH5 community is just getting started. In 2-3 months from now there are going to be dozens of full length 8+hour camera tutorials from everyone and their dog.

@MountneerMan I am not going to discuss about different cameras, you know - I know, it is a really long conversation (NX is APS-C 28megapixels BSI sensor, while GH5 is 20mgpxls m43, I do not see them being equal at all. The things I mentioned in Sony are absolutely true and tested, and I can add more if you'd like!), and I mentioned in all my posts here that NX is a dead camera, I thought we are all (or, mostly!) adults here and know what a "dead system" means.

I already went that far as to propose a D7200 and X-T20, and said good things about GH5, but if people were always following the easiest and most common option then humanity would be still eating rotten animals from the ground and collecting fruits from the trees.

In 2-3 months there will be the new Sony camera, and 2-3 months after that the new Panasonic, and 2-3 months after that the new Nikon mirrorless we all were hoping, and 2-3 months after that the new - at last - Canon mirrorless M Pro etc etc

In a year there will be at least 3-5 cameras equally intriguing - or more, than the GH5 and the 8 hour tutorials will be dead space.

And most camera stores in the world, go bankrupt anyway.

In my country Samsung abandoned the camera business before most places, NX300/NX3000 were the last releases, and now look at me, have 3 NX cameras, numerous lenses, they even bring some money to help me build the next system, wherever I see a true APS-C hybrid really as innovative and forward thinking as NX1 was. Do not forget, people changed 2 or even 3 systems since abandoning NX out of fear. Ours are still working, and still servicing (for how much, I do not know, there are still cameras in warranty though, and new ones).

As of batteries, I have never used more than 2 batteries (I have 3), and I am talking about a full day of video, or thousands of pictures. Plus you can connect a USB charger anytime you want. I got your point, just saying though!

People are still interested in NX1:

1) it is still relevant technologically and pragmatically

2) there are bargains that you can get NX1 for very cheap (as low as 650euros with the 30mm pancake in Sweden and 1200$ with the 16-50S in the States, and brand new in Australia, Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany, UK, US for much less than 900$/pounds/euros, sometimes including the S lens in some specific sales, unfortunately I wasn't able to catch such a bargain).

For someone that do not want to change camera in a few years time, and find a good deal, he can spend as much as some expensive large sensored compacts cost (those are already obsolete as well, aren't they?) and have one of the best crop HYBRIDS ever made (50% photo/ 50% video).

Have you used one? What system do you own right now?

P.S NX is a dead system, you really can't go anywhere else from here, but remember back then Fuji had the X-T1 16megapxls, and debatable if and how better is the new X-T2 from the NX1. Just saved almost 3000euros because I DIDN'T buy the Fuji back then!

These are from the cheap series,

the 16-50pz is very small - good for video because of the zoom in/out buttons, OIS, sample variation applies greatly but usually is much better than Sony offerings. Good and small all arounder, good (very light) for gimbal work. I use it with NX1 on Ronin. Approximately 150euros used, preferably 120.

12-24, very sharp, very light, the only ultra wide zoom option any way. I like it a lot. The build quality is questionable. Back then it was one of the best of its kind. The 10-24 4f Fuji is the better such lens right now (double the price). Canon M 11-22 is equally good and cheap. Approximately 350euros used, preferably 280.

50-200 is a great lens for its class. All the copies I have used were surprisingly good, I have even used' em for night performances video covering indoors. Longer NX lens anyway. Not that good at the longer end. Approximately 250euros used, preferably 200.

The cost estimations are the maximum prices I would pay for each.

All these are quite good and I own them, but the NX system shines with the better ones, and especially the S lenses (16-50 and 50-150). The 30mm 2f (very slow AF though), 45mm 1.8f (fast focusing!), 60mm 2.8f macro (good for portraits as well), excellent 85mm 1.4f (dreamy like!) and my favorite fish eye 10mm 3.5f. Also the cheap ones are a bit slow (aperture wise), it could be problematic for high ISO video (and this is the greatest NX disadvantage!).

How much for the whole kit?

@Henry Silvestriz

Well, it's a hard decision because discontinued...but still outstanding - not only as video device (in good light - and when using non-Samsung lenses - it outranges the 5d m3 mostly when talking photo IQ)

wetzdom.jpg

When keeping it at low ISOs, you will get outstanding results and very beautiful (natural/realistic) colors...In daylight, it has a fantastic DR (photo only, please consider - film DR is worse than most current cameras)...

It's a pity, that it can't do wireless TTL/HSS - I would have liked to work with more strobes for sophisticated "lighting concerts" with it... (Image is OOC-JPEG, without any correction - only cropped down to 1.000px horizontal)

@Marco Tecno

Arikhan: for low light, try to shoot it at iso 100 raw, and raise shadows in post. Much better than high iso.

