NX500 with ELECTRONIC shutter - best combo for RAW timelapses?

Pavel Mašek

I am checking Vimeo and youtube and wondering why there are no timelapses done with hacked NX500.

I think it has to be great tool for timelapse creators - just imagine same sensor with superb dynamic range in RAW + electronic shutter (which is possible in hacked NX500) + built-in intervalometer (+ USB charging). I think that 6.5k 14bit timelapse videos are quite future proof too ;-) .  Only downside is that min. shutter speed is 1/30s.

So has anyone tried to use NX500 this way?

(I would buy NX500 to my NX1 but still think it is still quite expensive so maybe one day... and do not want to use mechanical shutter on my NX1 for timelapses)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is exactly how I use my NX500, the small, compact size and silent shutter make it an awesome stills camera, very easy to put on a small travel tripod and just shoot away on location. It is also my main vacation/walkaround stills camera for the same reason. The dynamic range of this camera is truly awesome; as long as you can protect the highlights, at low ISO's, the shadows can be raised 100% in Lightroom with no visible noise of any kind. 

In this video here, one of my NX500 timelapses starts at 3:52, and there are two more starting at 5:08.

6 hours ago, Parker said:

This is exactly how I use my NX500, the small, compact size and silent shutter make it an awesome stills camera, very easy to put on a small travel tripod and just shoot away on location. It is also my main vacation/walkaround stills camera for the same reason. The dynamic range of this camera is truly awesome; as long as you can protect the highlights, at low ISO's, the shadows can be raised 100% in Lightroom with no visible noise of any kind. 

In this video here, one of my NX500 timelapses starts at 3:52, and there are two more starting at 5:08.

Nice video Parker, did you grade or use in-camera colour profiles? I got to ask cause I seen some insane results from those colour profiles from my own use and other peoples results. 

@Parker Excellent! Seem like its own film stock. Do you care to elaborate a bit (or preferably, a lot!).

The NX500 is so small, with the same NX1 sensor, that is a complete steal (if you own NX lenses anyway). I have the same exact use as Parker does, also a tiny silly Manfrotto tripod that fits even into my regular bag pack, or at the top of my camera bag (a big camera bag, not a huge one though) and I always carry it with me, as a B cam combo, or back up combo. I also have a small rig with a matte box and rails and stuff, recently I just used it as a B cam for interviews on a serious documentary shooting (I was doing the sound, and I joked with the DP, which of course we work together since the beginning of time, that I could pass the NX500 as a second cam and no one would even comment on it, and I did! Actually I saw the finished product and the NX500 is more in the interviews than the JVC LS300, but the JVC with its 4:2:2 broadcast ready codec performed slightly better in Resolve.)

@SMGJohn @Kisaha thanks guys! I used the tried-and-true Normal gamma, saturation -4, sharpness -10, contrast -3, master black level at 15, which are still my favorite settings I've ever tried. It gives the footage a really sweet look, even right out-of-camera and before grading, though this video is probably  one of my most heavily colored projects. 

Most of this was graded with DeLuts, though I do remember playing around with some of the RED gamma profiles in filmconvert. Lenses, mostly used sigma 18-35 and Rokinon 12mm and 85mm, though some of the really dreamy shots were with the Tokina-Anginaux 28-70 f/2.6-2.8. 

The timelapses were actually shot with the 16-50pz lens.