GH5 question - Stabilization and Red hand OFF symbol?

j169

Hello

I'm using my GH5 with various Canon EF lesns (85mm f/1.8 usm for instance) using a Commlite adaptor. I bought the body only because I couldn't find a kit.

I've got a red hand symbol with OFF on the screen. I can't find anything in the manual or online about it.

In video mode, in the stabilization settings I can't set focal length, and I can't set the operation mode. I . can only turn e-stablization on or off.

I can't see any proof the IBIS is working.

Does anyone know what I am doing wrong and what the red off hand means?

Thanks

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Ok, a follow on...

I've just tried some more lenses and this is the outcome.

Canon lenses without IS (85mm, 24mm, 50mm) - red hand symbol

Canon 18-55mm kit lens with IS - 5 axis symbol comes on

Helios lenses (I tried a couple of 44x lenses) - 5 axis symbol comes on

I don't get this at all? Why would the 5 axis symbol come on for the old manual lenses (obviously with no IS) and the lens with in-lens stabilization, but not for the canon lenses without IS ?

All connecting to the GH5 with the Commlite AEF-MFT AF - and the Helios lenses also using an electronic M42 to EF adaptor before going in to the Commlite.

Help! 

On 2017-5-6 at 0:58 AM, Orangenz said:

Sounds like the problem lies between the lens and the camera. 

That's what I'm trying to find out. Hoping some other Commlite users may have some experience. But there's always the possibility 1) there's a fault with the camera, or 2) i'm doing something wrong.

But I do understand the most likely issue is the Commlite adaptor. 

Thanks

3 hours ago, j169 said:

That's what I'm trying to find out. Hoping some other Commlite users may have some experience. But there's always the possibility 1) there's a fault with the camera, or 2) i'm doing something wrong.

But I do understand the most likely issue is the Commlite adaptor. 

Thanks

Jim Chung • 11 hours ago

I would caution buying these, there is a reason why the Baveyes Kipon adaptor is likely twice as much and why the Speedbooster Metabones is likely 3x as much. It's called quality manufacturing and optical performance. I bought a smart adaptor from this brand/Commlite and the flange machining was so coarse that it took a lot of force to mount it on the body and to mount the lens. It wouldn't provide AF, likely because the electrical contacts were not aligned because of faulty flange alignment. http://www.43rumors.com/viltrox-releases-two-new-canon-to-mft-electronic-adapters/#disqus_thread 

10 hours ago, Orangenz said:

Thanks but I've also read lots of people recommending the Commlite. 

My problem seems consistent - ie, the lenses that show the 5-axis always show it, and the ones that don't show it never do. So it seems unlikely to be a problem with the connections not being lined up - if it was I'd expect it to work sometimes and not other times.

And even though some of the lenses show the 5-axis stabilisation, even when using them the camera doesn't ask for - or let me manually set - the focal length.

If I was only using 'modern' lenses then maybe it's the lens passing the data to the camera but one of them is the Helios so presumably there's no way the camera can know what size lens is attached there?!

Just a couple of thoughts...

What happens when you only attach the adapter?

What happens when you tape of the connections on the adapter (camera side) and attach it?

What happens when you do the above with the Helios attached to it?

1 hour ago, bunk said:

Just a couple of thoughts...

What happens when you only attach the adapter?

What happens when you tape of the connections on the adapter (camera side) and attach it?

What happens when you do the above with the Helios attached to it?

Thanks, that's a good idea.

When I put on the adaptor only, it asks for the focal length.

When I tape over the connections on the adaptor and attach it, it also asks for the focal length.

It continues to ask for the focal length for all lenses I attach (Helios and the Canon lenses).

5-axis IBIS now comes up for all lenses too. 

Although obviously I lose the ability to auto-focus.

And my Canon 24mm pancake lens with fly-by-wire focus doesn't even focus manually when I turn the focus ring (edited to remove bit about the 85mm lens that is focussing manually - I was thinking it was fly-by-wire, but it's not).

Apart from suggesting the adapter is to blame, does this help in anyway? 

Thanks.

6 hours ago, bunk said:

Not unless you buy a new adapter ;)

Thanks :( But lots I've read online says it does work with the GH5, including IBIS, and the Canon lenses I'm trying. I did email Commlite but so far no reply.

3 hours ago, j169 said:

Thanks :( But lots I've read online says it does work with the GH5, including IBIS, and the Canon lenses I'm trying. I did email Commlite but so far no reply.

There is not quality control on most of these sorts of things. There can be huge range of internal parts used. Some work, some don't. The one I have doesn't work and actually crashes cameras. Won't buy cheap smart adaptor again. 

4 hours ago, fuzzynormal said:

I got the same issues on a native pany lens. The 100-300. I'll mess around and see if I can figure out the problem as well. 

Lets not assume it's an adapter causing the trouble however. 

Thanks Fuzzynormal, this is exactly what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. It's easy to jump to the conclusion it's the adaptor (and obviously that was my initial worry - and it may well be) but there's always the possibility it's another issue - a problem with the camera, something wrong with the settings etc. 

Look forward to hearing how you get along.

I finally contacted Commlite via their skype (no reply to my email). I guess because of the time difference it's been a stilted conversation so far ;) But their first reply is "GH5 is not compatible for now" . I've asked them if it will be and whether they can and will be updating the firmware. I'll post more if/when I hear more. 

:(

'sorry, there is no firmware update for the AEF-MFT. we may consider to develop it in the future.' 

So, anyone with a GH5 who has seen the great reviews of the Commlite on the GH4, save your money. It doesn't work with the GH5.