Gimbal in carry on or checked bag?

Redmoon_Monkey

This will be a US domestic flight only. I'll be carrying my camera backpack as my carry on and it has a side pocket large enough for my gimbal (no case). While I don't think I'll be using it I think it might be easier to explain what it is if I carry it on me than leaving it in the checked bag and being called later by security to go in and explain. Without a camera mounted on it, it does look like a weird device and even a little suspicious to people who'd never seen one. I don't travel by plane that much so this will be my first time with such a thing.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I don't think they would flag it for being a weird looking device. But if you do check it in, you might need to put the batteries in your carry on. I'm not sure how it is in the US for domestic flights, but some airlines don't like batteries in checked luggage these days. 

I have taken my drone on a lot of flights and kind of expected them to ask me about it, but they never did. 

No problem with TSA and the gimbal. They don't care. I travel all the time with all sort of drones and gimbals, worst case scenario TSA will "swipe" your device and battery for explosive detection.

That being said, looks like the flights to Europe are going to get impacted by the stupid electronic ban.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/05/10/reports-airline-laptop-electronics-ban-could-extended-europe/101522824/

Thanks for all the advice. I'll go ahead and pack it in my carry on and making sure all batteries are in there too. I'm quite excited about the trip since the last big trip I took was over 5 years ago. I want to vlog the plane trip with good footage but I'm too self conscious to walk around with a camera on a gimbal. I think I'll just stick with my cell phone for this. Thanks again.

• Super Members

I took one of these cheap shoulder/chest mounts on a flight a few weeks ago and when its folded for travel it looks uncannily like the sort of sub machine gun the French military use.

Because I had so little space in my bag I had to lay it side down as well so in profile from the top down view of the x ray machine it looked exactly like one!

So you can imagine my anxiety putting it through.

They pulled the bag but not because of the massive gun shaped object but went off their tits because I'd left a travel size tube of toothpaste in there.

I'm always amazed at the inconsistency between airports though about what they want you to take out separately. When I fly out of Spain I have to take absolutely every camera, lens and battery out to go through separately for no apparent reason as I hardly think ThinkTank have started lining their bags with lead so the x ray machine can't penetrate it. Yet flying back anywhere from the UK I have yet to find enough electronics that I can jam in a bag that fazes them. And believe me, I've tried. 

"Been buying every lithium ion battery that Amazon sell have we sir? No problem. Just make sure there's no toothpaste in there"

Makes me think they make it up as they go along.

shoulder.jpg

Just say nothing TSA had a 95% failure rate during recent undercover tests nation wide all major airports  Department of Homeland Security was able to get fake bombs, weapons and my favorite they thought Claymore anit-personnel mine was a lunch box and it got on a plane. 

claymore-mine.jpg

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:51 AM, OliKMIA said:

No problem with TSA and the gimbal. They don't care. I travel all the time with all sort of drones and gimbals, worst case scenario TSA will "swipe" your device and battery for explosive detection.

That being said, looks like the flights to Europe are going to get impacted by the stupid electronic ban.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2017/05/10/reports-airline-laptop-electronics-ban-could-extended-europe/101522824/

I think they should require people who fly to travel in their underwear and wear leg irons and handcuffs behind their backs while on the plane.

It should make it easier to remove people from the flight is the aircrew needs a seat for one of their buddies at short notice as well.

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 0:34 PM, enny said:

Just say nothing TSA had a 95% failure rate during recent undercover tests nation wide all major airports  Department of Homeland Security was able to get fake bombs, weapons and my favorite they thought Claymore anit-personnel mine was a lunch box and it got on a plane. 

claymore-mine.jpg

I like how they have to actually write "front toward enemy" on the thing, lol. 

Do troops sometimes use them with the business end pointed towards themselves?