Sony to Sony speedbooster

scotchtape

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Sure, any other laws of physics you'd like me also break for you? Faster than light travel? Apples to fall upwards? Kiwis to fly?

easy peasy. just ask metabones to put there some nano black hole to change direction of light.

Also there is plenty of 35mm DOF adapter. but of course its to old and boring tech for such enlightened topic

19 hours ago, pablogrollan said:

There actually is a Sony to Sony speedboster, obviously Sony A-mount to Sony E-mount... and Kiwis do fly, mostly with Air New Zealand and Qantas :glasses: 

Picky picky! And he said FE mount, not A mount. 

And I know about Air NZ and Qantas, I'm an Aucklander ;-) Fly on Air NZ just last week for a shoot down in the South Island!

10 hours ago, dhessel said:

Contrary to popular belief it appears that this is actually possible although I do not know what the maximum fstop acheivable would be. It is called a wide converter and was patented by kodak about two decades ago. We have never seen one since Kodak owns the patent and never produced one themselves.

https://www.lens.org/lens/patent/US_5499069_A

Its a garbage patent.  The fact that it expired several years ago - and hence is now in the public domain - and yet nobody has used the "technology" to produce anything should tell you something.  The Kodak patent example is huge, slower than f/5, and basically doesn't work.  The clue that something is seriously wrong is that the entrance pupil of the attachment - which must lie at the exit pupil of the attached lens - is tiny and located right next to the first surface of the adapter.  This will result in severe vignetting with just about all lenses.  I can't imagine that any prototype was ever made.

If you restricted yourself to telephoto lenses having an extremely long back focal length you *might* be able to design one that works, although US5499069 is non-enabling and you would have to invent something from scratch.  The Kodak patent is completely useless if you want to make a general purpose focal reducer that will work with any SLR lens.