After over 1 Million photos with Canon (and now Nikon) FF I know the techniques (BTW: the photo above is ISO200)...But for my photography (moving subjects in low light) I need minimum 1/250s shutter and high ISO. No chance for the NX1. I love it because it's versatile, reliable and has good ergonomics. But - in stills - it's far away from the best existent FF cameras. In good light it's comparable with the Nikon D7200...

eg: Some people say, it's like "an APSC version" of the Canon 1DX...NO, it isn't - that's simply fanboy speach. People who claim this, have never shot with a 1DX or a comparable Nikon...In challenging situations without a chance for a second re-take and when you need AF accuracy even in lower light, the NX1 is FAR behind existing DSLRs. There is NO mirrorless cam at the moment touching the AF speed and accuracy of top DSLRs for moving subjects and low light, completely independent of the lens (F/x) used...

I shot sports NX1 vs Nikon D500 --> in best daylight. NO chance for the NX1...The D500 has about 30 percent more keepers...and focusses even in a dark cave...

BTW: Since 2010 I shoot (for serious work) RAW only or RAW+JPEG...

15 hours ago, Kisaha said:

@MountneerMan I am not going to discuss about different cameras, you know - I know, it is a really long conversation (NX is APS-C 28megapixels BSI sensor, while GH5 is 20mgpxls m43, I do not see them being equal at all. The things I mentioned in Sony are absolutely true and tested, and I can add more if you'd like!), and I mentioned in all my posts here that NX is a dead camera, I thought we are all (or, mostly!) adults here and know what a "dead system" means.

I already went that far as to propose a D7200 and X-T20, and said good things about GH5, but if people were always following the easiest and most common option then humanity would be still eating rotten animals from the ground and collecting fruits from the trees.

In 2-3 months there will be the new Sony camera, and 2-3 months after that the new Panasonic, and 2-3 months after that the new Nikon mirrorless we all were hoping, and 2-3 months after that the new - at last - Canon mirrorless M Pro etc etc

In a year there will be at least 3-5 cameras equally intriguing - or more, than the GH5 and the 8 hour tutorials will be dead space.

And most camera stores in the world, go bankrupt anyway.

In my country Samsung abandoned the camera business before most places, NX300/NX3000 were the last releases, and now look at me, have 3 NX cameras, numerous lenses, they even bring some money to help me build the next system, wherever I see a true APS-C hybrid really as innovative and forward thinking as NX1 was. Do not forget, people changed 2 or even 3 systems since abandoning NX out of fear. Ours are still working, and still servicing (for how much, I do not know, there are still cameras in warranty though, and new ones).

As of batteries, I have never used more than 2 batteries (I have 3), and I am talking about a full day of video, or thousands of pictures. Plus you can connect a USB charger anytime you want. I got your point, just saying though!

People are still interested in NX1:

1) it is still relevant technologically and pragmatically

2) there are bargains that you can get NX1 for very cheap (as low as 650euros with the 30mm pancake in Sweden and 1200$ with the 16-50S in the States, and brand new in Australia, Switzerland, Netherlands, Germany, UK, US for much less than 900$/pounds/euros, sometimes including the S lens in some specific sales, unfortunately I wasn't able to catch such a bargain).

For someone that do not want to change camera in a few years time, and find a good deal, he can spend as much as some expensive large sensored compacts cost (those are already obsolete as well, aren't they?) and have one of the best crop HYBRIDS ever made (50% photo/ 50% video).

Have you used one? What system do you own right now?

P.S NX is a dead system, you really can't go anywhere else from here, but remember back then Fuji had the X-T1 16megapxls, and debatable if and how better is the new X-T2 from the NX1. Just saved almost 3000euros because I DIDN'T buy the Fuji back then!

Again I did not mean to start a whole thing with anyone about what camera is better or how good the NX1 at what I was merely just trying to state my opinion to the OP and answer his question "Should I buy a Samsung NX1 now May 2017?".

To answer your question I currently only own two camera an NX1 and a Sony a6000 that I got for really cheep and hardly ever use but wanted a smaller compact camera mostly for photos. The NX1 is an absolutely FANTASTIC camera and I love it. I am not going to be selling it anytime soon if ever and likely wont be buying a new A camera any time soon but that still does not mean I would recommend someone invest in the NX system at this point.

When I bought my NX1 I borrowed a GH4 and an NX1 for about week each and decided on getting the NX1 over the GH4 as it was a better camera. Now I dont think it should be a surprise that if I did the same thing today with the GH5 and the NX1 the GH5 would win with 4k 60fps and 10 bit 4:2:2 and 180 fps 1080(and before you ask yes I have had the pleasure of playing around with the GH5 a few weeks ago). 

As a side note I gotta stop writing posts on threads of this nature because the fan boys are too quick to jump on anyone who even just hints at the fact the NX1 might not the best camera ever made.

