Improving GH5 colour - comparison with 5D3 RAW

hyalinejim

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
5 minutes ago, hyalinejim said:

I white balanced from the colorchecker passport WB target in direct sun at noon. It's almost identical to the daylight preset.

Thank you.

Can you tell me, please, what did you do with this tiff   files: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B1exEpCRAfgFdi1FZ3hma09YZms in terms of color correction?

is it  VLOG straigh from the camera, or you apply any CC? Just download your  VLog to ML colour.cube and try to put on tiff files, but no effects.

Thank you again! I`m thinking about gh5 after your footage!

Those tiffs are exported directly from the VLog files. The lut I posted only makes small changes to hue and saturation. You have to add contrast and adjust saturation after the lut is applied. Or try some Arri luts on top of my lut.

Just take your tiffs and apply Lumetri Color in AE 

cZ58ucp.jpg

zGuZwnd.jpg

dpqAHOh.jpg

For my eyes looks less filmic than author grading examples but really natural and good for documental work

1 minute ago, hyalinejim said:

Those tiffs are exported directly from the VLog files. The lut I posted only makes small changes to hue and saturation. You have to add contrast and adjust saturation after the lut is applied. Or try some Arri luts on top of my lut.

Got it! Did you upload final grading LUT? Is it possible? I really like how it looks

In Lumetri, try my lut in the basic tab and an arri lut in the creative tab.

In my original video each shot has a slightly different treatment, using my VLog to Ml lut followed by variants of a Magic Lantern to Ektar 100 lut I posted earlier:

I never see anyone mention this, but Panasonic actually has a Varicam LUT that can be applied to properly convert V-Log footage to Rec. 709.  I think its a really nice starting place for grading footage, and it will properly transform V-Log into the Rec. 709 colorspace.   I see a lot of people grade by just applying custom S-curves or contrast to their Log footage with great results, but I'm a big fan of getting your camera data into the proper color space.  I think its especially helpful for people new to color grading, since it gets them into a more recognizable starting place.

The Arri LUT generator tool is also pretty cool especially for generating LUTs with soft roll-offs for shadows and highlights,. Your starting place is a bit off I think compared to Panasonic's LUT, but it's totally workable.

They're both free and worth checking out:

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/varicam/35/dl.html

http://www.arri.com/camera/alexa/tools/lut_generator/lut_generator/

For those interested, Camera Labs put out some really nice ungraded footage to test these LUTs in their review of the GH5.

5 hours ago, hyalinejim said:

My lut is specifically designed to emulate the colour offered by Magic Lantern RAW, debayered by ACR, with the Cinelog DCP profile applied. The Panasonic lut is not.

My bad Hyalinejim.   I was not trying to specifically reply to you.   I think you should get post of the month for your work here, and you obviously know what you are doing.

I just see a lot of replies from people who seem to be looking for help at finding a starting place when working with V-Log.

So, what I meant was that the Arri LUT generator is nice for getting near Rec 709 and playing around with rolloffs, but its not going to be as precise as Panasonic's LUT for getting to Rec.709 on a GH5.

5 hours ago, Stab said:

Here's a nice little video I shot yesterday when I was hired to make a portret of a family. This is only the intro part of the film.
All shot in 8-bit. Most of it in Full HD. I personally really like the colors of this cam and it's very gradable.

Really nice work here. It has that classic Panny look... the good look. Which lens(es) did you use and what picture profile?

5 hours ago, Towd said:

So, what I meant was that the Arri LUT generator is nice for getting near Rec 709 and playing around with rolloffs, but its not going to be as precise as Panasonic's LUT for getting to Rec.709 on a GH5.

Sorry! I thought you were replying to me.

There's also Ben Turley's LutCalc which is an incredibly powerful lut generator.

11 hours ago, mercer said:

Really nice work here. It has that classic Panny look... the good look. Which lens(es) did you use and what picture profile?

I also thought, that is some seriously beautiful looking color. You put that in perfect words: the CLASSY Panny look. A great unique

Panny color signature. Stab used CineD 8bit and Leeming Lut. His other videos show, that 8bit Pannys can look really great in natural and tungsten

light, but not so awesome in fluorscent light. Other posters have said that before, think JCS was one of them.

On 2017-5-7 at 7:55 PM, hyalinejim said:

Yes, the GH5 is second.

For sure, the 5D files have much more malleability than 10bit VLog. You can really go to town on Magic Lantern RAW - it's a much thicker file. It's almost pristine (except for ugly shadow noise).

But I think that it is actually a testament to the GH5 that I can do that. And what I've presented here is only the realisation of my preferences. The point that I want to make is that the 10bit 422 files are robust enough to undergo a fair bit of colour correction / grading. To me, the VLog coming from the camera is a "raw" material with massive potential, as the (properly) RAW footage from the 5D3 is a beginning, and not an end in itself. In the main GH5 thread you mentioned that there was a range of quality in the posted videos for the GH5, from video-ish to something more satisfactory. Believe me, if Magic Lantern RAW was accessible to the same kinds of users - and in the same numbers - as the GH5, you'd see a hell of a lot of bad 5D3 ML videos.

Exactly. You need 12 nodes or 20 minutes work to match this with that. But when the groundwork is done, you're in business. Today I made a nice lut that combines the Canon-like colour with a Lightroom film emulation preset. I loaded this into the camera as a monitoring lut and exposed until it looked good in the viewfinder. Came back and slapped the lut on and each shot was perfect. It took as long as it does to Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V.... with maybe a small WB and curves adjustment beforehand ;) This is the look that I'm into at the moment. In a year's time I might be into something different.

gh5_01.jpg
gh5_02.jpg
gh5_03.jpg
gh5_04.jpg
gh5_05.jpg
gh5_06.jpg
gh5_07.jpg
gh5_08.jpg
gh5_09.jpg
gh5_10.jpg

Big time!

Fantastic colour - any chance you can share that LUT? 

2 hours ago, austinchimp said:

Fantastic colour - any chance you can share that LUT? 

No, but if you own the VSCO film 04 pack you can try to convert the Provia 400x for Canon profile to a lut. Then add it after my GH5 to ML lut, add curves and saturation and you should get a very similar look.

You can convert ACR or Lightroom presets to luts by using the awesome IWLTBAP lut generator. Open a HALD in ACR or LR, apply a preset. Convert to PNG and bring in to IWLTBAP.