15 hours ago, Henry Silvestriz said:

Are these lenses good? I know earlier Kisaha recommended the 50-150mm, but I found a camera that comes with those 3.

• 16-50mm f/3.5-5.6
  • 12-24mm f/4-5.6
  • 50-200mm f/4-5.6

Never used the 16-50 f3.5-5.6 I own the 16-50 f/2-2.8 lens and its fantastic. I love that is goes to f2 at 16mm it really adds to its versatility.

Also never used the 12-24 f4-5.6 for the same reason as above and rarely want to shoot wider than 16mm

I own the 50-200 and its a great lens upto about 150mm beyond that it gets pretty soft quickly. still usable but I find you can get more detail by pulling out a little bit to ~150 and then cropping in post. of course this is not always an option like if you are filming in slow mo at 1080 or if we need alot of reach and want to goto 200mm and then crop on top of that.

The 30mm f2 prime is also a great lens that is worth looking into as well. it has a nice normal focal length its fast at f2 with nice bokeh and really small and light. I love this lens for walking around on the streets.

Is the NX1 a great camera? Absolutely. Is it still competitive in 2017? In some areas surprisingly yes. Should someone with no investment in NX gear and no need for NX1 specific features (really only h.265 comes to mind here) buy one in 2017? No way, Jose.

No warranties, no repairs, no replacements. Any money you're putting in now you will never get back. EVEN IF the NX1 was the best camera ever made I still wouldn't recommend buying one now, unless you can find one with lens for really stupidly cheap.

That being said, would I trade my NX gear for a GH5 or a6500? Heck no lol.

4 hours ago, Arikhan said:

@Marco Tecno

After over 1 Million photos with Canon (and now Nikon) FF I know the techniques (BTW: the photo above is ISO200)...But for my photography (moving subjects in low light) I need minimum 1/250s shutter and high ISO. No chance for the NX1. I love it because it's versatile, reliable and has good ergonomics. But - in stills - it's far away from the best existent FF cameras. In good light it's comparable with the Nikon D7200...

eg: Some people say, it's like "an APSC version" of the Canon 1DX...NO, it isn't - that's simply fanboy speach. People who claim this, have never shot with a 1DX or a comparable Nikon...In challenging situations without a chance for a second re-take and when you need AF accuracy even in lower light, the NX1 is FAR behind existing DSLRs. There is NO mirrorless cam at the moment touching the AF speed and accuracy of top DSLRs for moving subjects and low light, completely independent of the lens (F/x) used...

I shot sports NX1 vs Nikon D500 --> in best daylight. NO chance for the NX1...The D500 has about 30 percent more keepers...and focusses even in a dark cave...

BTW: Since 2010 I shoot (for serious work) RAW only or RAW+JPEG...

Sorry, but NX1 is a totally different camera from any Canon. Totally. You shoot ISO 100 with canon and push the shadows in post? TOTAL NOISE. You do the same with NX1? Much better results than native high ISO. Of course I'm not saying the NX1 is on par or better than 1DX MK2. It's 1 stop behind in noise level, but has 8MP more. And if you shoot ISO 100 even in low light and push in post...you'll be amazed. Even with 1/250 or higher.

AF is another thing. Mirrorless are way different than DSLR in AF technique. I have read so many posts like yours (about D500 having more keepers). Simply...and sorry to say that, you don't use the right technique with NX1. Again, I'm not saying NX1 is on par or better with D500 in AF. Again, it has more MP and a totally different focusing system. you need to know exactly how it works to make the best out of it. And yet, from time to time it misses focus, but...believe in me, I have improved 500% my keepers rate with practice. Now, when I shoot some sports like bicicle races, basketball or tennis, I have near 100% keepers, something I never achieved with any other system.

Of course, I'm referring to NX1 + 16-50S or, even better, 50-150S.

@Marco Tecno

You shoot only 100 ISO (+x EV in post)? Wow...I thought that was a DPReview only skill...When shooting sports, I have to shoot sometimes ISO 10.000 with FF...I didn't know, that this is possible with the NX1 - with "nearly" 100% keepers... :grin:

There are some possibilities to explain this:

• You have a NX1-"Special edition"
  • I don't own any NX1-talent, I have to learn to "properly operate my camera" 
  • Only untalented, dumb photogs/filmers shoot with higher ISO than 100
  • BBF / Tracking AF and sports shooting were invented by S A M S U N G - the mass of lemmings shooting sports with CanoNikon / Sony is simply ignorant
  • The focussing capabilities for fast moving subjects of mirrorless devices is by far better than DSLRs (sic)

Thank you for sharing your knowledge, it was very educative for me. :astonished:

BTW: Blind fanboyism and exagerated "enthusiasm" destroy every basic principle of a serious discussion and misleads interested users...But hey, that's internet...